“Never Again”

and 1 more site!
Best Western Long Island City
Ranked #25 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed January 30, 2013

- third floor including room reeked of fresh paint, my clothes that I never unpacked smelled of paint when I got home
- loud staff outside of room for majority of morning
-staff made no attempt to clean room which wasn't very clean to begin with...random mysterious stains throughout room
- overnight desk manager, Remi is Rude and unprofessional on the phone and in person. Experienced this myself and then watched as he was nasty to other customers who called in to request information. Who hired this man? (Reservations were made online for the wrong night accidentally, when speaking to him within 20 min of booking and explaining the situation, his response: "that's not my problem, why are you calling here about that, sell the room to someone, you know every hotel has the same policies"; I'm sure they do, and policy is policy, but I bet they also know how to speak to their customers with respect and understanding.
This was an emergency stay, ended up booking 2 nights, one of which wasn't used)
- took over 40 min to find a spot that I'm pretty sure was illegal anyway
- front entrance sliding doors broken- had to set all bags down and manually pry doors apart and push them back together.....?
- hallways messy and cluttered with large bags of garbage and laundry in the middle of the afternoon
- careful leaving! Hotel located on a busy off ramp, crossing the street is an adventure in car dodging
+ microwave / fridge / coffee in room, very convenient
+ beds comfortable, lots of extra pillows
+ breakfast lounge was well stocked and staff was friendly

• Stayed: January 2013
Ignacio F, Manager at Best Western Long Island City, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Queens Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies.about the situation with the night manager,but Im doing my best to correct this incident ,and make sure don't happen again.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel in mid-December; spacious room with microwave and refrigerator, coffee maker and a spacious bathroom and always very clean, as was the room.
At any time you can have a cup of coffee to be taken in the lobby, staff always friendly and helpful, the morning a hearty breakfast with a variety of bagels, muffins and jams, yogurt and cereals, plus the ability to make the waffles, coffee good, only downside fruit juices, watered down or not present two days out of four.
Well located hotel with the opportunity to take the bus number 67 down entrance to the hotel and then the subway or the bus B52 and be in downtown Manhattan in 40 minutes, or 400 meters on foot and by subway or B52 being at the center of the world, Times Square in 30 minutes.
The area is very quiet and there are interesting shops, pastry chef from the European to the well-stocked supermarkets and at a good price.
I think it's a good choice to visit NYC at low cost

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Savetta60
Ignacio F, General Manager at Best Western Long Island City, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

We appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof. We always enjoy hearing about the positive experiences our guests have at our hotels.

At this time I would like to extend the opportunity for you to share your experience with others. TripAdvisor is one of the top travel review Internet sites that allows travelers to read and write reviews about hotels nationwide. Your review can help others make their choice of hotel with confidence.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Let's face it, you are only reading this review because you have already seen that this is a very affordable hotel. Please do not let any of the prior reviews discourage you from checking this place out. The staff here is beyond great! I came for New Years when every room was booked and the front desk, being very busy, still took the time to go over a subway map with me and even write out directions on paper so I didn't have to carry a bulky map around. Our room was plenty big and very clean. When we first checked in the fridge wasn't cold and there was no tv remote..... But get this..... I turned the knob in the fridge and asked the front desk for a remote and BOOM! Everything was fine! Maybe others should try such crazy things before they write a bad review! Breakfast area is kinda small but so what, just go make your own waffle in the waffle maker and eat it in your room if there are no seats down there. They also have fresh juice, cereal, coffee... If you want the four seasons treatment, go pay for it at the four seasons, I'll be here with a smile on my face and a few hundred extra bucks in my pocket!

Oh yeah, the train to time square is just a few blocks away and it's only a 9 minute ride. They will even drive you there!

As for the bed bug claims... Not one sign of a bite on myself or my wife! This is NYC though and even the finest hotels have had problems with bed bugs! It is a problem that has nothing to do with cleanliness.

Thank you for reading my review. I know it's a little long but I felt compelled to speak my peace after reading negative things about this place. I would recommend it without hesitation!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Jonesthegi
Ignacio F, General Manager at Best Western Long Island City, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

At this time I would like to extend the opportunity for you to share your experience with others,TripAdvisor is one of the top travel review Internet sites that allows travelers to read and write reviews about hotels nationwide. Your review can help others make their choice of hotel with confidence.
Ignacio Fonseca

Reviewed December 26, 2012

I stayed here last week and was totally disappointed. First our confirmation said we were in a upgraded room, but they gave us a standard room. When I inquired why not the upgraded room I was told they didn't have any available. The man at the front desk was very rude. I asked to speak to a manager and he said she wasn't available. I said I would wait. Finally she was availabe and said she would see what she could do. We got the proper room after she cleaned it herslef. The room was decent, at the time but now looking back I'm sick to my stomach. When I got home I noticed bits appearing on my arms BED BUGS! I read it takes a day or so for them to appear. The bed was hard as a rock worst bed ever.

Also during our stay they advertised a shuttle to the subway well... Only one of our four days the man was actually there. We had to carry our bags to and from the hotel. When asked for the cabs number they gave us a towncar service which wanted to charge $30 for a short trip.

I will never stay here again nor recommend it to anyone. Your better off at the days inn up the road!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Bumbleberry9

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Queens Red Roof. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.
I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At Red Roof, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,

Ignacio Fonseca
Red Roof Inn - Queens

Reviewed December 19, 2012

The hotel is really nice, the rooms are big enough and clean. The only problem for me was the breakfast. Honestly, it was almost nothing to eat... :(
The location is really good, it took me 7 minutes to get to the train station, so I was in Manhattan in max. 20 minutes. I was alone so, at the beginning I was afraid of coming back to the hotel at night, but the neighbourhood was really safe and quiet. So, I used to come back every night around 12 or 1 o`clock and nothing bad happened :)
It`s a great choice!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Carina L
Ignacio F, General Manager at Best Western Long Island City, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

At this time I would like to extend the opportunity for you to share your experience with others. You can post information about your stay at our hotel on www.tripadvisor.com. TripAdvisor is one of the top travel review Internet sites that allows travelers to read and write reviews about hotels nationwide. Your review can help others make their choice of hotel with confidence.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

After reading some bad reviews for this hotel prior to our trip to NY it is fair to say we were a little anxious before we arrived as we didn't know what to expect.

However, i am pleased to say that we had a pleasant stay. The rooms are cleaned daily and bedding is always changed.
This hotel offers complimentary breakfast too which most don't in NY. This made things convenient for us as we were up early every morning ready to explore Manhattan. There was plenty of choice and always enough food provided for everyone.

Even though the hotel is only a ten minute walk from the subway station, there is a free shuttle service on offer from the hotel which can be used for those mornings when your legs need a rest! However, it is a good idea to walk so that you get to know what shops/restaurants are in the area. Pete's diner is just across the road from the station and is a great place to go for food!
We stayed on the third floor where there was no disturbances from outside which again is something you wont find in manhattan.

As a family we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good deal on accommodation for their trip to NY!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AG2012_12
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Overall this was a great value option. Our room was clean and well fitted. The service staff were extremely helpful and the shuttle to the subway makes getting around to the sights super easy! The hotel was undergoing some renovations, so it was a blend of old and new finishings, but overall this was a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a value hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, get a room well away from the lobby as the complimentary breakfast crowd wi...