“A lovely surprise!”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Philadelphia, PA
“A lovely surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

We had to move our kid to Queens from Boston this past weekend so you can imagine the "fun" weekend. I found this new Holiday Inn a few subway stops from her apartment and the price was right.. Well, it was a great surprise to have a gorgeous large corner room with balcony and sliding door, marble bath, beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable at the end of a very tedious hot day. The N-Q subway is just a half block away, so we took that into Manhattan for a nice dinner. The immediate neighborhood is not appealing for tourism, but a mass transit ride up to Astoria or into Manhattan is a snap. The only reason I gave a low star rating for service is the attitude of the waitress for breakfast in the hotel. We did not have a reservation that included breakfast and I did not mind paying, but those who buy (or get free) continental breakfast get relegated to a few lame tables in the dining room. No place mats, no napkins. Everyone who orders from the menu gets a noticably perfectly set table. The waitress made us move TWICE because we did not want to sit at one of the lame tables. And we were paying! She really had an attitude and it made me irritated as the place was not busy. There were dozens of empty tables here. The front desk staff was lovely. There is a small swimming pool in the basement that we did not use, and we saw a pretty nice fitness center adjacent to it. Parking is very limited and costs extra. We will stay here again when we visit our daughter.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My boyfriend, best friend and her boyfriend and I all stayed at this hotel back in July. We could not have been more happier with this hotel. I go to new york very often, and I have to say out of all the hotels I have stayed at, this is by far the best one all in all.
The hotel is conveniently located near the 39th st train station(about a 2 min walk) IT takes 5 min to get into the city(amazing). There's a convenience store across the street( severs good cheap breakfast sandwiches). The hotel rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds. depending on what side of the hotel you stay in you can get a nice view of the Manhattan skyline. To sum everything up, this is an amazing hotel for its price and location. The only thing i was upset about was having to pay for parking, I stay at the holiday inn at least 10 times a year and have never in my life had to pay for parking in an outdoor paring lot, but what can you do. For sure I will be back again this year

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Gouda, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I stayed here last year in august with my girlfriend, it was our first visit to the United States and NYC.

The area is not very special, but the hotel is located only minutes from the 39th Avenue subway station and from there you'll be in Manhattan in 10 minutes. There is a deli across the street, and also a atm and another deli around the corner. We never felt unsafe, not even at night.

The hotel is brandnew, so everything is so clean, and also the bathroom was very nice. And we only had the standardroom wich also had a flatscreen tv with cable, mini fridge, small closet, etc. Clean towels everyday.

Staff was very helpful and nice, the guy at the desk would give us tips of where to go and what to do etcetera. When i had a problem flushing the toilet someone of maintenance was send up right away to fix the problem, superb.

The bed slept very nice, and we heard no noise what so ever during the nights.

I recommend this hotel to everyone who doesn't feel like paying high Mahattan hotel prices but still wants to say in a clean, nice, comfort hotel very close to Manhattan!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

I am actually from New York City and I was at the Manhattan because I was the organizer of my 20 Year High School Reunion. I stayed in the Manhattan View Suite while my other classmates stayed in rooms within the hotel as well. The service was great. The Suite was amazing!!! I truly felt as though I was in another state. The food was top notch! My classmates also enjoyed their stay and were pleasantly surprised. Of course when the visit back to New York this Holiday Inn will be their first choice. Those that live in New York plan come back as well. That's saying ALOT!!! Its already been my choice! Honestly there is no sense to stay in Manhattan anymore, save your money and come to the Holiday Inn in Long Island City.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Manhattan View. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful - allowed me to stay an extra 2 hours in my room after check out with no extra charge.
The view from my room wasn't of NYC but when waiting for the elevator on the top floors you get a great view of the city! My room was always spotless, it was very modern and spacious enough for a couple (I had a 1 queen bed room). The bathroom was clean and the shower was really nice. The bed was extremely comfortable and the noise heard from the road was minimal. Lots of closet space and the lounge chair was a nice touch. It was great to have a hair dryer and magnifying mirror in the bathroom. Even though the temperature outside was -3°C (with lots of snow!) my room was always warm enough.
There was a computer with internet for use in the basement which was useful to print out tickets (this was free).
I never had meals there so I can't comment on that aspect but as a whole I cannot fault this hotel.
The location of the hotel is 2 blocks to the subway and seems relatively safe even at night - I walked back alone (a single young female) between 2am and 5am some nights and didn't have any problems (I kept my wits about me though!) It is a 10-15min subway journey to the centre of NYC and the trains are regular.
If I was coming to stay in NYC again I would NOT hesitate to stay here. It is excellent value for money and I have recommended it to many of my friends; only slight issue I had was that it was the pool wasn't open when I stayed there (however I doubt I would have used it even if it was - there's too much going on in NYC to have a swim!)
Thank you for such a lovely stay, hope to see you again soon!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank bcn85
Redmond, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

The hotel turned out to be all that we expected and more. My wife and I took our teenage granddaughter to NYC and opted to stay at this hotel. We stayed at the hotel for six nights. Most hotels in Manhattan only have 2 double beds. This Holiday Inn has rooms with 2 queens. Our room was on hte 12th floor and we did in fact have a view of the Manhattan skyline. The room was quiet. We could hear the subway but it was not loud. The hotel staff was very courteous.

We arrived from the Newark Airport and took the Airtrain to Penn Station. Taking the subway from there to the hotel required carrying luggage up and down stairs. It was not convenient. We took the cab to Penn Station on the way home ($30 from the hotel). Unless you just have carry on luggage, you will find that hauling luggage up and down stairs through the subway system is not much fun.

The hotel is only a block from the subway and you can't miss it from the subway stop. It is a short trip (2 stops) from the Hotel into Manhattan. We bought one week subway passes ($27) that we used for almost all of our transportation.

There is a convenience store across the street from the hotel where we bought bagels & cream cheese ($1) each morning together with coffee. The store also makes sandwiches and serves some hot food items to go. We had bagels & cream cheese and coffee from the store every day. We also bought sandwiches on one occassion. The food at the store is very good and the staff is very helpful. They sell beer but no wine at the store.

There are several restaurants near the hotel. We ate at two of them. I highly recommend Tokyo II which is under the subway tracks about 1 block from the subway stop near the hotel. Very good sushi! They have an extensive menu that should please everyone. We also ate at Brasil which is a block from the hotel. The hotel is in a Brazilian neighborhood. Brasil is more of a bar than a restaurant but the food is fine and it is fun to go and catch up on your Portuguese. We ate in the hotel's restaurant only once. There was never anyone in the restaurant and the food was just OK.

We did not find the hotel room to be small. The room size was adequate for the three of us. The shower stall in our room was awesome. Rather than just having a tub with a shower, the rooms have big shower stalls. We never heard noise from adjacent rooms.

I would much rather stay at this hotel than at a hotel in Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Miami, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2010

We booked at this hotel for two nights for the weekend of Valentine's Day back when I used to work for the company that manages it. We were pleasantly surprised with how clean and chic the hotel is... it was in fact a REALLLY nice hotel! The rooms were comfortable, the staff was amazing, and you have GOT to check out the hotel restaurant!! The food was excellent, especially the breakfast (almost like a 5-star hotel menu selection!). The only downside it has is its terrible TERRIBLE location, in the middle of the hood. My husband and I walked up and down the surrounding blocks looking for a decent place to eat as we were starving from our flight. Let's just say that all we saw were hoodlums giving us crazy, scary looks. I would suggest you not walk around the hotel, as it is NOT the safest of neighborhoods. It was a pretty expensive cab ride into the city ($30) each time, so next time we will probably stay in the city instead. It was a FANTASTIC hotel, too bad it's located in the worst of the worst of neighborhoods.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
BizTraveler08132009, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
Our location is among an up and coming neighborhood. This area is deep in tradition and many of the local home owners are 2nd and 3rd generation. The Long Island City locale is very popular with the local artists. Several new or refurbished buildings are home to artists and their galleries. There are several new businesses in the area, although admittedly there are many buildings under construction or remodeling. You can find ethnic dishes at many Greek, Thai, Hispanic or Indian restaurants within walking distance on 36th Avenue or Broadway Avenue. Our location lends itself well to tourists looking to visit Manhattan, only one block from the N/Q train station and 10-20 minutes to just about anywhere in Manhattan ($2.25 train ticket each way). The subways are safe at any time, day or night. The Long Island City/Astoria neighborhood is one you would find safe, convenient and just where you want to be when visiting the NYC area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Island City
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York ...
#5 of 31 in Long Island City
Hilton Garden Inn New York Long ...
#2 of 31 in Long Island City
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York ...
#1 of 31 in Long Island City
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
#273 of 467 in New York City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,840 reviews
Wyndham Garden Long Island City ...
#13 of 31 in Long Island City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,094 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!