“No hot water for 4 days/terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Vetiver

Hotel Vetiver
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“No hot water for 4 days/terrible service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

We booked this hotel from Friday to Monday. There was NO hot water when we checked in. The water wasn't even warm - it was COLD! After asking the front desk staff SEVERAL times, we were informed that there wouldn't be hot water until next Tuesday due to maintenance issues. We requested to speak with the hotel manager but the staff on duty Friday said there was nothing he could do because the manager was out of reach during the weekend and we simply won't have hot showers till Monday. The person at the front desk didn't even apologize or seem to care at all. He handed me a business card of the sales manager Brittany Mosley and told us to email her.

On Saturday morning, a lady at the front desk told us we could either check out or she could try seeing if she could give us discount as compensations. She was polite and apologized, however, two hours passed that she still couldn't find the manager. We decided to check out – we just didn’t want to live THREE days without hot showers. We had to book a hotel in New York City during weekend on the same day just a few hours before check-in!

The room was clean but the amenities were terrible for the money you paid. The pot for the coffee maker was missing. There was no iron in the room so we needed to borrow one - and the ironing board were dirty. There was no bed lights at all and the light switch location was poorly designed: when we go to bed, we had to turn off the switch by the door and illuminate our way back to the beds using our cell phone. The only thing nice about this hotel is its location, however I would recommend AVOID this place if you can. The quality of service is inconsistent. The manager is not responsive and irresponsible (still no response from Brittany Mosley ). It’s been an terrible experience. We're still waiting for the refund of our last 2 nights we didn't stay....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank queequeg123
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor.

It is very unfortunate that you were left with a less than lackluster perspective of our property and staff members. You are correct, during your time with us this weekend, our hot water heater went into mechanical failure and our guests were left with no hot water. To solve a problem of this magnitude, we needed to arrange a professional plumber to come to our property, which could not be done until Monday morning.

As I have already discussed with you, it is unfortunate that getting the hot water working again for you was beyond the scope of talents that I or my staff posses. I understand the disappointment and frustration that you undoubtedly experienced because of this and I personally apologize for that.

I personally do not believe that it is fair to criticize the staff to be lacking of service as they handled an emergency situation the best way they possibly could. We truly value our customers and take pride in making sure that concerns are addressed quickly and consistently to the best of our abilities.

I am glad that you have shared your perspective with the online community. As I have already communicated to you through our conversations, we have been hard at work to get this situation resolved quickly for our guests. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience this has created for you and your guests. I hope you will share some of your positive experiences with the online community as well. I thank you again for choosing Hotel Vetiver for your accommodations.

Brittney Mosley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My stay in this hotel was simply awful, from start to finish. I only stayed one night, however:
Air conditioning in the room didn't work; continually woken by noise of loud trains going past; when woken I saw insects crawling across the floor; there was no hot water AT ALL in the morning; when I gingerly placed my soap on the holder it fell to the floor; the Internet didn't work; I was waiting for fully 12 minutes at the top of the elevator in the morning when all I wanted was to get out of there; the cab driver they ordered tried to charge me double the actual fare to manhattan.

I've had more comfortable stays in Middle Eastern hostels; it's incredible that hotels like this can charge $150-$200 per night, next time I'll pay the extra $40 and stay in manhattan.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Doctor004
HotelVetiver, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest;

Thank you so much for taking an extra moment to post your recent experience at Hotel Vetiver.
We are sorry that your stay at Hotel Vetiver was not what you expected.
After investigating your past stay with us I have found that you stayed with us in a time where we had a major boiler issue. This was something unexpected and was given the highest priority. This is permanently fixed. Our AC system is not supposed to be loud For this type of issues, our front desk staff is available 24/7 to assist you with any special request and/or issues.
Since we are located only 1 minute away from the 39 avenue station unfortunately we cannot control outside noise and some rooms might be affected by this.
We are currently in the process of changing our current router company and internet provider to ensure highest service possible.
On the other hand, our housekeeping department is extremely cautious to precisely check and clean every single corner of the rooms. Our rooms are exterminated twice every month to avoid any insects from coming in the rooms/ Hotel common areas. We take pride on our amazing housekeeping team and the excellent service that they deliver.
We work with an Elite car service company which has a set of flat rates depending on where you’re going. Price can be quoted before and this type of misunderstandings can be definitively avoided .Again we thank you for your feedback and this will help us in our continuing process of unstoppable improvement!
We look forward to having you with us again!
Warm Regards;

Eslainy Fernandez
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here because I had an interview not far from the hotel. The hotel is cute. The room is small but updated. The staff was amazing. I had a lot of questions seeing as how I have never been to that part of New York. They were friendly and kind and answered all my questions. I would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HotelVetiver, Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review!

I am just delighted that you shared your experiences with our staff. It is just wonderful for us to be able to make being in a new city just a little easier.

We are a small hotel, so we rely on making a connection with all of our customers; when customers like yourself have shared your experience, you can only imagine how grateful we are! We look forward to having you here again and thank you so much for such a thoughtful review! I wish you good luck with the job!

Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The font desk staff tried to offer us a tiny room with a small bed for two instead of a real double bed room. The baggage did not fit into the room. The receptionist told us to leave the hotel (it was 8 pm) with no cancellation fee. Finally she offered us a room with a real double bed, but in the first floor where you hear a constant noise from the air handling units in the outside.
At the breakfast service we were offered expired milk, it expired a week before (they retired the expired bottle after we warned them two times the staff).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Xavi_Puig
Thank you for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor.

I have personally investigated your experiences and found that there was a miscommunication between the OTA (online travel agency) and our hotel. You reserved a "Studio Room with Double Bed and balcony". On the OTA that you reserved the room on our hotel property was given a description of a Double Bed. Because we have many international guests which view the OTAs the name of Double is denoted like this in many of the countries to describe what the United States would call a "Full" bed. In order to help discourage parties of 2 or larger from reserving the room, we have made it impossible for larger parties to reserve this room. Therefore if you select a party of 3 or 4 you will not be able to reserve this room.

Many times when you reserve a room on an OTA you will only receive a very generic description of the room you are interested in. If you are trying to reserve a room for 4 people and it will only let you input 2, I would highly suggest giving the hotel a call to find out whether this is the most compatible room for you. We have staff available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist with answering questions about the hotel, parking, room types, directions or even recommendations in the city. I would like to add that expectations of what is large or small has largely to do with where you traveling. NYC being a city where space is a luxury, may seem to have very small rooms if you are used to staying in other places. We have been told that our rooms are actually quite spacious for NYC.

I apologize that because of this miscommunication and our hotel being nearly sold out, we were only able to oblige a larger room on a high floor. It is our priority to make sure that you are as comfortable as possible, and with the late notice (at check-in) that you would need a different room than what was reserved, this was our best available option for you.

I apologize that the size of the bed you were reserving was ambiguous. It is difficult to chose one name for our beds that translates in all of the countries that our guests hail from. I would like to offer that we are at your service 24 hours a day by either telephone: 718-440-9933 or email: info@hotelvetiver.com.

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We found Hotel Vetiver on Priceline for a great price for a Queen room with a balcony and Manhattan Skyline view. We traveled from CO via car and had brought an air mattress with us. Our kids are 11 and 6. The room looked spacious online and all of the reviews were positive. We were not disappointed. The room was clean, spacious, updated and we had a nice view of Manhattan. The hotel is also 1/2 block from the N/Q line. The staff members were outstanding. Our GPS had an issue and having never been to the area before we called and the front desk lady was very patient with us giving us directions and guiding us through the area to get us to them. It isn't hard to find, it was our fault we got lost. The doorman was outstanding and helpful as well. The breakfast was great, lots of cereal choices for the kids, Greek yogurt and granola plus bagels, lox and lots of other choices. The neighborhood is quiet and there are plenty of eateries on 36th Avenue just three blocks away. We walked in the evening with our kids and felt very safe. The staff members printed us directions to get us to Philadelphia when we left and provided tips and directions regarding the Metro as well.
If we return to the NYC area we will definitely stay here again and would recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: We staying in room 506 and loved it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kelly S

Hello Kelly,

We are so grateful for the excellent feedback you have given us! You mentioned some great highlights of the hotel: being that our rooms are spacious, updated and clean. I am glad to know that you made use of the the subways, especially after such a long trip from Colorado! I am also so happy that we were able to direct you to the hotel safe and sound. Some of the streets in Queens can be confusing: especially because we have roads, streets and avenues. For example if you are looking for 39th, it could be 39th Ave, 39th Rd, or 39th Street.

Thank you for also mentioning our breakfast. We had gotten a lot of feedback from our guests requesting to add some variety to the available options so I am very glad that you have enjoyed our updated breakfast menu! I am glad you also took a walk over to 36th Ave. Some of the best options in the Long Island City/ Astoria area are on 36th Ave and it really is a short walk or subway ride from the hotel. The very best feedback that we can receive is to have a guest mention that they would like to stay with us again. If you know that you may be traveling to New York again, we would love to have you!

We are looking forward to seeing you again and thank you so much for your kind words!

new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I am currently staying here as an extended stay guest. This hotel is truly
a gem. The service is outstanding and the value is excellent. The hotel
is clean and the location cannot be beat. You are one stop to mid-town
Manhattan and there are lots of local eateries and grocery stores nearby
as well. Brittney, the Sales Manager is a sweetheart and I couldn't
be happier with my choice to stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hi Ben,

Thank you for taking some time to review us on TripAdvisor! It is always a pleasure to have guests who allow us make Hotel Vetiver a home away from home. We are so happy that out of all the places you could have stayed you decided to give us a try. Thank you for mentioning all of the local eateries in the area that many of our guests are not aware of. Astoria and Long Island City have so much to offer in terms of unique and tasty ethnic food choices. We love having you here and thank you again for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I recommend tourists to stay at Manhattan. The location sucks. I met 2 homeless people who ask for money, and they were pretty intimidating. Also, it is kinda scary at night. There's no good restaurants near. I would not recommend this place to friends. I was in this hotel to celebrate my birthday with my bf, because I booked the restaurant in Astoria. The hotel was pretty romantic. Very quiet, and different atmosphere.. It is a new hotel, and good for couples. However, I do not recommend this place to tourists.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest;
Thank you for posting your review at TripAdvisor .
Long Island City is located just 10 minute train ride from Times Square. Our Proximity to Manhattan is what attracts guests from all over the world, primarily tourists. One of our strongest plus is the convenience of our location. Unfortunately there is no way that we can control our surroundings like finding a homeless person on the street. I personally commute at night time from the Hotel and I have to say that I have never felt that it is scary at all. Just 3 blocks away (1 stop on the train) from us you would find 36 avenue, a long avenue full of dining options, Further down you would find Broadway ( 2stops away by train) where there are even more options and several choices for nightlife if you decided to stay in queens. Thank you for highlighting the uniqueness of our rooms and we invite you to stay with us again!

We invite guests from all over the world to try the Hotel Vetiver experience , where we treat our guests like family.

Warm Regards;