“Not as great as expected”

Best Western Plaza Hotel
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The trip was extremely important to me as my fiancee is coming to meet me after a lengthy separation (we temporary work in separate hemisphere). I booked through PP and was told a King room with City View and was initially very satisfied -- she was flying from New Zealand and I want her to sleep tight and have a wonderful view in the morning. The price was great for this location -- $100 + tax, only 20min subway to downtown, and subway station is 3min walk.

However during check-in the staff told me someone got the reservation wrong, and the only thing left is a double room at 5th floor facing towards the street with a blight view!!! I am not blaming him as he had tried to be as helpful as he can but there was nothing he could do if everything was book out. I know they probably don't have to give reimbursement (I am just too occupied to investigate if they should) but overall it is a huge disappointment to me.

Double bed is really a bit small for two people (well no one want to sleep in separate beds in such situation!!!). It was facing the street so during the night the traffic can be heard. The alarm clock was not working properly and kept making noises (imagine you have to try to figure out what was wrong at 3am in dark!!), the sink was a bit stuck. On the other side, the room was small but clean (no bed bug found), and there is a lovely table and chair in the room. Morning breakfast is crowd but the food is good.

Overall, if not under such situation, I would say it is a good place to stay -- great location, low price possible, decent room, staff is ok, but unfortunately this time for me it is was a real disappointment for me.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the street!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tom Y

Reviewed April 16, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Carlos V
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good price for a New York stay. Metro station one block away. Nice view of NY.
Towels were not very clean, small room with a few table only for the breakfast.
Last advice, don't ask for a taxi in the lobby but go in the street to find one. The receptionist would call you a "taxi limousine" which is twice the price of a classic taxi without advicing you...

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
5  Thank Q R
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This was our first stay in NYC, and the hotel was great for the price. The continental breakfast was pretty basic (donuts, toast, bagels, cereal, apples/bananas, yogurt, and pancakes & scrambled eggs). The coffee was awful however. But it was nice to have breakfast included in the price of the room. The rooms were small, but adequate for the stay. The beds were comfortable though. I really liked that the subway was just 1 1/2 blocks away from the hotel, with easy access throughout new york and manhattan.

I did feel that the staff rushed the guests, especially at breakfast. I mean, breakfast was served from 6-10am, and at 9:45am, the staff were already putting things away and turning off the television in the dining room. And they wouldn't replenish many of the food items if they ran out after 9:15-9:30am. So if you expect breakfast, then you better get down to the dining room early or you won't have much of a selection to choose from.

The noise in the room was excessive however. The outside noise sounded as if the windows were open. It was always cold, and we had to have the heat set at 85 degrees to keep it comfortable.

On the day we were supposed to check out, the desk kept calling to our room to find out when we were leaving. Now, check out was at noon, and they were calling before 11am to ask. I again, felt that they were rushing us out. In our hurry to check out of the hotel, I did forget my camera charger in the room. I called the hotel directly within an hour of checking out, and the front desk personel brushed me off. I did not find that the staff were very accomodating to the guests at this particular property.

However, I did enjoy the trip to NYC, and for the price, I would probably pick this hotel again for convenience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Melissa P
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I wrote the review titled "Confirm , Confirm , Confirm etc " and let me just say I was pleasantly surprised when I started my actual stay at the hotel , it was excellent for the price . The staff was helpful and we were charged accurately but we did go through Expedia which I highly recommend when booking a hotel. The rooms are very nice , clean and comfortable . And don't let the bad reviews of the area being bad or scary influence you , they almost got to me when I read them on here and let me just say the area was just fine nobody ever bothered us and the people in the local stores were nice , we never once took a cab and arrived back to our hotel at 2 am in the morning many times never having a single problem , the negative reviews are just that negative and narrow minded in my opinion yes there is a housing project near by but more a less its just a massive apartment by the looks of it , I was never scared . People can get easily mislead because it isnt a modern or very developed area . The access to the train was the best part it was literally was a 3 to 5 minute walk . The hotel offered a continental breakfast which was pretty decent for being free , but you must wake up fairly early to get in on the good food eggs , pancakes and croissants and muffins ( at like 7am to 8 am ) or you are just stuck with bananas and juice, it also get pretty crowded but you can take your food to your room. Beware not to get the room on the first floor next to the gym and the breakfast room it is very loud in the early mornings , thats were we stayed but we just put up with it , but if you can avoid the entire 1st floor I suggest you do so. The staff was really helpful in assisting my boyfriend how to get places via train. The view wasn't the best but your in New York your there to be out and about . With all this being said I highly recommend this hotel its a great deal , clean, comfortable and very convenient , the location is prime ! I take back my scepticism and past review all the way , this hotel really came through for us . I hope it will do the same for you. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay off the first floor its loud
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank EAKM
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Visit in late January 2012 for one night after visiting friends in CT.

Checked in at around 7:30pm and we were ready to take subway and explore Manhattan by 8.
Subway is just minutes away. A silent neighborhood and first impression was a little on the scary side may be it's dark. Having said that it' so quiet that after walking on the street for a while we didn't feel as bad. A few convenience stores along 21st leading to the subway open til late for water and stuff are always the welcomed found.

Take the F line and you are just few stations from heart of Manhattan.

Room is relatively big consider it's in NYC. Modern deco and quite clean with a view of the Queensboro bridge and Manhattan in the back drop. Free continental breakfast is common but still a plus.

Staffs were helpful with direction, checking in and taking care of the luggage after checkout ( a buck per piece though)

In general it's a satisfactory stay with budget in mind - easy for subway ride and LaGuardia is also close with just a 15mins taxi ride.

You got what you pay for - and much more for this one

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank XAMI
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Second stay for me in this hotel.

Welcome is formal but nothing more.
The first thing that you will notice is the poor management of the elevators, which are not set up correctly and might take a looong time to come, need to push several times the button.
The room was a king size suite, spacious but not well insulated (noise and heat). The windows are not completely sealed which means the street noise and the cold are present.
The room is partially cleaned (at least the visible parts). When you move the side bed furniture, you will find a huge quantity of dust and dirt. I even found an empty bottle under the sofa.
The fridge was small (only allows small bottles) and tends to freeze everything (not parametrable). it made some noises also during the night. Heater/air co was noisy too, impossible to sleep with it on. The shower was quite good.
The breakfast is quite good but the population that occupies the hotel does not really behave like other people (example : donuts in the toaster etc). You have a selection of bagels, croissants, breads, cream cheese and marmelades, some fruits and yogurts, a microwave and a toaster. Coffee machine and orange/apple juices. You could have some eggs and pancakes (if lucky).

The neighborhood is not very safe when it's dark. Even during the day, i would not walk around. The subway is one block away on line F, quite convenient in fact to join Queens or Manhattan.

There is a small mini market (full of alcoholic-addicted) near the hotel, there is also an indian fast food and a subway restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms finishing with 8 (708, 808 etc) since it's near the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business