WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Enfield, Connecticut
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014

On Dec 20 2013 I stayed at the Comfort Inn Central Park West in NYC for a medical consultation at the Hospital for Special Surgery. I wrote a review about that experience. On Jan 3 2014 I was scheduled for surgery and needed acommodations for family members during my hospital stay. I was thrilled to find that this hotel had easily twice the room at half the price. Free continental breakfast, on-site parking, helpful and courteous staff and took less time in traffic to reach my destination. I would stay here again without any hesitation. The neighborhood looks a little sketchy for non-urban types but we encountered no problems.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank BDragoncop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

It's very conveniently located to the F train (21st Street--Queensbridge) so getting into Manhattan was easy.
The breakfast area is not really big enough and the selection is limited they had scrambled eggs and sausage (which was cold and dry), pastries, donuts and toast. Juice or tea/coffee and yogurts.
Front desk gave me excellent directions (with map) to all the tourist spots and were helpful with cab pricing and ordering.
I was very happy with the size of the room (king bed guest room) and bathroom considering the shoebox you usually get in NY. But the heater was noisy. I was on the 9th floor and next to the stairwell and someone kept banging the door open and closed.
Apparently there's an area called Astoria close by which is great for eating out and drinking but I didn't manage to get there, despite the recommendation from a boro cabbie driver!
All in all a great find for value and access to Manhattan and I would recommend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

As you can tell by most of my reviews on Trip Advisor, I give credit where credit is due. The Sleep Inn at long Island City was the worst hotel stay my well traveled family has experienced. We arrived to a hotel a little before check in and were nicely accomodated. The place seemed nice but was in a less than savory area but we felt safe walking to the subway. My parents stayed in the room across from my sister and I. At 5am, someone with a key came into our room while we were alseep, looked around and then left. After I realized what had happened. I got up and looked out to see who it was and heard the elevator close. I thought it was my parents, after all, I gave them a key to get in. after I phoned my parents and woke them up, I realized it wasnt them. I quickly called the front desk and they said it was the maintenance guy and was going to do maintenance as the room showed vacant. It freaked us out. That wasnt it. At 8am, it happened again. only this time, my sister had just got out of the shower and had nothing but her towel on. The man walked in, looked at her and left. when I addressed the front desk of this, they denied it happening again. They didnt believe us and requested that my sister come down to do a "line up" of hotel personnel to spot who walked in. After she did infact point out the maintenance man, he said that he only came in once. Again, they thought we were lying. We asked the hotel manager to review the security camera that was on our floor. he left to review the film with the maintenance man. When the front desk clerk phoned the manager to come back, I heard her say to him over the phone quietly "well, we need to get those cameras fixed". The manager stated that he did see the employee go into the room but only once. at 5am. They only refunded the one room and basically called us liars while invading our privacy twice. If you stay at this hotel, please use the slider lock on the door. What horrible service and experience we had at this hotel during such a fun time to be in NYC. I leave you with this question. What if my sister was by herself? Better off staying somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jimmymed
Sleep I, Guest Relations Manager at Sleep Inn - Long Island City, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
To our courteous guest,

We were made aware of the inadmissible experience you had at our property and we would like to offer our most sincere apologies from our entire management. Since the event we have been taking proper precautions to make sure that the event does not reoccur in any occasion,

We hope that you may give us another chance to redeem ourselves and provide you with exceptional service. If you reconsider staying with us please let our staff know beforehand so that we may suite you with our best possible accommodations.

Sleep Inn - LIC
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night pre-cruise in December. We did take the subway there, which we won't do again unless we have located the elevators in advance since we had luggage. But it was easy to get there on the train from Herald Square.

We were very happy with the hotel at first. Check in was a breeze and the attendant was pleasant. We also checked in after midnight. We were asked for our ID, but that's not a big deal to us. The room wasn't huge, but it was all we needed for the two of us. No way there could have been a third person in the room. The breakfast wasn't the best that we've had, but they had a nice selection. The only things lacking was breakfast meat and a waffle iron. But they had eggs, pastries, cereal, milk, juices, and yogurt. The toaster oven was appreciated, although we wished they had a bagel slicer. They also had butter, jelly, and cream cheese. They have an overflow area for breakfast by the vending machines.

Now on to the one issue we had and the reason for the title of this review, we had no hot water. The temperature was luke warm at best. We have stayed in Red Roof Inns and Motel 6's before and NEVER had this issue. We didn't call the front desk because we didn't have time. We had already called for a cab to take us to the cruise port. Did we shower during a peak time, probably, but that's no excuse. All we want in a hotel is a clean room with working thermostat, if we need to use it, and hot water for a shower. The breakfast was a bonus. It could have been donuts and we would have been happy because our other needs would have been met.

We won't stay here again if we have a choice because of this. Can't take the chance again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

We would like to apologize for our hotel accommodations not meeting our best possible standards. As a part of our hotel presentation we strive to make all amenities and service to exceed your expectations. To make sure that our hotel does not repeat this event we have been taking proper maintenance servicing and insuring that our staff will know how to proceed if the situation were to present itself again.

Sleep Inn - LIC
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I frequently stay in Queens to try to keep hotel costs down. I stayed in this property last week for the first time and I was very pleased. It's very conveniently located to the F train (21st Street--Queensbridge) but isn't subject to noise from the elevated trains like the properties closer to Queens Plaza/Queensboro Plaza. I got a very good Advance Purchase rate, with trouble-free check-in and check-out. The breakfast area is not really big enough, but the selection is fairly good (including scrambled eggs and sausage, though I don't think there was a waffle maker).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Very nice hotel, with very helpfull staff. Room and bathroom were good and clean. Only breakfast could be better. Not much choice. I was missing the bacon, and other meatproducts. Very close to subway.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

I chose to stay here for a quick visit to Manhattan and this was going to be my first time visiting without actually staying in Manhattan so I was nervous. The reviews on a few websites were favorable and the price was too good to pass up so I decided to go for it. I'm so glad I did!! From the moment I got to the hotel the service was pleasant and efficient. There was a very nice young man working the front desk and I am so sorry I don't have his name, but he was extremely helpful. The weather was awful (snow, ice on the ground. etc) and street parking was full as was the parking lot since I had gotten in quite late. He let me park in a spot overnight directly at the hotel door! They quickly processed my check-in without charging ridiculous fees for incidentals (a FIRST) and he gave me excellent directions (with map) on how to take the nearby train to Rockefeller. BTW the train station was a 1 minute walk, even in crappy weather, and a 5 minute ride...let me off right at the Christmas tree :)

I was very happy with the size of the room (king bed guest room) and bathroom considering the shoebox you usually get in NY. It was very modern and clean. My only complaint was that the HVAC unit was very loud and barely got warm. The bed was super comfortable...so comfortable in fact that I blew off an early breakfast meeting to stay snuggled under the covers watching TV. Breakfast was offered but I did not go so no review on it. The woman that helped me at check out was just as friendly and helpful as the guy that checked me in, also letting me leave my car in front of the hotel since we were in the midst of a snowfall and I was taking the train to the the Manhattan. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo