“Inexpensive option in NYC.”

Best Western Long Island City
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed in the hotel for 9 nights on B&B basis.I must say that the breakfast is very basic + the paper plates and plastic cutlery as well as the tiny breakfast area...but at least they make an effort to include something in the very reasonable price.
We found all the staff very helpful and nice.
It is about 10 minutes walk to the metro station in a nice,quiet and safe area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had booked a room for a week with a king size bed on May 26 for 9/26-10/6 and received a confirmation # and they took my credit card # as well., mind you I had called them up directly, didn't use the internet. They answered all my questions and I felt good about my booking. I was coming from CA and since my plane would be arriving about 9:30 pm I called THE DAY BEFORE to let them know I was coming in late and was confirmed that was alright and they still had my king size room.

When we arrived at LaGuardia we found that one of my wife's luggage did not make the trip with us (that's a story for another time). By the time we pick-up our rental car and arrived at the hotel
it was about 12:30 am. Exhausted, but finally got to we thought check-in. The person at the front desk was nice and we gave him our name and confirmation #. After asking me alot of questions that he was inputing in his computer we start waiting. Five minutes, then ten minutes pass, he is looking at his computer and not saying a word. Then he lets me know that they tried running my credit card earlier and it was rejected and did not have my room. REJECTED WTF, never happened before, so my wife immediately calls the credit card company right in front of him and
they tell her that there was never any rejection today or ever on my credit card. After telling this to the front desk clerk, he starts with all this BS. He finally tells us that he has one room left on the 1st floor that he can give us. Sounds good, my wife asks to see the room. Well she comes out screaming, its a twin bed, on a steel frame with what looks like a prison mattress (that thin), and the rest of the room was not any better. After another 10 minutes of arguing, he says that he
will look for another room for us at nearby hotels. He finally finds a hotel that has 1 room left with a king-size bed, the Fairfield Inn about 5 minutes away. He than tells us he got a great deal for
us (were thinking, at least we will have a comp room for tonight), it will cost an extra $50 more than we were going to pay with Red Roof. At this point it was almost 1:30 am, where the hell will we be going in New York. Needless to say, we told him to hold the room and finally got into our room at the Fairfield at about 2 am, as it turns out the hotel was nice and we stayed the whole week.

This was a long review on what happened to us with the Red Roof Inn. I would recommend that you stay away as I'm sure they where getting more for my room since they where sold out. This was a very deceptive way to treat a customer and lie about what happened.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SDLinda
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I booked this hotel as i had stayed in Long Island City before found Manhattan easy and quick to reach so why pay expensive city prices? Its around a 10 minute walk to the 7 train. The area is fine with no problems after dark. The hotel check in was smooth. There are safety deposit boxes behind the desk. The room was clean and tidy. There is a bit of noise from a main road outside but you are in NYC! I didnt bother with the complimentary breakfast as Petes Diner is just up the road for brilliant hot breakfasts. If your on a tight budget then give this hotel a go. It will also get you used to using the subway.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jambo1998
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in October 2012. Rooms 323 and 325 have bedbugs. I was bitten and two friends in another room were fairly eaten alive. The management doesn't even bother to get the hallways vacuumed. I felt dirty staying there even before I was bitten. The breakfast room is not very big but people tend to eat quickly so it isn't really an issue. The self serve breakfast is substantial which is the one good thing. The photos you see on Trip Advisor are older and a bit misleading: the place doesn't look that good in real life and is definitely not clean. When we brought live bedbugs to the front desk upon checkout they seemed unconcerned and unapologetic.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hugsinvan
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We found this hotel was the cheapest place too stay for our 1 night trip to NYC. About 3 blocks from the subway it was a decent location. The rooms however were subpar. The first room they gave us smelled of mold so we asked to switch which they did without a problem. Our second room smelled better but everything looked like it hadn't been vaccuumed in some time. The whole place needs a facelift but it is decent for the price. One perk was the continental breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This place was great. We booked thru priceline and were able to get a non-smoking room with a queen size bed for $119/night -- and it was a "pay when you stay" room so they didn't even charge the credit card until we checked out.

This hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the 7 line at the 40th St-Lowery stop -- it'll take you right into Manhattan. The end of the line is at the Times Square stop - it takes about 20-30 minutes.

We flew into JFK - took the airtrain to the E and transferred to the 7. Took us about an hour but it's MUCH cheaper than a cab. I used to live in NY so I'm familiar with the subways - that might make a difference.

The hotel itself was clean and the staff was friendly. We arrived around 1pm and were actually able to check in right away. The rooms are small (but it's NYC so everything is tight on space) - it was kind of like a room in a Microtel. But, it was clean the the AC worked. Even in Oct, we kind of needed it. The room had a mini fridge and microwave, a full size ironing board and iron, coffee pot and hair dryer. Free wifi also.

The beds were a little too firm and the pillows kind of sucked. But, for 120 a night, near Manhattan, I'll take it. Our other option was sleeping on the couch at a friend's place. We were on the second floor on the front side of the building which faces a very busy street. It's a little loud but it's NY and I knew that it would be. I'm used to that.

Breakfast was pretty good BUT... GO EARLY. During the week, they serve breakfast from 6:30-9am. If you don't get down there before 7AM, the place is a MADHOUSE. Seriously, it's not a large space for breakfast and it gets super crowded. The food was good. They had some cereal options, toast, bagels, muffins, a Belgium waffle maker, yogurt, apples, oranges, and several juice and coffee options. They have sort of a breakfast attended who keeps everything full and clean and they will often come around and take your trash from you.

The stop on the 7 line has a lot around it - there's a CVS, a few fast food places, a bodega/deli, a few bars, and a pizza place. Great for grabbing a slice late at night.

As a former New Yorker myself - I was pretty pleased with finding this place. If you don't mind walking, it's a great location to stay. The price is great and the breakfast saves you from spending a fortune on overpriced eggs and coffee in the city.

Room Tip: Get to breakfast EARLY. It gets really crowded down there.