“Really disappointing”

Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City Queensboro Bridge
Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Did I stay in the same hotel as the other reviewers? Just entering we were turned off by the too-loud tacky lobby music and the staff's faintly sullen air. The person who checked us in seemed to be having trouble with using the computer, and nobody on the staff (including the manager) seemed at all familiar with the neighborhood. What little information they provided turned out to be wrong. There were no street maps of the area available. One person said, "I could tell you about plenty of places in Manhattan." Well, gee, so could I, but we weren't in Manhattan. At night there was a loud party that kept us awake (this was a working trip for us), and when I got dressed and went down to the desk to complain, the person there said just, "It should be over soon....It's for the owner." No one ever said those two magic words, "I'm sorry." Our room, reserved for three people, was prepared for two; we had to call for glasses, cups, coffee, blankets. The general quality was stingy and cheesy: no towel bars in the bathroom, one tiny bathrobe hook. Toiletries were in hostel-style dispensers that required a lot of pumping. The hot water in the shower was inconsistent, and the gasket was coming off the shower stall door.
The room was clean, and I found no evidence of bedbugs. The location is great for any business in Astoria or L.I.C., but, frankly, I've stayed in places in Manhattan that were no more expensive that I liked a lot better.
One final note: I turned in the comment card provided in the room, saying pretty much what I've said here, two days ago. No one has responded.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City Queensboro Bridge

Reviewed November 8, 2011

I got a deal through Priceline for this hotel and was excited since lic is my old neighborhood.

It's a very clean, nice hotel. Sheets are kinda thin. The views are great, same as my old apartment. Rooms are teensy, but that didn't bother us. We did have to get creative with where we stored our bags and walked around. The fitness center was also small, which made doing our own work out kinda tough but we managed.

The staff was helpful and went out of their way to make sure we were enjoying our stay. One gal ran outside when she realized we were walking to the 7 train and told us that the 7 was no longer running and we should take the N.

The one thing I absolutely hated was the sink in our room 506. First of all, the water shoots out full speed so washing your hands means that anything on the sink counter gets totally soaked. In order to get warm or hot water, you have to turn the faucet on all the way which backs up the sink, waiting for the sink to drain took forever. It was impossible to wash my face.

Also, this is not a complaint but something funny to share, we had some conflicting information regarding "Free Water" in the room. Some days we would have it, other days we wouldn't. On one of the days we didn't have it, we asked the front desk gal and she said "oh that's just on the day you check in", no big, we bought some water, but the next day water appeared in our room!

The area is great in my opinion. It's super close to the city and walking distance to the vernon blvd and many different train stations. Plus, there is a lot of street parking, the night we had my parents' car, we parked right down the block!

I would probably stay here again next time I go home!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2011

This was our second stay at this hotel. We had a wonderful bargain here when it first opened and were really pleased. So we returned for two nights recently and had another great visit. The hotel is located only about 3 blocks from the 39th Street N/Q subway stop and you can get to Manhattan in no time. Super convenient. The service was good, the rooms clean and comfortable. We have parked on the street both times with no incidents and without a lot of driving around to find a spot. The downside was as out-of-towners we were very challenged to find the hotel even with our GPS--NYC streets!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lost_Detroiter
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I recenly returned from my amazing stay at The Four Points Sheraton Long Island City. I travel quite frequently for business and stay at many hotels year round and have never encountered such great service. From the moment I stepped into the lobby, I was greeted by the front desk staff with a smile.
Check-In process was quick and easy and the staff was able to accommodate me with an early check-in. I was also upgraded to a beautiful room with an excellent view of Manhatten. Location was very convinient, just 3 stops away from Madison ave. The N,Q and 7 trains are just a couple of blocks away and will get you to pretty much anywhere you need to be in the city. Staff provided me with excellent information and directions which made it easy for me to get around. The restaurant staff was very attentive and catered to my every need. The food was delicious and the pricing was reasonible. I highly reccomend the burgers and the lobster bisque soup. Overall I give this hotel 5 stars and would definitely return on my next visit to New York. The only regret I have was not knowing about this hotel sooner....

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Nick T
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I have been staying at Sheraton hotels almost exclusively for the last few years. This new hotel in Long Island City was a welcome addition to their inventory, since I needed to be in Long Island City (not Manhattan) for a reunion. The hotel staff were friendly, courteous and extremely accommodating. My room was clean and very comfortable. Lobby and other common areas were also well maintained and appealing. My only negative was the $25 a day fee for self parking in an underground area that would only accommodate maybe 8 cars. Having grown up in the area, I did not want to risk having my car broken into in the street (there was broken window glass adjacent to the street spot I used while checking in).If you are traveling via taxi, this hotel is ideal! But if you are driving your own car or a rental, be prepared for the excessive fee...providing there is a garage spot available for you to park!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at Four Points by Sheraton Long Island City the end of September. Check-in was easy and the staff were very helpful. They let us check in early without being charged extra. The in-house restaurant was affordable and the food was very good. We were really impressed by the attentive wait staff. The room was clean and the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was very large compared to others in hotels we stayed in in Manhattan. The subway was no more than 3 blocks away and we did not feel unsafe at any time. We will definitely stay there again on our next visit to NYC. Just an FYI if you visit Ground Zero - get your ticket online. We didn't know this policy and were met by unhelpful guides who thought we should have known this. It is a very small area jammed with large numbers of people. You can purchase a ticket at the visitor's center, which also charges a fee to tour their museum.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We had only one night in New York City. Stayed at Four Points. Located close to subways. Two close stops one is 3 blocks away from hotel and other is 4-5 blocks. Felt safe at all times. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. There was nothing we asked for that they did not do courteously and happily. Our rooms were very nice and clean.. Had breakfast in restaurant, service courteous and quick. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends