“Great new hotel”

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
Tampa, FL
“Great new hotel”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This is a brand new hotel in Queens, literally 1 block from the N train subway (which goes right into Manhattan). The room and bathroom were huge by NYC standards, and featured a small refrigerator and a 2-burner stove but oddly, no microwave.

There is no restaurant/breakfast, unlike other hotels in this neighborhood, but right down the street by the subway is a terrific little diner that serves great breakfasts. We hit it every morning on our way into Manhattan.

There is also no workout facility, but they did say it is in the process of being built and should be ready by summer. The construction is taking place now, including what will be a little bar or cafe in the lobby.

The room had a balcony which we didn't use (no furniture on it) but it was a nice touch. The staff were helpful, but if you can do NOT book this with Agoda! I booked and pre-paid, but they never sent the money to the hotel. Fortunately I had an iPad I was able to call up my credit card bill and show them that I had already paid; otherwise I would have had to pay twice and then try to get my $ back from Agoda!

Free wifi was a nice touch as some other hotels charge for it.

We will definitely consider coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of Manhattan - you'll enjoy your balcony that way.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mzhelen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My hubby and I stayed here last weekend. Check-in isn’t until 3:00 but our room was available when arrived at 1:00 p.m. The elevator was down, so we had to lug our stuff up to the 4th floor….surprisingly, there is only one elevator in the building. Upon arrival, we noticed that there was no fridge or microwave. After getting settled in, we decided to find a nearby store to pick up some snacks/drinks. We inquired at the front desk about a "public" microwave, there wasn’t one available; nor were there any ice machines in the entire hotel! Next, we asked about upgrading to a room with a fridge/microwave..the front desk agreed to do at a reduced cost. We were then taken up to see the room, it looked great but the outlet for the fridge/microwave did not work...really?! For this to be a nice hotel, it offered nothing extra. There are no places to eat nearby, with the exception of pizza parlors. We ended up going across the street to the Holiday Inn's bar for dinner/drinks. On the upside, the personnel were extremely friendly and the rooms were a decent size for NY hotels. Most importantly the subway was less than a block away and we were in the city within 15 minutes.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bu2fusul
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed at Vetiver for 2 weeks with my wife when we first moved to NYC.

- Room and bathroom were huge
- Management is super nice and helpful - Rosalia and the rest of the team were great, listening closely to and acting promptly on every suggestion, complain and request
- Balcony has a nice view of Manhattan
- For people not familiar with the city it might seem like a dodgy location, it is off off Manhattan but with great access and the hotel is very close to the metro (a couple of stops to Manhattan and another couple to Times Square)
- Though the hotel was undergoing a some construction/renovation for the front entrance and the Cafe.(which I believe is over now, that didn't cause any inconveniences, for us at least)
- Not all rooms are configured/furnished the same way (some have closets, other have a sofa instead)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Aboshoosh
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed March 1, 2012

This Hotel is still under remodeling and the dust and noise is clear evidence of that. There is also the details of the rooms where some are great, and some have simply been over looked. Again, they are mostly little things and some rather big things like the brand new Heater/AC unit that had a terrible loud squeeking noise that probably woke half the floor at night. With that said, if the management can iron these things out, this hotel is a good value close to the city, near metro, and the the rooms are spacious with balcony views of Manhattan.

Room Tip: When you actually are in the room, turn on AC/Heater to make sure it does not make any unbearable no...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sizko
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stood here December 31 2011-January 1, 2012. As I usually do, I'll break my review of this hotel down into categories, which will be: Location, Price, Comfortableness, Design, Staff, Misc.

Location: For people who aren't used to NYC, this area may seem sketchy and ghetto to you but it's really not. As of right now, a lot of the area is going under a lot of construction and renovation. Lots of new buildings are being constructed. It's more of a regular, working class neighborhood that you would find in NYC. Lots of different types of people, and ethnicities. It is Queens after all, and IS the most ethnically and culturally diverse borough in NYC and the country for that matter. Overall, the area isn't bad, and you won't be in any danger. You'll be around a lot of working class and "young professionals" in the area. You can always take the N and R train more up into Astoria if you want some good restaurants and bars or you can always go to other parts of Queens (or the rest of NYC for that matter) by the train (which is just a block and a minute or less away) and you're only 10 minutes or so away from Manhattan by train and less by cab. At night time the place is really quiet, so you don't have to worry about crazy noises like in Manhattan.

Price: The price of this hotel for a regular room were cheap! One of the cheapest in the city and you do get bang for your buck. I paid about 120 on New Years Day and 150 for the New Years Eve I was there. Its nothing over the top and its certainly isn't huge but you get a VERY comfortable bed, a very nice bathroom with amenities (all toiletries plus a blow dryer and of course hot water), most rooms have a balcony (mines did), Flat Screen T.V., with a big drawer with lots of compartments, desk and two night stands with a drawer and a nice chandelier over the bed. The room was pretty spacious and is good for 1-2 people and as a place to just really sleep (who needs to stay in a hotel in NYC?) As for the other rooms, and small suites, I can't obviously tell you about since I didn't stay there. So, compared to closets you get in Manhattan, you'll get a lot more room here.

Comfortableness: The hotel is VERY cozy and comfortable. It's small but I honestly didn't even feel like getting out of bed to be honest. That bed was REALLY, REALLY comfortable and is what I miss the most about the hotel along with the bathroom. It's even more cozy if you decide to dim the lights and just chill. The balcony is a fun to hang and have drinks and the views are beautiful (if you get one in the front of the hotel) and the place overall is simple but quaint and cozy. Definitely a great place to crash. The hotel DOES NOT have bed and breakfast, a gym or anything fancy like that. It's really just a place to sleep, rest up, shower and have sex (Heh, lets be honest!). Overall, I found the place really nice, comfortable and that bed was just oh so comfortable! (There is a heater and cooler in the rooms by the way).

Design: The place is pretty chic looking and kind of basic at the same time. The hotel is still being renovated in the front (since they want to make a cafe next to it). The rooms are nice, cute, quaint and yes, COZY (like I've been saying). It's a very nice, very clean. and relaxing. The back of the hotel seems to house a little bar-b-q section for the summer, where I guess guest can go mingle, have drinks, eat food. Overall, it's very pretty, very nice.

Staff: Very friendly. The cleaners are respectful, the doorman/women are very cordial, nice, polite and the other staff is A-Okay!!

In the end, you can't go wrong with this hotel. It's a no frills hotel but has everything you need to stay and is very, very comfortable. It's definitely not a motel or a hostel, let me clarify that. It's just a simple "boutique hotel". Its minutes away from Manhattan by train and cab, and near lots of attractions and sights, and the price is hard to beat! its a pretty new hotel so they don't have everything together but forgive them, please do. They're not a chain hotel after all. I didn't have a single problem here, and I had a very pleasant stay and so should you if you're just looking for a place to stay. If you want jacuzzi, bed and breakfast, gym, bed and breakfast--look elsewhere. When you're in NYC, this is ALL you need honestly. The people who work there will definitely be able to answer your questions and help you out!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the front of the hotel, with a balcony if you want to get the view of the Manha...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
12 Thank DanX_12
New York, United States
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I stayed here with my partner for a Valentine's Day night out on the town! I arrived at the hotel around 6 PM and walked into an unfinished lobby. The hotel "office" was located in what seemed like a walk in closet. I was over charged upon check in and had to wait in the lobby for half an hour while the refund was being processed (only to find out I was charged once again rather than refunded), the time was ticking and I was afraid I would miss my dinner reservations in New York City. After finally completing check in we were told our T.V. was not working, nonetheless we were running out of time and did not mind the lack of a television. We went up to the penthouse on the top floor with all of our bags and not only did we encounter a broken T.V. but were also amazed to find hardware and light bulbs on the bed. The wonderful bathroom had no light bulbs installed and a ladder was in the middle of the room. We picked up the phone to call down to the lobby and (surprise) that didn't work either! The fridge was not plugged in and there was no closet or ironing board in the room. Also, no cups or coffee to enjoy in the quaint kitchenette (peculiar because they had a coffee maker). We gathered our belongings and went down to the lobby to express our dismay, we were then given the keys to the adjacent penthouse. We went back up to the ninth floor only to find the door to the room already open. We stepped inside and found out the door did not close, we could not stay or leave our personal belongings behind with no security whatsoever. The staff then told us that we could get ready for dinner in a THIRD room and that they would have our original room ready by the time we came back from dinner. By this time we had only ten minutes to get ready and head to dinner at Becco, an amazing Italian restaurant (highly recommend)! By the time we got back to the hotel at 10 pm we were told our room was ready, but that they didn't have an extension cord for the fridge but we could pick it up ourselves and place it on a chair to reach the outlet (not a small fridge!). Due to the fact we were over charged TWICE the night before once more we spent half an hour in the lobby before leaving trying to get a refund sorted out. This hotel was nowhere near ready to be opened, I have never had such a bad experience in my life! It is clear that the hotel may in fact have future potential but as of now it lacks in customer service, there is no reason we should have encountered so many trivial problems. The location is in fact great and only ten minutes to the city by car. Stay at your own risk!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Xavier312
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Had a great time while in NYC and loved my stay here..Rooms are great! Staff is great! Easy access into time square, comfortable beds, great view..what else can you ask for?!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple