New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens
Ranked #21 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
New York City, New York
“Great Price and Easy Commute into NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel was at such a low price and I made it into the city so quickly the next morning! My room even had a gorgeous view of the 59th Street Bridge and Manhattan! Very clean and the free breakfast the next morning was an added plus.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jennifer K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a nice hotel in a great location. Just a block from the subway into Manhatten, and just two stops from Times Square. The room was clean, and the bed comfortable. The room was a pretty standard size for NYC. Desk was not overly friendly, but very helpful when asked. Would stay here again when traveling to the city.

Room Tip: They do not have onsite parking. The only free parking is on the street. I parked right in front o...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

Me and my partner spent 4 days here, it was a good hotel with a good position thanks to the underground station nearby the hotel which brings you in the heart of Manhattan in only few minutes. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with a good view over the Manhattan skyline. At the time of the booking the price was very competitive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Porto Alegre, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We booked this hotel for thanks giving holiday and we had a great surprise, the stay was really enjoyable. We also got a discount because I subscribed to Carlson’s Club before booking.
Room: really spacious, big bed, TV, microwave and fridge. We had a room at the 8th floor in the back of the building, so we had Manhattan view (amazing!). I think the acoustic was not so good, we could hear people talking from other rooms. But we could not hear any noise from the street. Great internet speed, included in the taxes.
Staff: really nice people! We arrived earlier than the check in time (1 pm and check in is at 3 pm), but our room was ready and they let us get in without costs. We also needed an extra bed for a friend that was in town just for one night and they could attend us.
Breakfast: great diversity of breads, muffins, cereals, and jelly (diversity such uncommon in American hotels!). I just missed more options of fruits, they just had bananas.
Location: really great location, you will not be in Manhattan, but you’ll be so close that it seems you’ll be in the island. There are 3 subway stations close to the hotel: 21 St-Queensbridge (F), Queensboro Plaza (N, Q, 7), and Queens Plaza (E, M, R). Queensboro Plaza is the closest, 2 blocks from the hotel. Surrounding area was ok, we did not have problems walking at night. There are a gas station at the street and some options of delis and small restaurants near Queensboro Plaza station.
I would stay again if I need, really close to Manhattan (without the high cost to be in Manhattan), comfortable room, and great breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back have Manhattan view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Poly_Rafa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Our family of five booked this hotel after searching for a "value for money hotel" that could sleep five, with reasonable access to Manhattan. The hotel has potential as it is close to the subway, was a good rate (given Manhattan prices) and had a reasonable breakfast included in the rate.

However, we faced a number of issues during our stay including unresponsive staff. Our request for a foldaway bed (requested when we booked 10 months ago and again on check-in) and for someone to look at our TV which was not working, appeared to be completely ignored. The bed never turned up and the TV in the bedroom did not work during our 7 night stay.

The lack of a foldaway bed, meant that our three children (including 2 teenagers) had to share the king bed. This might be fine for a night or so, but not great for a week's stay! It also meant that my husband and I had to sleep on the futon style bed in the living area - unfortunately we were near the very noisey elevator and combined with the paper thin door meant that we heard movement of people and the elevator most of the night.

The cleanliness of the room also left a bit to be desired. It wasn't the worst we have stayed in, but it certainly could have been better. We were however, happy with the cleanliness of the fitness room.

Overall, I would not stay in the hotel again but others may find that the cheaper cost of the room outweighs the disadvantages.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank H B
Carlson Hotels C, Online Support Specialist at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. Your comments are something we take seriously and I can assure you that such an experience is not what we would like to hear.

Your comments will be shared with management to make them aware of the problems you have experienced, so that we can make the necessary improvements, and hopefully in the future, meet your expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I never wrote any reviews. I decided to write reviews this time because I was bit by bed bugs during my 3 nights stay. And they ignored my complaint.

I noticed there was a bit on my right wrist on the first day. I thought it was a normal bug bit. The bit was small, round and red. During the three days stay, I did feel itchy on my legs. I scratched the skin and did not look at the itchy parts carefully. After I came back home, I saw my left leg got exactly the same bites as the one on my wrist. They were bit by BED BUGS. I called the hotel. The woman said they didn't get any complaint after we left. I left on Christmas Day. Today is Dec 29. I guess lots of tourists are staying your hotel to celebrate New Year with bed bugs. No refund for sure.

One more thing, I saw somebody's hair left on the "cleaned" towels in the bath.

Don't choose this place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank L C
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, NY and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure any claim is fully investigated. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is my second Country Inn & Suites stay within the last three months (previously in Florida) & I must say I am again disappointed. The room rate is great, the location, convenient to Manhattan & Times Square but without the prices of there. However, a common theme seems to be developing. I booked 2 rooms & in the first room, the sofa/futon was not set up to sit on, but to sleep - not a big deal, but their were some kids toys underneath, from the last visitor perhaps? However what is more disgusting is in the second room, at the edge of the sofabed, in plain sight, a pair of used, dirty women's underwear! Plus the ottoman in the room is filthy disgusting dirty - I posted a picture to prove it! Really, if you are missing the obvious, what else are you missing as well? I really want to like this place & chain, but they are making it difficult. The breakfast is great, free wifi, 3 minutes from front entrance to Queensboro Bridge subway station, everything, except the cleaning is going for it. The rooms are spacious, nice quality furnishings but the service is lacking. Called the front desk & asked for the manager, he was gone & no apology, when I mentioned the toys & underwear, I was asked if the dirty clothes & toys were mine & said he would send someone from housekeeping up to clean again. Sorry but that response has probably lost me as a customer. Sorry Carlsson, but the response says you don't care about me as a customer, so I will find somewhere else to spend my money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family