“Three night break in NYC.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Three night break in NYC.”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We booked this as we were looking for somewhere reasonable to stay in New York and did not want to pay Manhattan prices. We secured a good rate for the three nights.
We found the hotel very easily with it being just a few minutes walk from the subway. The subway will bring you into midtown in less than 10 minutes. The area around the subway can intially seem a bit intimidating but to be honest it was perfectly safe and it is always good to see different parts of the city anyway. There is a reasonable choice of shops to pick up sandwiches etc and the petrol station next to the hotel is great for drinks and snacks.
Check in was quick and friendly.
The room was good, clean and enough space for the two of us.
The free breakfast was great with a good choice and some tasty bagels.
The reception staff were reasonably but not over friendly.
We used the luggage storage facility and also the free internet access.
All in all a really good choice if you want something at a reasonable price and are happy to take the short subway ride into Manhattan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Declan_01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Waltham
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I just returned from a stay at the Country Inn & Suites in Queens. I was with my two teenage daughters, our teenage cousin and her Mother. We stayed in a two room suite. The suite had a king size bed on the bedroom and a futon in the living area. When I booked the information page said we could request a roll away, so that was the plan to accommodate all five of us, but when we got there they said it wouldn't fit in our room. They did say we could squeeze it in if we wanted, but it was another $25.00, which I don't recall seeing a notation for a charge when I booked, but that isn't a big deal, it isn't unusual to have to pay for the rollaway. But we decided not to stuff a rollaway in the room. We made it work for the one night, but next time we really will need two rooms. The futon angled toward the floor so it was difficult for two people to sleep on it, and sleeping with my two teenagers in a king sized bed is not something I want to do for more than one night! The room was not the cleanest, I made the mistake of looking under the futon and a kids football was under there, which tells me it hasn't been cleaned under there from the last guests, or perhaps from the last few guests. The closet had just one sheet for the futon and one blanket and one pillow. We called down to get another sheet, blanket and pillow and we were promptly brought up one additional sheet, no mention of another blanket or pillow and I was to tired to ask again. There were a few extra pillows on the king bed, so they used one blanket (scratchy blanket) and one of our pillows and we made due. We would ask not to have this room again, we were near the elevator and you could hear it loudly all night. The bathroom was good size and clean. Our experience with the staff was good, they were kind and pleasant. No issues there. We couldn't check in when we got there and had to wait until the actual check in time, no big deal. I had prepped my kids not to pack one single item that they would be upset about losing. I had read on other posts about things disappearing from rooms, and that they allowed you to store luggage in the lobby prior to check in but it was not secure. That is the truth, it is not secure, but we didn't pack anything we couldn't part with easily, so it was fine for us. Breakfast was meager, and packed, but we got enough to get us through the morning. And there is a Dunkin right near the subway entrance, so I was able to grab a coffee when we headed into the heart of the city. That is the real gem of this place. It was manageable for me to drive to, there is a parking lot nearby that you can pay $15 to park for 24hrs, and the subway is two blocks away and three stops and you are in Times Square. You get what you pay for. We got a great rate at a place that was convenient to accommodate 5 of us on our annual trip to take in a Broadway show. We will likely return to this property again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank live2vayk
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I travel to NYC regularly and every time I stay somewhere different, based on price and availability. This was my first time staying in Queens and this hotel exceeded my expectations.

I stayed 2 nights without any problem. The hotel is very close to the subway, even with some MTA construction that weekend it was still convenient for getting into Manhattan.

Pros: very affordable and nice for the price, quiet, rooms were updated, had a view of Manhattan, breakfast was decent, free wifi worked well, clean

Cons: room was not ready until the exact check in time, which I guess is to be expected. But other hotels have had the room ready earlier, which is a major plus.

Also, Security is a bit lacking. Because our room was not ready when we got there we had to store our bags, which normally isn't a problem at most hotels. But the hotel's bag storage area is just a corner of the lobby- not behind the desk or in the back. So it didn't exactly feel as secure as it should considering people would just dig through the bags to find theirs (no bag claim tickets, or staff assistance)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kitschqueen
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The rooms are comfortable, the breakfast selection is small but tasty, the location is close to the metro which was nice. But all of that was tarnished when my headphones (which were sitting under some papers on the TV stand) disappeared in the two hours I was out when the cleaners came in. Calling down to the front desk didn't seem to help at all. They just told us that we should look harder. We had torn that room apart and still nothing! The Inn refused to compensate for my stolen property assuring us that their best housekeeper had cleaned our room the day in question. I find it hard to believe that their best housekeeper would leave their partly eaten chips on our floor. Maybe they aren't expected to clean up after themselves too, I don't know. So if you want to leave with everything you came with, I suggest you choose another place to stay. Either that or assume that anything that's left out on a desk will be taken as a 'tip'.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank MillerL86
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
We are disappointed and concerned to hear of the experience you had while staying at our hotel. We would like to speak with you directly regarding this problem so we can resolve this and to ensure something like this does not occur in the future. Please call Carlson Customer Care at 1-800-967-9182 at your earliest convenience.
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was appalled at the service as well as the condition of the "suite" we stayed in. We stay at Country Inn quite often when traveling with 4 or more partly due to the breakfast (my daugters LOVE the waffles) and because I have never been disappointed with the level of standards. This trip was a NIGHTMARE. From the rude check-in and attempted charge of incidentals PRIOR to our arrival as well as the "suite" we were given. The "sofa bed" was a broken futon, which was wouldn't even fold into a couch to make room for the 2 rollaway guest services placed in our room as replacement. It was IMPOSSIBLE to sleep on and I in fact had to pick my daughter off the FLOOR twice in the first night. Although the reservation CLEARLY stated that we were five (5), we were not given enough pillows nor sheets and blankets. When I asked guest services they responded with "if we have any we will send them up". "If" they have any????? This experience made me consider the staying at any other Country Inn in the future, although in eight years have NEVER had issues like this. Only consider this location if paying $100 or less and if traveling as a couple or two in a party and going to sightsee and not in need of actual "service".

Room Tip: pay only less than $100 and request city view room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BBombe
We are disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered during your stay at our hotel. Our management team has been made aware of the poor quality of service from the staff members. We are currently taking measures to ensure situations such as this do not reoccur in the future, as customer service is something we pride ourselves on at Country Inns & Suites. We hope you get the chance in the near future to visit our hotel, so we get the opportunity to exceed your expectations and restore your faith in our hotel.
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location if you are on an NYC budget. It's situated on the N, Q and 7 line at Queensboro Plaza. Then just around the corner from the station. Hotel is looking dated, shabby chairs in the foyer that could do with replacing. Staff are okay, a bit curt but maybe that is the NYC way. Breakfast very basic compared to some other Country Inns and no ketchup (I know, very minor but I like ketchup with my sausages!). Rooms fine and good if you have kids, you can have a 1 bedroom suite. Local area fine, garage next door to get water etc. Also a few local cafes, take aways available if you're back early. All in all would stay again with kids and for a cheap NYC stay.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank travelmum101
Lockport, Illinois
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here for one week between Christmas and New Year's Day, due to convenient location and affordable price for our family. The reservation was booked many months in advance, with a request of a rollaway for our family of five. Called front desk several times leading up to our trip to confirm rollaway request. I do not believe that this hotel owns a rollaway. When I called to confirm the morning of our arrival, the hotel front desk person announced there was no room for a rollaway in a 2 double bed room. I called to complain to Expedia, since I had booked this with their service and since it was too late to book anywhere else. Expedia called the hotel to ask them about this issue and the hotel agreed to provide a rollaway, based on availability. Well, there never was a rollaway available for the entire length of our one week stay.I believe they agree to the rollaway just to get you to book your reservation, then you get the surprise when you arrive.
Furthermore, and worse, my daughter's purse containing over $150 dollars of cosmetics was stolen from her suitcase on our day of check-out. We had stored our suitcases in another family member's room, since we did not like the idea of the suitcases being held out in the open lobby. During the several hours we were gone that morning, someone opened the suitcase and saw a purse on top, probably expecting to find money and/or charge cards. We discovered the missing item before our taxi came for the airport. The staff seemed unconcerned and stated that "their houskeeping staff does not steal items". They were unwilling to compensate us for the stolen items. I called the parent company, but because this is a franchise owned hotel, they said we must deal directly with this particular hotel. I have called since to see if the item has turned up, and of course it has not. Very disappointing !
Oh - and I see many accounts of hair on the towels (we had found this to be true as well). This is probably because I observed the houskeeping staff throwing the "clean" towels for the rooms on the hallway floor before replenishing them in the rooms. The only thing this property has going for it is its proximity to the subway to Manhattan. (thus the rating of 2)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank domenica10107
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
We apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay at our hotel. We do indeed have rollaway beds, but it is against the fire code to distribute rollaway beds to guests in the rooms with 2 double beds. Rollaways are available for a small fee on a first come first serve basis. The reason we do not allow guests to reserve rollaways is because we do want to accommodate each guest that arrives at our hotel as best as we possible can, so we do not want to hold a rollaway bed for a guest that might not show up.

We also apologize for the condition of the towels, we have contacted the housekeeping supervisor to ensure housekeeping practices are more closely monitored to ensure our staff is adhering to the standards of Country Inns & Suites.

If you wish to discuss this further, please contact Carlson Customer Care at 1-800-967-9182.