Hello. I read some of the reviews on Trip advsior and was quite unsure about staying here but I can happily recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good value stay close to Manhattan. As much as I feel strongly about giving the Red Roof Inn a positive review I feel equally strongly about pointing out how unreasonable some of the other reviewers have been about this hotel.
Firstly, my review. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Everybody said good morning and if I asked any questions they either could answer them or would find out the answer. The rooms were perfectly adequate and plenty large enough. We had a very good nights sleep. Tea and coffee were provided and there was a flat screen TV should you want it. Breakfast was provided free of charge. Our room was cleaned to a high standard. I have no complaints whatsoever. Plus free parking. An American friend came to see us and he was allowed to park at the hotel for a few hours.
My response to some of the ridiculous criticisms of this hotel are as follows..
The rooms are too small - That is rubbish. How much room do you want!?
The staff are not helpful or friendly - Nobody I spoke to at the hotel had anything other than a very positive experience of the staff!
The breakfast area is too small and the breakfast is very limited. - Firstly the breakfast is free and varied enough for anyone. Waffles, Bagels, Toast, Cereal, Fruit etc. Plenty of juice and hot beverages. The breakfast area was empty enough for us to sit down most days. If we came down a little later a table soon became available. There are other seats you can use but the image created by one reviewer that breakfast was a nightmare is totally untrue. I suppose the breakfast area could be bigger but then some of the rooms would have to be taken away to facilitate this. The net result of that of course would be higher room prices. So be careful what you wish for.
Here's the thing that struck me. I have stayed in New York many times, always in the centre of Manhattan and always at a 4 to 5 star hotel. There were 3 porters in full uniform at the doors at all times at that hotel. Having not been to the USA for 7 years I naturally looked at staying there first this time. The trouble is the cost is now $3000 for the 5 nights I was intending to stay compared to the $600 it cost me last time! I am not a millionaire so was very happy to find the Red Roof hotel which cost me $2400 less for a hotel room and gave me a free breakfast as well! People moan on here that they have a 10 minute walk to the subway station from the hotel plus 15 minutes on the train to get into Manhattan, yet we all spend a lot of our days walking around the city or getting from one place to the other on the subway, a little extra is worth it if the savings are that great isn't it? The hotel even provide a shuttle service to the subway once an hour which you book with them, again free of charge and if you want picking up you call them and they come and get you!
My 5 star hotel of the past did not provide breakfast nor many of the other extras the Red Roof provide for free. I did notice however the lack of 3 porters on the door when I had a sneaky look at it when I got into the city and who knows what else had changed in 7 years other than the 5 fold price increase!
When we arrived at the Red Roof we did not have the King sized bed room I had been promised by the company I booked my trip through, THE FLIGHT CENTRE! After travelling for 12 hours in total I did not think my stay had got off to a very good start. Cutting a long story short it was THE FLIGHT CENTRE who had actually lied and said they had spoken to the hotel to confirm the correct reservation, they hadn't. The hotel manager came out to look into the issue personally and apologised for the problem. I made it clear this was not the fault of the hotel staff and I would be directing my anger at the correct target back in the UK. I wonder how many times third party organisations drop the ball on bookings only for the hotel to take the stick for it!? The manager was unable to rectify the problem at the time as the hotel was full.
If you want luxury then Manhattan is the place for you but if you're considering this hotel then price is obviously an issue. We would rather spend our money enjoying our holiday and buying things we want rather than spending it on a room that we will mostly be asleep in albeit in the city itself. Hotels such as the Red Roof offer an affordable way of visiting New York these days. What we saw of it we actually liked Long Island city. We ate there a couple of times and the food was very good. There are no shortage of places to eat that's for sure.
Stay here with complete confidence and enjoy New York.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Traveling for business or leisure, the Best Western® Long Island City is the ideal place to call your home away from home. We are a 100% non-smoking hotel that offers a complimentary full hot breakfast, limited complimentary parking for compact cars only and free Wi-Fi. The Best Western® Long Island City is located 20 minutes from Manhattan, New York City, Time Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park and the United Nation Building. We are minutes away from LaGuardia Airport (LGA), 30 minutes from John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and within walking distance to the MTA station (subway). Our 24 hour Guest Services Agents are available at the front desk to assist you with any questions or information you may need. We welcome the opportunity to call you our guest and we hope that you make the Best Western® Long Island City part of you experience in New York City. Newly renovated June 2017. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Best Western Long Island City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Queens
- Holiday Inn Queens
- Holiday Inn Long Island City
- Long Island City Holiday Inn
- Best Western Long Island City New York