“Good value and location”

Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City Queensboro Bridge
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for business in the area. The hotel was ok. Decent size room. Very clean and modern. I also had a nice view of the Manhattan sky line and Queensborrow bridge. A few blocks or short cab ride from the subway. Bar area was small, but seved the purpose. If you want value over location. Stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I just finished up a three night stay at this Four Points by Sheraton and have to admit this is a really intriguing, mixed bag of a hotel. Every feature of this place has good and… well… not necessarily "bad" but certainly "be aware" things to consider.

For example, the location for me (in Long Island City, just across the Queensboro bridge from Manhattan) was ideal since it was close to friends I know in Astoria. It's about a four block walk from the 39th Avenue Subway Station (on the Q & N subway lines, which is an elevated train on that side of New York City). If you know what you're doing (i.e. have maps printed out or are familiar with the area), you can take the subway to SOHO in Manhattan within 30 minutes. On the flip side, the back side of the hotel looks directly down into…. a dumpy town house's back yard. The neighborhood is a slightly worn out mix of old duplex houses, crumbly sidewalks, a couple parking lots, some warehouses, a few shops, a couple other hotels including a Holiday Inn (a major part of it under construction), and this tall, neon-tube accented & seemingly out of place, Four Points hotel. The hood and its residents feel friendly and familiar during the day, but I can imagine this area would be a wee bit sketchy or creepy in the middle of the night, especially for ladies walking alone from the subway station.

The room I was assigned was on the fourth floor and, after reading the reviews here, I'm kicking myself for not requesting a high floor room with a balcony and a view. The 4th floor room was pretty comfy, albeit it small (I guess real estate is at a premium on this side of New York City as well). A couple free bottles of water on a shelf next to the front door (thanks!). Along one wall you'll find a cabinet in which you can hang or stash clothes (into sliding fabric lined baskets). There's also a room safe, clothing iron, a coffee / tea maker and an ice bucket in there. There's a number of connection ports (composite video, HDMI, PC video in) in the wall underneath the flat panel TV. I didn't try these out to see if they actually worked. Next to the bed was an iHome clock radio with a port for iPods and iPhones (using the now slightly obsolete iPhone connection port, not Apple's new "Lightning" iPhone connection port). No fridge or mini-bar in my room, not sure if they exist in other rooms in the hotel. The thermostat on the wall controls the AC Unit. I appreciated that I could set the fan speed to "high" (or loud), which helped me to sleep better at night.

The bathroom had an almost fully enclosed shower. You'll find additional towels and a hair dryer under the sink. This Four Points subscribes to the European style of bathroom amenities -- no little bottles here, but instead the shampoo, conditioner and shower gel are all found in big dispensers mounted on the wall inside the shower. The hair conditioner was a clear gel (while almost every hair conditioner I've seen is some cloudy white substance), so I'm guessing housekeeping put shower gel into the conditioner dispenser and never bothered to clean it out.

Speaking of lazy housekeeping, it sure seemed like they did the bare minimum here. While the bed was made and the bathroom (mostly) cleaned every day, both the recycle can and the garbage bin under my desk were not emptied over the course of my 4 day / 3 night stay. A "M" (medium) size sticker from a previous guest's new t-shirt stayed firmly affixed to the bathroom door knob over my entire stay. And I noticed a big blotch of dried shaving cream along the edge of the bathroom mirror that never disappeared until the day I checked out and I removed it myself. There was also some general wear and tear issues within the room, like a cracked tissue box cover in the bathroom. Besides the things that guests report (I asked for a battery to be replaced in a dead / blinking thermostat which was taken care of within 24 hours), it seems like it might be a worthwhile investment to go through each of the rooms to look for easily fixable issues.

I really appreciated the fact that Internet is free. While I used WiFi, there is also an Ethernet port in the wall by the TV but I hadn't brought a cable along to test whether it was actually working.

The attached "Michaels" restaurant was another weird thing. While the decor of the dining area is very modern & in the Four Points style, the actual restaurant reminded me of the little joints one might find connected to a Howard Johnsons or some other 1950's style motel. The hours of the restaurant are from 6:30 to 10, 11 to 2 p.m., and 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. This is also coincidentally happens to be the same hours room service is offered (same items as in the restaurant, only with a 20% gratuity, $2 delivery charge and 9% sales tax all added in).

The most expensive items on the breakfast menu are $11, and if you have a "breakfast included" rate that entitles you to vouchers good for an "American Breakfast" (two eggs, sausages or bacon, potatoes, toast). A server one morning wouldn't let me substitute an omelet (same $11 price) for the less appealing "American" breakfast while other servers let me do the substitution on other mornings. Other rates (AAA? SPG Platinum?) come with continental breakfast, not sure what items that voucher includes. Lunch and dinner are more traditional. There's also a "Happy Hour" on Wednesdays… from 5:30 to 7 or so, where it's BOGO (buy one, get one free) on all drinks.

There's a small glass-walled fitness center overlooking the lobby on the second floor with some free weights and bench, a couple treadmills, one bike and one cross training machine.

The front desk staff, for the most part, were very friendly and approachable. No snooty Manhattan attitudes here. One weird quirk I discovered upon checkout is that the front desk will *not* call cabs for you. Apparently the building owner also owns a car service, which is who they'll call for you. If you're going to LGA, the flat fee is supposedly a reasonable price of $20 (the cab fare is pretty close to that, when you take a tip into account). If you do want a taxi, you have to call it yourself.

All summed up, my three night stay cost just over $1,000 including all the various taxes. If I have the money to splurge, I'd still probably stay on Manhattan. but the convienence of being just a couple subway stops away from mid-town Manhattan and having most of the comforts of a Manhattan hotel makes staying here relatively compelling. This Four Points just needs to work on the details and this place could be perfect.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

Room Tip: I should have asked for a room with a balcony or at least a decent view of Manhattan
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank MichaelInSF
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just checked in today. I usually stay in manhattan side but love this property with such great city views. The staff are awesome! Nakim and May at the front desk were wonderfully accommodating and so helpful. This is a great value and nice place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank ElainefromSacramento
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Room was clean and comfortable. Staff was friendly. The restaurant cooked us a last minute meal. So we were glad. Only set back is I left my pajamas and called the next day and they said they didn't have them.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This new building is very clean, full of light, and wonderful staff. The rooms are comfortable, quiet and welcoming. The neighborhood is old and undergoing massive renewal, but the elevated subway is only three short blocks to the east and you are in mid-town manhattan in 10 minutes. Rates are half of what similar property in Manhattan would cost. Only complaint is slow service in restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of Manhattan, facing soutwest from hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank helinas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here during a business trip. My office is around the corner, so it was an easy 2 block walk. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is a bit disorganized and it seems inexperienced. I don't know how long the hotel has been open, but it seems some more training is in order. One bone I have to pick. I sleep with windows open if the weather permits it. In the morning the kitchen fries a batch of bacon, and because my windows were probably above the vents I would wake up in the stench of bacon vaporoil.

There are other options in the area, and I think I will try out a few more next time I travel. Four points - I may come back if the hotel proves to be the best option around.

Room Tip: I think if you pick a room facing the west you can avoid the smell of baconator that fires up every...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This was my first extended trip to New York so I wanted a hotel which was away from the bustle and expensive of Manhattan, but close enough that I could travel in and out when I pleased.. The Four Points fit the bill perfectly, with a choice of two subway stops within 5 minutes or so walk. It is also convenient for the Astoria area and a simple connection to the bus to La Guardia airport. The walls were a little thin, since I could hear a fellow traveler's cough in the morning and some rumble from the elevator, which was near my room, but the noise was minimal. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant was OK, nothing special, an area I think they could improve on. Another nice touch is that the windows open a little, if like me, you cannot sleep with air conditioning. All in all, a very good place to stay and visit New York and Queens.

Room Tip: If you are short, check out the shower to see if you can reach the shower head, and the light switch...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo