“We took chance, tried it out and would do it again....”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were looking for a hotel to stay at while we attended the Macy's parade. We didn't want to pay Manhattan prices but wanted to be close. I read all the reviews and decided on this property because of the rating on here, price and close proximity to the subway station. Our room was nice and a decent size. The property is showing some age but the room was clean and the view of the city was good. The breakfast was decent and the staff was average friendly which is par for the course in NYC. There is a parking lot real close and cost is $15 for 24 hours. There is a c-store right next door and their prices are better than what we would expect in upstate NY, where we live.

We discussed it on the way home and decided that we were stay here again!

Room Tip: Get a city view room.
3  Thank AdirondackGypsy
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Hotel was very clean, check in was fast, friendly and informative. Pay parking facility was right next door and not expensive, $15.00 for 24 hrs. Hotel was half the price as driving into down town and so was the parking. Didn't get a chance to have the continental breakfast but one of the other families that were there said it was good & they were happy with it. There is a gas station right next door with a convience store inside, very handy. The room seemed like it had just been remodeled. The bed was very comfortable with lots of pillows. 40" TV, lots of channels, Mini Frig. and Microwave. I would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I can't belive there are any bad ones. But as a rule of thumb, ask for a room away from the stai...
Reviewed November 20, 2012

To whom this may concern,

Recently I stayed at the Country Inn and Suites Long Island City location with a business colleague of mine and I am sorry to report that the entire experience was dreadful. Our company is comprised of insurance adjusters who traveled MANY hours to New York to assist the victims affected from Superstorm Sandy.

Immediately at check-in, my colleague and I ran into problems with the staff at the front desk. Specifically, the name on my colleagues Driver's License read Richard as his name, but the staff would not accept his business credit card as the name on the card said Rick. Therefore according to the front desk staff the names did not match and they would not accept. My colleague finally paid with his personal debit card. The next morning I asked another attendant about the same who said that was ridiculous and that she never would have treated us like that.

The attitude and professionalism displayed by the hotel staff at the front entrance was deplorable, however due to thousands being displaced by Sandy, we had nowhere else to go. I think they used that to their advantage or we would have walked right out. Additionally, as many rooms located in and around New York City were being booked, I personally made an additional reservation that would have extended my stay for an additional three (3) days into the weekend. Fortunately, during that time before the weekend, I found another hotel, which was much closer to the disaster area, ultimately allowing me to assist more people as I did not have to make the 4 hour commute. Upon checkout, I was provided an invoice for my stay and verbal agreement from the front desk that they canceling my additional reservation.

In hindsight, I should have requested a cancellation number or asked for a copy of the cancellation reservation because the hotel never did follow up with their agreement and subsequently charged me for an additional 3 days even after I formally checked out of my room. I attempted to contact the hotel manager regarding the same, but to no avail as they never returned my calls.

In closing, I feel taken advantage of and was not even provided the courtesy of having the front desk or Country Inn and Suites management explain why they charged me for a room that I cancelled and did not stay in. This unfortunate event may very well be a "sign of the times" as this particular facility appears to be all about the money, not customer satisfaction. Let this serve as a warning to those traveling long hours or displaced by Superstorm Sandy to not be caught off guard when checking in or out of this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank siesonja
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

We are very sorry to hear about the billing problems that you encountered at our hotel. We do appreciate you taking the time to post this review and we will take your comments very seriously.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our room had good city view with huge bed. If we go again I would take a kettle. There was a coffee maker but not tea making stuff other than microwave. Milk was not provided so went to gas station next door which was very well stocked. Breakfast was a crowded affair if you timed it wrong, but you could take food back to your room. My mother 94 and niece were in an other room they had problems with dirty sheets and lack of bedding which took a long time to sort out due to language problems. Very convenient for subway and a safe area even at night.

Room Tip: Higher rooms had best view. Take your own kettle
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The hotel was very close to Manhattan. The station is in 7 minutes walking distance and next 7 minutes by the subway and find yourself in Times Square. The hotel is easily approachable with large luggage. The surrounding area is safe, we felt comfortable even at midnight. Very clean rooms, towel change and housekeeping every day, fridge, LCD TV, etc. Decent breakfast. Very convenient and we felt safe at all times. We stayed in 803 in believe, eight floor facing the Manhattan – photo-like skyview. Return to JFK by subway to be successful in an easy from Queensboro Plaza Station. I can recommend this hotel to anybody who is visiting NY and want to get a cheap, safe, close hotel to Downtown.

Room Tip: Rooms higher floors on the Manhattan side.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Auv0
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is clean , starting to show wear in areas . Staff was certainly less than friendly and welcoming . We were given a room key , went up to find the door wide open . There was a man preparing to steam clean the room , and this was the room they chose to put us into . He used his radio to let the staff know and the girl came up to show us an alternative room . It was smaller , but when I said that , I was told by the young lady that it was the same . The staff was the main reason this hotel did not get an excellent rating . The room was inset in the corner, and was definitely smaller. The breakfast room had too little seating , and several bins were empty for what seemed long periods . Staff spoke to each other in a non English language, loudly , but spoke to guests very little , and seemed like guests "bothered" them . City view room on top floor was worth the extra money although there is a large building being built that blocks part of the view. The bridge looks fabulous day and night . Several small cafes nearby , and a handy convenience store open 24 /7 next door was great . The elevator makes noise when it stops at each floor , but we were not near it , luckily . The room was clean , shower lacked pressure . Superb value compared to what we paid in MidTown last visit . Subway is a great way to get around , never felt afraid at all . Love N.Y.C. ! Will stay here again, asking for city view room . Lending library in lobby is a terrific idea . I love to read . Fantastic hotel if little thing can be overlooked .

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near elevator or ice machine . Pay for city view room .
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dodi534
Reviewed November 7, 2012

It is a new hotel, very close to the subway, new furniture, fast lift. The major flaw is the Staff. Housekeeping are friendly but don't clean the room properly. They leave hair around the corner. I removed hair of towels, of bathroom floor and of table EVERY DAY. (and it was not my hair). The manager is rude and doesn't solve the problems. When you request any information or help, the answer is always around "You're on your own". The breakfast is good and varied. Although the breakfast room is large, there are few tables. The staff that makes replacement of food comes every half hour, so it is always something missing.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family