“Good find in LIC!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 28 Hotels in Long Island City
Fort Collins, CO
“Good find in LIC!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Z NYC Hotel in Long Island City 6/14-6/17 for vacation. We were attending a friend's wedding at the nearby Foundry so it was a convenient spot in that regard. We were quite pleased with the contemporary look of the hotel and the very helpful staff; the room was small but the space was well used. And honestly, we spent very little time in the room so it was just fine. The pros:

-Free shuttle service into Manhattan all day on the hour (return trip is on the half hour, free as well). The shuttle is a short 15-20 minute ride and it is quite convenient! There are also bikes available for use which is a nice ammenity.
-We had the hotel call their car service several times and it was affordable and very easy
-Nice big showers and clean bathrooms!
-Outstanding view of Manhattan!! We left the curtains open the entire time so that we could fall asleep and wake up to the view
-Amazing roof top that offered outstanding views and would be a nice place to enjoy some coffee, reading or a cocktail. Sadly, we never got to enjoy a drink up there since it was only open for the club in the evening and most nights we were and out and about.
-Very accommodating and friendly staff
-Affordable and yummy breakfast buffett ($10/pp). Restaurant food was good too!!
-Free wifi!

Things you should know:
-As other reviewers noted, the A/C was not on (or working) in our room. As I mentioned before we were rarely in our room and it cooled off a bit at night but the morning and daytime was pretty uncomfortable. We arrived back at the hotel pretty late every evening we were there and knew that nothing would be done about it at that point in the night so we just kept not asking. If you check in and there to be no AC, tell someone right away. It is pretty unbelievable that these things aren't in working condition when you pay this much for a hotel in the summer.
-The neighborhood is very industrial and while it is not necessarily a con, there aren't a ton of places nearby for food/drinks, etc. This wasn't a problem for us but I could see how it would be irritating if you weren't aware!
-The Club is open on the weekend evenings and draws a large crowd of non-hotel guests. Totally fine, just be prepared to hear the thumping of house music until 4am. My husband and I are 30 and we were told by the bartender that Friday night was "more for the younger crowd" which kind of hurt! Was true though, this is not a place that 30somethings go to hangout it looks like. We were on the 9th floor which was fantastic for the view, but not so fantastic as this hotel is 11 floors high so the noises from the club were extremely loud in our room. Also, because of the AC situation, we had to keep our window open. Just be aware!

All in all, this was a fantastic place for us to stay for our very first NYC adventure!! Hopefully we can return someday!

Room Tip: Higher floors offer great views! Just be aware of the noise from the rooftop club:)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LolovesZ
Lisa G, Director of Sales at Z New York Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Lauren,

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to better ourselves and offer each of our guest top customer service. In regards to your A/C complaint, we do have engineering on property 24 hours a day for such situations. I understand you where in and out of the hotel -- but we are more than happy to make repairs during your absence. We are always available to assist you day or night, no matter what time you call. Our rooftop parties which we host every Fridays and Saturday nights during the summer months are welcome to all hotel and non-hotel guest. All are welcome to enjoy the beautiful view and specialty cocktails (must be 21 years of age of course). Should you not be interested in our rooftop parties, the Z Lounge is also open with a more relaxing atmosphere and serving dinner until 2am (fri/sat and midnight during the week).

The neighborhood known for its industrial feel does host an array of fabulous restaurants that are within a few minutes’ walk or quick cab ride should you want to venture outside the Z. Our front desk staff is always happy to make suggestions on whatever your taste buds prefer.

We hope to see you back at the Z NYC Hotel soon. Should you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Regards,
Lisa Gneo
Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Hotel Z is conveniently located next to the Queensborough Bridge on Long Island. The unique location provides some breathtaking midtown skyline views from the roof top bar. A free hourly shuttle service provided by the hotel will drop you off or pick you up near the Lexington Ave and E 59th St. crossing. Just brilliant! Don't expect to do some sightseeing around the hotel though. Just take the shuttle.

The rooms are very modern and the right size. Worth noticing is the spacious shower. If I need to mention a negative it should definitely be the A/C. It's having a very hard time keeping the room cool and makes a tremendous amount of noise. Keep your ear plugs ready!

Hotel Z seems to attract a young clientele. Rooms are very trendy and you'll be experiencing a lot of catchy tunes throughout the entire hotel.

Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. They'll help you with any question you might have.

The bar/restaurant has a nice atmosphere. Breakfast is worth mentioning. Next to fresh fruit and fresh juices it also provides a broad choice.

Free wireless internet access is available throughout the entire hotel. Notice that the hotel does not feature any fitness room or swimming pool.

In summary, a great place to start your NYC discovery!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank xof_be
Madeira Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights for Valentines Day. We totally enjoyed every aspect of our stay!! We got a room on the 11th floor ( top floor) and we were excited about that. The views from our room were amazing !! It was very cold during our stay so the rooftop bar wasn't open. The rooms are smaller BUT every inch of space is used, we have stayed in larger rooms that weren't as efficient and functional as this one! The shuttle service is one of the best features in my opinion!! The driver was extremely personable, he went out of his way to help us, they were always timely. Customer service is very important to everyone who worked there and it showed !! When we asked for things they were done right away AND the hotel was full when we were there !! We really didn't see or understand the 'bad' neighborhood thing, we had no probelms had dinner and drinks in the neighborhood, it was great!! We asked others staying there at the time and they had no probelms either!! We were very comfortable during our stay! We will definitely be returning !!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donna B
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

After finding every one of our usual Manhattan hotels either fully booked or over $500/night I came upon this hotel.The Z was exactly as advertised...reasonable price and it is all about the views. Basic clientele are Euro young couples and singles. We were on the 11th floor and because it was midweek that was great because the roof top lounge was not open. Had that been open I would not want the 11th floor as that lounge just has to be loud and attract lots of people. Staff were pleasant, rooms small but functional, breakfast buffet okay but too bad it is in a very very dark lower level. Shuttle totally reliable. All in all I would definitely recommend the Z. The one down factor is if you do not want to walk the city from morning to later in the night with no break or to change for dinner etc. , taking the shuttle back to the hotel and then heading out again would be a pain. As mentioned the industrial area is not at all conducive to walking out to find any other place to eat. Very easy transfer to LaGuardia and they offered to get a town car for $25...not sure what taxi cost is. Our Carmel transfer was about the same cost as their option. I would stay again mid week only not weekend but if you are young and like the "hip scene" this may appeal to you on the weekends in summer. The Z is innovative and a great concept. We also like Brooklyn but this is closer to midtown.

Room Tip: ask for upper floors if not weekend.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gene
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was planning my trip to NYC in June and July 2013 and was trying to book it through booking.com. But I accidentally hit the wrong month/date and wrong button to book Z New York in August instead. I realize it right after and called booking.com as well as the Z hotel right away.
I am really satisfy with the service of Rich at the front desk when I called, and the reservation department of Z hotel to cooperate with Booking.com to help cancel my reservation without penalty.
I already booked my reservation at Z New York for my July trip and I can't wait to check out this hotel and will update my review of this hotel.

I am also really satisfy with the service of booking.com. They answer my call right away and make the action right away with a follow up email.
I always use booking.com to book my accommodation and will continue to do so as I know I can trust their service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DenCT
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the Z Hotel for a romantic getaway on June 1, 2013 (Room 808) and were pretty disappointed. The rooftop would theoretically lend itself to some nice dimmed-down lounge atmosphere, but instead they had a DJ who played party music at a volume that made it impossible to have a decent conversation, and lots of young party folks were hanging out there shouting and making sure a relaxed romantic hangout on the rooftop was not an option.

The rooms have a great view as advertised, but they are tiny and have a very cold and dark interior design which we found unappealing. Outright terrible, however, was the air-conditioning, which made a heck of a noise throughout the night that made it absolutely impossible to find decent sleep :(

All in all a real let-down, which decent breakfast buffet and the nice staff couldn't compensate for. We will not come again, and we definitely don't recommend couples on the search for a romantic night to go there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Johannes7890
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I have been in NYC many times before, stayed at hotels in Times Square, Jersey City and across central park, this past weekend (May 2013) I stayed at the Z for two nights and now have become their biggest fan; the front desk were very welcoming, housekeeping and staff were excellent, I really felt welcomed and the entire staff valued my business. The rooms were very clean, the bed was comfortable and the water pressure was very good especially after a long day in the city, and the view to the city both our room and the rooftop was actually better than being in Manhattan. I kept the shades wide open during my entire stay.
The location, the shuttle service, and its view of the city and ease of parking and its top hotel service have easily moved the Z up on my ratings chart. Next time I visit NYC, I will definitely be Z’ing at the Z Hotel. If your travels take you to NYC I highly recommend the Z Hotel, they will not disappoint.

Room Tip: every room has a great view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4.5 of 5 stars 296 reviews
The Paper Factory Hotel
#12 of 28 in Long Island City
4.0 of 5 stars 466 reviews
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York ...
#1 of 28 in Long Island City
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
#280 of 478 in New York City
4.0 of 5 stars 9,483 reviews
Wyndham Garden Long Island City ...
#11 of 28 in Long Island City
4.0 of 5 stars 1,001 reviews

Been to Z New York Hotel? Share your experiences!