“Disappointing at best”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
NJ
“Disappointing at best”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My experience with this hotel was unpleasant from start to finish. I found the reservation desk to be very uninformed and disinterested. We had to make a reservation here for a wedding we were attending in LIC. The hotel we had originally booked at was damaged by Hurricane Sandy and not able to honor the reservations that were made well in advance. Hotel Z was aware of the situation and rather than doing the right thing and assist in accomodating those people who were displaced by the storm the management decided instead to cash in on the misfortune of others. I was initially told they would not allow us to book a single night that it had to be a full weekend booking. Then I was told after I complained to the manager that they would book the one night but that they would charge for the "king suite" rate. I was told I was being done a favor.
I made the reservation and then called back a few days later to ask if they honored AAA discounts. I am still trying to understand what I was told in response. The reservation agent said "Yes we honor them, but only when the hotel is not full and the hotel is full that night" That made absolutely no sense to me. Either you honor AAA or you don't.

On check in I was told that the "king suite" I had paid top dollar for was not availlable even though this is what I paid for in advance. I was downgraded to a different room and given a small credit.

The room itself was small, dark, and in need of shower repair. Areas of mold were everywhere in that shower. The bed was fine as was the decor of the room. What wasn't fine was the lack of hot water for the shower. What also wasn't fine was the inability to turn the thermostat down in the room. Hot room, cold shower. Lovely combination.

Finally I would mention that I received a follow up email from the owner after our stay asking me for my comments on the stay. I let him know what I thought about the reservation process, the issues with not getting the room that I paid for, and the problems with the shower . I never heard back from him. Perfect ending.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank BBE2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I wanted to spend my very first night in the Big Apple in a hotel that screamed 'hello, this is New York, you've arrived'. This place fit the bill perfectly. It's a funky, new hotel with sensational views from the rooftop. Loved the reception area, stencilled NY yellow cabs on the walls of the room, the music in the late-opening bar (which suited the young, cool, vibe of the hotel) and perks like decent free coffee in the mornings, free wi fi and utterly reliable and fast shuttle service in and out of manhattan. Yes, the staff sometimes have a cool manner to match their appearance but overall i found the service good, particularly from the drivers and bell men, and problems (not that I had many) quickly resolved. A tip: i missed the shuttle bus on one occasion and walked back to the hotel from the nearest subway station. even though it was early evening i felt unsafe. Stick with the shuttle bus.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PaulaHWithoutAnAlias
NYC
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Be aware of deal on Groupon. Called them and it is hard to make reservation between 1/1/13 and 3/31/13. Z NYC mentioned 72 hour cancelation policy, however they did not mentioned Groupon "7 day refund policy," so if your traveling schedule changes for any reason, most likely you will lose your money or you will be forced to use Z NYC sometimes in the future at full price. Also, winter time in NYC can bring winter storms, airports get closed, so keep that in mind. This hotel might be good and cheap place to stay, but trying to fill rooms in slow period and mitigating risk by using "Groupon 7 day refund policy scam" is dishonest.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jakesov
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I stayed here for a week with my teenage daughter. I was looking for something affordable, with easy access to Manhattan, that would feel like a treat--so this little boutique hotel was just what we needed. The views of the city are AMAZING, the staff is very warm and helpful, and the decor and rooms were perfect.

The shuttle in and out of the city was always on time and always available. And, the few times we missed it (our own fault) and didn't want to wait for the next opportunity, the subway was only about a ten-minute walk away. In the evening when we were out too late to catch the shuttle, a taxi ride was pretty cheap, too (I think around $15?).

Standout features:
- The minibar is stocked with plenty of drinks and snacks, and reasonably priced.
- The bathroom, shower, sink and vanity are very upscale.
- The decor in the lobby and the rooms is fun.
- The staff at the front desk is friendly.
- The staff in the kitchen/bar area in the morning is helpful and nice.

The sound level on the upper floors might be an issue for some people. The night we arrived was a Friday and they put us on the 2nd floor. At first I balked and asked for a room on a higher floor, but he explained he'd put us there on purpose because there was a party on the roof, and that we could move later, so we stayed there that night and it was reasonably quiet. The next morning we moved up to the 9th floor. That night it was pretty loud, mostly just bass thumping, but we were worn out from our day's excursions so we slept fine anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Room Tip: As mentioned, the top floors can be noisy if there is a party on the roof.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This little gem of a hotel was a holiday maker .... My daughter was blown away by the views ... Rooms were great ... Showers fantastic ...:-) beds were unbelievably comfortable ... & the staff so friendly & helpful 10/10 not forgetting the free shuttle to & from manhattan ...great touch ;-) from me & my daughter thanks for a great experience we will be glad to promote your hotel in the future & hope to return again soon ;-)

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Chrismatt38
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel does not offer any amenities like fitness or big rooms it is a good value for the money with the free shuttle service to manhattan every hour.

As mentioned the rooms are rather small and I really don't get, why one has a huge shower but the sink in the bedroom.

View is spectacular. Bar/restaurant is way to expensive. Rather go around the corner to 5 star.

• Stayed December 2012
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed December 19, 2012

A friend and I spent a week at the Z hotel. I have to say that there were no complaints. I was greeted and attended by a friendly staff. Shout outs to Samantha, Henry, Richard, and Rob! They are the best! They were friendly, approachable and always available to contact at any time. My friend and I became friends with them and by far they told us what bars to check out, they were on point with their information and their work ethic. The bar tenders of the hotel are also great people especially Derek. He was very friendly and always having us get great drinks. Overall, rooms were comfortable, staff are amazing, the hotel has a nice comfy lounge where you can sit back, relax and enjoy a drink. The hotel also provides a Z bus which drops you on 59th and Lex which is perfect for shopping. Thanks Amin, who drives the bus for telling us the hot spots at night. Amin is also very professional, approachable and friendly. Definitely check out the Z!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends