“Good place despite the neighbourhood” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Vetiver

Hotel Vetiver
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
istanbul
“Good place despite the neighbourhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Vetiver during our NY visit in July. We picked the hotel mostly because it was a value hotel, budget-friendly in terms of NYC without compromising from quality. It was indeed so, I cannot complain about anything as all was clearly indicated in hotel website and the reviews we checked prior to booking. The edifice is renewed, nice, comfortable and cosy, beds very comfortable, the rooms quite good-looking. The breakfast was ok, not great but no problem.. The staff was friendly. The neighbourhood was not very pleasant in fact, but conveniently close to the metro station which took you downtown in 10 minutes. We did not encounter any difficulties or problems, but if you are planning to enjoy the night in NY and return to the hotel late, this may be an awkward choice, for it did not feel 100% safe in late hours (though we witnessed or encountered nothing unpleasant); and more importantly, the trains function weirdly after a certain hour and you might easily find yourself in an unknown area. Otherwise, this is a good option not to spend too much and enjoy the same standards.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank estellabelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oakland, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

I actually stayed here for 4 nights June 16-June 21. The hotel was in the middle of an unattractive residential area with a lot of auto body shops. Not being familiar with NYC, I wasn't sure whether it was safe or not. I arrived at 10:00 am and the front desk was very pleasant. They did not have any rooms available at the time but they did check-in my bags. Because I did not have a vehicle, I had to walk around the area. There were a few small delis and markets in the area. Not many places to dine-in. I found a Chinese restaurant on the corner by the hotel, but the food really sucked (not sure how you mess up Chinese food) and the people were extremely rude. I was happy to finally get into my room which was actually really comfy. The room was very spacious, nice decor, more than enough closet/drawer space, flat screen, and a balcony with of great view of Manhattan. The staff was very accommodating and assisted me when I needed them (towels, delivery menus, microwave, etc.). The hotel was very close to the subway station that will get you to the main tourist attractions within 20-40 min. However, I would recommend getting to your hotel before late night. Also, my friend who lives in NYC came to visit me during the trip and agreed that this wasn't the best area to walk around at night. On the 3rd night, however, I was craving wine and walked about 5 blocks (by myself) to get to a store that served alcohol. I got back to my hotel around 8:30 pm safely...but I still wouldn't recommend it. Since this trip, I have been to NYC again (at another hotel) and had a better experience. Therefore, I am giving this hotel 3 stars. I don't have many complaints about the hotel itself (accept for maybe the thin walls and the slow elevator) but I did not feel very comfortable with my surroundings. I am a young woman who was traveling by myself at the time. I felt much safer when I had a friend there with me. I would recommend this hotel more for groups of friends just for safety reasons if you're not familiar with the city. I wouldn't recommend it for a family with children, however. One more thing, if you're flying into JFK it's not very close. I took a taxi to the Air-train (Jamaica train station) to get back to the airport but a shared shuttle to/from the airports would probably be your best bet or you'll be paying.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the Manhattan view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Gina H
Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed for a week in July. I found the staff to be very friendly. Every night we came back to the hotel we were welcomed by a friendly staff member. Our room was clean, nicely decorated and functional. We had two large beds that were comfortable. A balcony that looked over north Manhattan across the river. The other side would be an even better view. The bathroom was large and clean. Water pressure in the shower was a little low, but OK. AC worked well even on blistering hot days. Breakfast was simple with bagels, cereal, yogurt, and fruit. Coffee, milk and orange juice were also provided. On some mornings the coffee ran out and we had to wait while more brewed. As many people have said, this is probably the best location outside of Manhattan. The N and Q subway lines run within a few 100 feet of the front door of the hotel. We felt safe even coming back as late as midnight. All in all, a good hotel that our family would definitely go back to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing south Manhattan.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Billy527
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel has the worst customer service ever manager iris I believe is not manager material at all I had reservations to stay for a week when my fiancée had to be hospitalized needless to say we didn't make our trip when I incurred about a refund I was told I couldn't be refunded cause I didn't give enough notice which you aren't given when a loved one falls I'll and I was charged 900 with out even an apology or and attempt at reconciliation on their part.... NEVER BOOK HERE AGAIN!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Jcrosthwaite
HotelVetiver, Front Office Manager at Hotel Vetiver, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Hello Mr. Crosthwaite,

Thank you for your feedback. We at Hotel Vetiver strive to provide all of our guests with first class service and we apologize that you do not feel that you have received such service.

Upon making your reservation with Expedia ( a third party booking service), you were given the choice of choosing a Non- Refundable or 72hr cancellation reservation. As the non-refundable option was chosen in order to receive the discounted rate that Expedia was offering at the time of booking, you agreed to such terms that your reservation was non-Refundable.

As we strive to ensure that world class service is received by all hotel Vetiver's guests, I would like to extend the possibility of arriving at a later date providing that we are not sold out the days you request. As your booking was done on a third party site, the current rates at the time of inquiry might be different, to which you would be responsible for.

Again thank you for expressing your concerns to the hotel Vetiver team. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Iris Jacobs
Front Office Manager
poole
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

Stayed 3 nights. Admit we booked on basis of finding a cheaper quality hotel close to Downtown. What everyone says about the location is true - easy ride to Times Square. Its in an unusual neighbourhood - lots of old warehouses/industrial units being renovated and some made into flats and hotels. Didnt feel unsafe at night and there is a 24/7 corner shop nearby and a Chinese takeway. Most residents very friendly. Staff at hotel 100% friendly and helpful.

Downsides: no good to excellent eateries nearby. Hotel required cash up front (not credit card) for any extras. That left me $100 dollar out of pocket for 3 days. Breakfast (free) very basic and also extremely crowded breakfast room. Only one lift which was slow at peak times. Room very small (for two double beds). One was crammed against the a/c. Wires hanging from ceiling where a smoke alarm had been disconnected. Hotel had a "yet to be finished" feel about it.

Would stay again but would first search for any similar alternatives offering such good value for money

Room Tip: can be a little noisy in terms of lift bell and voices from outside the room.Take ear plugs if you a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank andrewbr2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed in hotel vetiver on June 2012 . The location was great !!! The subway is one block away.the rooms are fantastic. The staff is caring . They are still working on the bar but there is no construction noise whatsoever... The breakfast is great !! I would definitively recommend this hotel to anyone !!!! Thank youuu lanny and iris !!!! Will come back soon!!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Raa0412
Montauk, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

such a charming boutique hotel perfectly located only one block from the subway. Comfortable beds and high-end linens. Staff was very friendly

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business