Location - Best part about this hotel....It's about a 10 minute walk to the subway, which is a quick ride to Times Square. Beats paying over $200/night in Manhatten. The neighbourhood looked a little run down but I think it's just old. Columbian restaurant close by serves up big servings. There was also a Williamsburg burger place close by - twas ok. Hotel was close to the highway.
Hotel - parking was limited, but I got a spot. Parking lot on the side of the hotel is tight. There is also parking in front of the hotel.
Breakfast - hard to find seating, crowded. Enough food to eat for me but my son got tired of the selection and wanted hot food. Oatmeal, yogurt, waffles, fruit, cereals, bread, bagels, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, fruits.
Room - small - we were 4 people. Appeared clean. Not enough towels and depending on when you asked, you may have to wait until housekeeping comes in the morning. Every morning housekeeping would knock on our door and ask if we needed our room cleaned that day. That's the first time this has happened to us. Shouldn't housekeeping just clean your room every day - no need to ask?
The Staff - no complaints about the staff. They were accommodating. Not overly friendly but certainly polite.
Bed Bugs - About 3 days after I arrived at the hotel, I got a few itchy spots on my arms and thought mosquitos in Central Park might have bit me that day. The next day I saw a bug on a towel on the bathroom floor. I googled bed bug images and confirmed this bug was a bed bug. This bug appeared in daylight. There must be an infestation if you can see it in the bathroom...away from the bed..in daylight. Did a little more googling later on that night and saw that some people only react to bed bugs bites after a few days, so I suspect the bugs were biting me from day 1. Some people might not even react to their bites. I think I was the only one in the room who reacted to the bites...and thank goodness I did. If I had no reaction, I would not have inspected every piece of clothing and placed each piece of clothing into garbage bags. Took 3 of us 3 hours, until midnight, to go through all the clothes, bags, etc. Since bed bugs come out when it's dark, I thought if I left the light on, they wouldn't come out...But they did,,,I slept in the car that night, and checked out the next day.
I was still reacting to bug bites days after I arrived home. Got corticosteroids prescribed to help with the blisters & itchiness due to the bites. Left the clothes, luggage in the sweltering heat of the car, for
days, in the hopes that if there were any little hitchhikers, they would die. Then washed/dried all the clothes. Left all the luggage in the garage for a month. Took a few weeks before all the blisters fell off. I still have scars where the bigger blisters were. Spent more time learning about these critters and worrying that I brought them home, given they can survive without a meal for months.
I would not recommend it...Although very reasonably priced it's not worth the $$ in savings in exchange for bed bug bites and the effort you have to put in to prevent them from coming home with you.
In fairness, I heard that NYC is the worst place wrt bed bug infestations, but maybe housekeeping should make it part of their job to vacuum each room, every day, instead of finding a way to skip out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located hotel near the Midtown Tunnel, just four miles from Manhattan off the Long Island Expressway (LIE) Rt. 495 and Brooklyn Queens Expressway (BQE), Rt. 278. The hotel is located 5.2 miles from La Guardia Airport (LGA)/ 9.8 miles from John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK). We are at a walkable distance to many popular restaurants serving local cuisine. Hop and skip to Manhattan, Times Square, Statue of Liberty, Empire State, Wall Street, Brooklyn, Broadway, CITI Field and Yankee Stadium and many points of interest daily by the #7 train which is just 3 blocks from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Red Roof Inn, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, Odigeo, Travelocity and Agoda so you can book your Red Roof Inn Queens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Queens
- Holiday Inn Queens
- Holiday Inn Long Island City
- Long Island City Holiday Inn
- Red Roof Inn Queens Long Island City, New York