“Cheap, convenient, and modern.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel

BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
“Cheap, convenient, and modern.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Newish hotel a few minutes from the subway station. It's a best western so pretty predictable. Our room was great; 10th floor with a view Manhattan and it was really clean and comfortable.
Pros: 5 minutes on subway from NY; clean and modern; free parking outside or on street; affordable by NY standards; great views if you get the right room ( we stayed in 1005) .
Cons: area is housing estate/industrial so not many shops although you can find a deli. Not touristy.
If you want clean and affordable a few minutes from 5th Ave then try this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Hermosillo, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I made reservations for this hotel about three weeks ago. Under my schedule I got to this hotel today and the attention at the front desk was pretty good, easy going and quick. Tha cab from Laguardia airport to the hotel was a very affordable cost of 13 dollars. The room is clean and with the enough equipment to have a confortable stay. The close subway station makes very easy and fast to get to any place in Manhattan. Today I went and came back from Times Square using the subway train and the experience with the transportation and in the city was quite good. I hope to think the same after the fourth night I´m staying here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
New Caney, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

otherwise, this hotel is very nice, they have refrigerators in the room, but no microwaves. Continental breakfast was donuts, pastries, croisants, yogurt, cereal, decent variety. Rooms are very clean, housekeeping was great. Friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TheClarks2011
Milton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Me and my boyfriend came to this hotel for a week after Christmas in 2011! It was both our first times coming to New York and it was an amazing trip I will never forget!!! This hotel was awesome, we were a little nervous because of the previous reviews we heard about bed bugs and stuff but we have NO issues! The hotel staff was amazing and very nice! Breakfast was good and can free with the hotel booking! On our first day we did get the elevator stuck, only because I got too excited I was in New York and jumped in the elevator and got it stuck. We were trapped for about 45 minutes but the staff had us out in no time and didn’t see it get stuck again for the rest of the trip! so DO NOT jump in the elevator! All in all it was a fantastic trip and highly recommend this hotel and definitely going back! Very convenient to the F train which takes you right into Rockefeller Centre! sketchy neighbourhood the hotel is in but if you keep to yourself no one will bother you! :)

Any questions, feel free to ask me!

Room Tip: Get a room with a city view. Its amazing to wake up and look out your window and see New York! Beaut...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dundalk, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed here for two weeks when I first moved to the US while I was looking for an apartment. The room was lovely and comfortable, King size bed, flat screen tv, good bathroom and small fridge. It was cleaned everyday and the room service girls were lovely. The breakfast set up was good as you could go down during the hours of breakfast (6:30-9:30) pick up a bagel, and the eating area was open all day so you could avail of the toaster and microwave.

The hotel itself is located in a slightly dodgy and run-down area. I would not have been walking around alone, especially at night. The subway stop is only a two minute walk away and this F line will bring you straight into mid-town Manhattan in less than 10 minutes-this is the major perk of the hotel!!

My experience of the hotel overall was good but there were a few things for me that were a BIG let down. There was a concierge desk, yet on three occasions they could not help us get a car, we ended up calling ourselves. And as another reviewer said-beware of your credit card. On my first night I wanted to settle the bill with the receptionist, she took the card and said it was all done the total 15 nights were accounted for (my online banking confirmed that she debited the correct money) yet when I went to check out the receptionist was telling me I had not paid for one night, why I would not pay for one out of 15 nights is crazy, but I stood my ground and said I refused to pay as it was the first receptionists fault not mine. Yet this girl right in front of me said -'Oh well I just deducted that night off your card'. Without my permission-that was over $100 she just took from me-I was raging. And no manager to be seen when I asked..This turned my great stay sour!

Overall-I would tell people to stay here just watch your billing for your room!! I

Room Tip: Ask for the Manhattan view, as it is away from the roadside and very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sran_Sran
Bwplazalic33143, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Hello Sran_Sran,

The Best Western Plaza Hotel would like to thank you for taking out time and sharing with us your experience at our hotel! Your post has been beneficial to our hotel, for we take every guest experience, both positive and negative, and as a team, discuss improvements and create implementations to better serve our guests! We apologize for the frustrations in regards to billing; if you have current conflicts with your billing, please do call our hotel and we will fix any remaining concerns!

Sincere thanks,
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

My wife and I visited here in July 2011 and for the price we were very suprised at the quality of this place. The Hotel looked like it was recently either renovated or remodeled it was very modern. The front desk staff was great and very helpful with local eateries in queens when we wanted to stay near hotel. The Rooms were great , clean and very comfortable (especialy the bed) The area is very multi cultured so for teh one or two crazies you see a hand full of working class so we werent to worried. The train is about a block away so that was very convenient. Overall i would definatly stay here again..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Romero M
Hello Romero,

The Best Western Plaza is delighted your found your stay with us back in July 2011 enjoyable! In future trips to New York City, we do hope you stay with us again, for there will always be a comfortable bed waiting!

Warm regards,
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

On our second visit to this so-called smoke free property, we were driven out of our 6th floor corner room due to the smoking of multiple substances by the inhabitant of the room next to ours. At 4am my wife woke to an asthma attack brought on by the combination of what must have been both marijuana and tobacco smoke from next door. The sound of one person laughing out loud led us to think that only one person was involved. My wife went to the front desk, where she was told that they knew who was there. We were moved to another room for the remainder of the night (at 5am) and returned to our regular room the next morning, after the offender had checked out.
There was no apology, and no offer to make any amends for our inconvenience. On our check out, I left a detailed note for the hotel's manager, and was assured that I would hear back from him. One week later I emailed him, since I had heard nothing. It is now four days later, and I have received no communication. I called this afternoon, but was told that the manager, Ankit, was not in his office. It was 2pm!
Although this property is convenient to our relatives' apartment, we will not be staying here any longer. For the same prices, you can have a cleaner room, a friendlier staff, a responsive front desk, and a newer facility at the Four Points Sheraton 3 blocks away. We have stayed there, as well, and that is where we will be from now on.

Room Tip: This is not the safest area. When we parked behind the building, a police car pulled up to warn us...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello Bnwilensky,

The Best Western Plaza would like you to know your review regarding your stay with us has not been overlooked. We find review posts such as yours to be valuable and essential for improvements within our hotel. Our hotel is a non smoking policy and it is always unfortunate when policy is broken; we do apologize for any discomforts. On your next visit to see your relatives, we do hope you will give our hotel another chance, we assure you your experience will be different! Thank you for your candor, we really do appreciate it!

Much gratitude,