“Suited my budget, but would not stay again”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens
Ranked #25 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
leicestershire
“Suited my budget, but would not stay again”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We stayed here in October for 5 nights. I had emailed the hotel on a couple of occasions so that they were aware my son and I had allergies and could not have feather pillows as we are asthmatic. I did not have a reply. On arriving at the hotel I was a bit let down by the foyer area, it is first impressions unfortunately, but the guy who checked us in was efficient, not over friendly, and his English was not too hot either. We went to the room, it was fine then I checked the pillows. All feather.

I rang housekeeping and was told they only have feather - no hypo allergenic/foam. I went down to speak with reception and then all four receptionists found it very hard to understand English, and I knew they were talking about me in their respective languages behind my back as it were. In broken English he suggested folding a towel up for the duration of my stay..... When he could see the tears welling up he pointed to two large cushions on one of the sofas. I unzipped them and inside they were foam, I took them up to the room and my son and I used these for the 5 nights.

Breakfast was sort or frantic, with very little room to queue, sit, or get anything you particularly fancied. The fruit juice machine was out of order all the time we were there. The one member of staff that was on duty (same man each day) shuffled and sighed. He did try his best, but it was obvious more help was needed. Plates,cups etc were to be thrown away after eating, but it was hard to know where to put cups that were still half full from the previous persons at the table as there was just a big black dustbin at the end of the room. The tables were not cleaned and the food area where you helped yourself left a lot to be desired. We found a lot of people butted in but were taking their food back to their rooms.

The cleaning staff wore old brown T shirts with bleach stains over them...come on it doesn't cost to have your staff looking decent. We did find an old sock in our room on the first day, and it was only at the side of the bed, not as though it was tucked behind a cabinet or something so it did leave me wondering about how thorough they did clean.

I thought that being out of the centre of NY it would be reasonably quiet at night, NO. But then again I am a light sleeper, but even my husband commented and he can sleep anywhere any time.

Anyway, on the positive, it was in our price range, and not too far from the Metro station, but if I were to go to New York again, and hopefully I will, then I will save up just that bit extra to have a better class of hotel.

New York overall was fantastic and we had wonderful weather and so the hotel did not ruin the break for us, but it could have been so much better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Southampton
Reviewed November 12, 2010

This hotel was recommended to me by a friend as a good base for my first visit to New York, I must say he did me a big favour. The hotel is a 3 - 4 minute walk from Queensboro Plaza subway with 2 lines both going straight to the heart of Manhatten. When you arrive by Subway you can see the hotel just up the street as the train arrives so no problem finding it. My room was a typical American hotel room with huge, comfortable bed and excellent bathroom. The room also has a fridge (which I used) and a microwave (which I did not use). I booked a room with city (Manhatten) view which was spectacular, I really enjoyed waking up and looking out on the Chrysler and Empire State buildings.
Front desk staff seemed efficient to me and my check in and departures were both handled quickly and efficiently.
I have seen critisisms on this site of the breakfast room set up at this hotel. All I can say is I took the breakfast on 3 of the 5 mornings I was there. I went down at different times on each day and had no problems. The choice and quality was reasonable at the price and I had a choice of seating each day.
There is a Garage next door to the hotel which is well stocked with all types of food and drink for any snacks you may need during your stay.
The hotel is close enough to the subway that twice during my stay I returned in the late afternoon from sight seeing and then went back into Manhatten for the evening without wasting a lot of time on subway trains. I also took the subway in the opposite direction and explored Astoria a little, I would recommend Broadway as an interesting street to browse for eating, drinking or shopping and the Bohemian Beer Hall for drinking.
Overall a great base for a New York holiday at a sensible price and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank RacingAl
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 11, 2010

My wife and I found a bedbug in our bed at 2AM and the staff at the front desk was not accommodating or sympathetic at all about this problem.(I work in the hotel business and have seen many pictures of bedbugs, so I know it was one) They offered to change our room, but my wife, worried that the bugs might be worse in another room opted not to since doing so would also mean we would have to pack up and settle into another room at 2 AM in the morning with our 2-year old dautghter. We were told that our room would get a deep cleaning at 7AM, but nothing was done until 1PM. Finally, the "deep cleaning" never happened, as the maids were not communicated this, could not understand english, and our room was just routinely cleaned even as my wife watched them. The maids were very nice, but were not told by management to do a deep cleaning. Therefore they did not even vacuum the floor OR change our sheets. When I confronted the manager, he told me that the room attendants could not come and help us until checkouts were done. He had the horrific attitude that this was "our problem", and did not extend any kind of compensation whatsoever. I will NEVER book a room with them again! I would rather pitch a tent outside in the freezing cold.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank upsetcustomer1
Varazze, Italy
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I went to NY to run the Marathon, but I also wanted to visit. This Hotel was perfect. It is located close to 2 subway stations from where the access to Manhattan is very easy (2 stops get you to the 5th avenue). It is located near the Queensboro bridge. The neighbourhood is not pretty, it has a rugged industrial feel, but I always felt safe even at night. The Hotel is clean and my room was big and quiet. I enjoyed a beautiful view of the Manhattan skyline (there is a small extra charge for this). There is free WiFi in all the rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Thank sauron.cnp
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2010

After spending one night at the West Side YMCA, I stayed here based on recommendations for just over the YMCA's price per night ($170 + tax although by booking further in advance rates of possibly $120)

The nearest subway station is Queensboro Plaza and the N, Q and 7 lines run through this. All you need to do is get off the train here, go down 2 flights of stairs and exit through the door marked Queens Plaza North. Follow the walkway and go down some more stairs onto the street, Turn right and then right again at the army careers centre and you're on Crescent Street. You can't miss the hotel from here. 5 minutes tops from the subway to the hotel and 10 mins to Times Square.

Arrived after 12pm but my room wasn't ready so left my bags by the ATM/ PC in the entrance area. Came back later and was given a room on the 5th floor overlooking the taxi yard on Crescent Street (not sure if the type of room affects your view as some people get the back of the hotel that overlooks the city and I had a room with a whirlpool bath in it).

The room was big. There was a cupboard by the door with an ironing board, iron and coat hangers it in. Next to that was the bathroom room with a sink, toilet, and bath/shower. Plenty of hot water in the morning. Pantene shampoo and conditioner supplied as well as some body lotion and soap.

The whirlpool bath sat in a corner near the bed, which itself was big enough for at least 3 people across. Fairly high though but comfy.

A fridge and microwave were to be found inside the until on which the LCD tv sat alongside a coffeemaker (would have preferred a kettle).

Desk and chair along th same wall and an armchair plus stool next to the window.

Noise wise, the room was two away from the elevator so a little bit of noise. The fridge did tend to occasionally become noticable when it's compressor kicked in and sometimes you can hear horns honking outside due to someone not driving through a red light and causing the person behind to be 1 sec late.

Lighting wise, could do with a main light. When you come in the door, the light switch turns on a light above you that does little to illuminate much more than where you are standing. You have to walk over to the bedside tables and switch on the lamps there.

Power sockets. Loads of them so you can charge up a dozen things at the same time!

Breakfast. Had this twice between 6:30 and 7am.
There were no more than half a dozen people in room each time.
You go up and help yourself to cereal (cornflakes and similar) and get milk from two big jugs. There are also sachets of oatmeal / porridge, a small fridge with yoghurts, fruits, orange and apple juice, coffee machines, sausage and egg (round flat things like pancakes), bagels and various cakes and a couple of waffle makers.
Disposable plates and cups are used for everything and food is refilled if need be.

Free wi-fi is a great bonus - much better than paying $10 a day in most Manahattan hotels!

The gas station next door has a nice little shop that does bread, drinks, candy, some toiletries, coffee etc. Seems to be Greek run so a few Greek items about and they're very friendly in there.
Other business wise, there's a laundrette further down the street and a small cafe next to that. Around the corner is the recruitment centre, bike shop, diner, shop selling papers etc, a mens' hairdresser, diner and shoes shop.
Across the street (may be easier going up to the subway station and exiting through the Queens Plaza South door) are a few food places such as Dunkin' Donuts, Subway (inside the chicken/burger place), some Taco type place etc.

Should you want the F subway line, come out of the hotel and turn right at the gas station and it's a couple of blocks down that street. Not sure about the third subway station.

The area itself isn't too bad. Some bits look run down but there always seems to be traffic cops down by the bridge during the day (nice 1.5 mile walk or inclined run to Manahattan 1st Ave.)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Will_Stewart
Bedford, Indiana
Reviewed November 1, 2010

My son was putting on a play in Long Island City, so I thought I would start looking for hotels there first. Having visted NYC in the past, we always stayed close to Times Square or Central Park. We were up for a change. I am sure glad we did. The rooms were great. The free hot breakfast was a bonus as was the free internet in the rooms. Very close to the subway made it a breeze to get anywhere quick. The gas station next door made it nice to grab snacks for the room. A new deli (very friendly) just opened up down the street so we wood stop and grab a sandwich we we got off the subway. Going back in Nov. and staying there again. No more Times Square for us!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jasmine0059
New Zealand
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I stayed here for 2 weeks on a four week trip of the states with a friend.

I booked this hotel based on the reviews and price compared to Manhattan hotels.

I booked using expedia and had no problems at check in even though I booked months in advance.

I had booked a deluxe king room with city view and upon entering the room at night after a long flight from New Zealand was please to see a great view from the window of the city.

Free breakfast is great and topped up regularly. There is the normal stuff to choose from which has been mentioned in the other reviews.

Staff were not that helpful and also did wonder about their level of English at times. My friend needed to get to Newark airport for a flight back to canada and they could not tell her of a shuttle or car service she could take.

Lucky I had been to New York a few times and knew of the names of a few car services so used there free computer which is in the lobby to look up and book her a car service for her flight.

The hotel is close to a subway and although the area isn't that attractive it is not unsafe. I came back by myself a few nights late and never had a problem. Coming back together was also not a problem There is an apartment block on the street near the laundry mat which is also very handy to do some washing.

The gas station next door as mentioned is good for drinks and snacks if you need them. There is also vending machines in the breakfast area as well as on the floor I was staying on.

I would stay here again as it had everything I needed and was a great price for New York accommodation.

If you are a travel who does not need help for information with anything then you will do just fine staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends