“Convenient” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
“Convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

My girlfriend's room had a Manhattan view and her room was tiny. My room had a view of scenic Queens, but it was huge. Something to consider.

Part of vacationing is being able to relax and soak in a tub....both rooms were shower only.

We had room service twice and were very pleased both times.

It is very convenient to a couple subway stops.

The staff is so-so. They were very distracted, asked me the same question multiple times. The attempt at multi-tasking meant they weren't doing any of the things they were working on properly. Do one thing. Do it right.

Overall a good experience.

Oh, why have signs up saying you are environmentally friendly and to hang up your towels if you don't want them swapped out....only to replace them anyway?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank cham3814
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Cham3814,

Thank you for the opportunity to have you stay with us. I appreciate your candid feedback and will manage to get the observations and services corrected. I want to apologize again. Glad to hear some things went well and again thank you for highlighting these items. We are convenient to the city center as you know and views are wonderful from any part of the building.

We have a couple of things to work out however thank you again for the "in"convenient truth. If you do ever have the opportunity to stay with us again please contact me directly. I appreciate your comments and can guarantee a better experience. Thank you for staying with us.

Travel Safely,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

Staying here for 2 nights in the middle of last summer.

Positives:
+ All staff here treats us not as a guest, but when staying here they treated us like a good old friend, this concept is same as a USD 1000 price tag Aman Resorts. 11/10.
+ All staff here was very informative about the surrounding area, subway, etc. Before I arrive here, I sent numerous email to the GM, Mr.Rosario Bianchi. I asking everything about NYC, and their hotel. He was very gracious and very informative in answering my questions, He gave me a sense of "very welcome", although I still didn't arrive.
+ Very competitve price, about USD 200 nett in the middle of summer, much cheaper than the other hotels in Times Sq. you can reach Times Sq in 30 min from here, but the price was 50% cheaper.
+ They gives us late check out until 2 pm, free of charge.
+ Groceries store nearby.

Negatives:
- Surrounding Area: very quiet, like a ghost town, err maybe I'm too hyperbolic :), but I didn't like their atmosphere at all. Far from my expectations about NYC.
- The Subway, at 10am till 3 pm the nearest subway station (2 block from hotel) don't operate. So, you must walk about 8 block to reach the nearest subway station).
- The Taxi: taxis are very rare in this area, and also when I came to this hotel, the taxi driver did not know the location of this hotel, even I've clearly shows the map.
-Their double bed was too small for us, maybe just 160x200cm.

Recommended: Absolutely Yes, their hospitality is their main strength.
Return To Sleep: Maybe No, I still like the Times Square atmosphere.

As usual, I always include photos in each of my reviews on Tripadvisor. - It's Real Review.

Room Tip: Just ask High Floor, Manhattan View, all of their staff are very helpful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FSB_81
Dear Guest,

I guess we meet again! Thank you for your time and feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to afford you a good value and services. Our team is committed to give our guests the best experience. It was a pleasure communicating to you and making sure you had enough information before your arrival.

Our area has become more of a destination for those guests who do not want to pay Manhattan prices. It's definitely not Times Sq. It only takes a 15 minutes to get there. We have 2 train stops located near the hotel, N or Q Trains is a1 block away and the 7 and E trains is 4 blocks away. The 7 train has been on weekend repair for 26 weeks and we continue to voice our issue with this so again I apologize for this. There are new restaurants opening in our immediate area. The pictures were nice thank you for sharing them. The hotel only has queen size beds as the smallest bed type. I apologize if you felt the bed type was small.

I will certainly pass on the positive feedback to our team and again thank you for the Real Review! Hope you can stay with us again soon!

NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

It's a very nice business hotel - close to Manhattan, quiet and the views of Manhattan are spectacular. The room I stayed in wasn't large, but I didn't expect huge sizes and I was very happy about the stay. The neighborhood is a bit industrial, but what do I care :).

Room Tip: High floor, Manhattan view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank w314
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and feedback! On behalf of the entire team at the Holiday Inn L.I. City, we look forward to your next visit. Thank you for choosing IHG!

Kindest Regards,
Pune, India
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,079 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

To find a hotel for less than $100 a night, 1 subway stop from Manhattan, and Manhattan views to kill for, would be almost impossible. Well, not really. This is all at this property. It is clean, fresh, smart, warm service, killer views and almost in manhattan.

The surrounding area is gruffy right now, but it is going through a gentrification, with many hotels and condos coming up. However, it will take a while before the area is fully spruced up. But, except for the walk to and from the subway, you will not spend any time in the area, because there is nothing else to do here. No restaurants or any other activity. In fact, it is best to hop on the subway (2 blocks away) and get to Manhattan for a whole different world.

My room (1501) was smallish, but was made to look spacious with a wall of reclining glass windows floor to ceiling, facing the bed and looking west towards midtown Manhattan. Yes, you will also look over the rooftops of the adjoining neighborhood, but you will have to pay some price for this value oriented place. I look the new Holiday Inn style of a shower stall instead of a tub, far more practical and modern. The new Holiday Inn beds are very, very comfortable, firm and cushy. The staff that greets you at Reception is one of the happiest lot I have encountered in a while, all cheerful and helpful.

Wifi was a bit of a problem. It was inconsistent and at times dropped completely and was very slow.

But overall, if you can snag a room here for less than $100, you will be lucky!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor with a Manhattan view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank ZenHealer7
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our property! We appreciate the time and consideration in choosing our hotel compared to Manhattan. You will find value outside of Manhattan as the outer boroughs are increasingly becoming a destination for guests traveling to NYC. Our property is close to major airports and offers the convenience, as you explained, to get in and about the city by a short metro ride. Our area indeed is gentrifying and there are a few nice restaurants along side our hotel. Our very own Brazilian Restaurant offers an authentic style rodizio BBQ which I suggest trying next time your in our neighborhood. I do apologize, I wasn't sure if you contacted anyone for the Wi-Fi issue as we have staff available to assist you to ensure you have a better experience in the future.

I will pass on your kind feedback in regards to the cleanliness and friendliness of our hotel to the men and women who really make our hotel the best in NYC. Thank you once again for staying with us!

143 cities Reviewed is quite impressive, and you have helped 359 guests with your useful tips. Travel Safely and I hope you continue to have great experiences everywhere you go.....

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

There is not so much to add to all the raving reviews about this hotel.
Considering the unbelievable savings comparing to any Manhattan hotel, I would definitely stay there just for the price.

But there is more to this hotel than an attractive rate.

First of all, very friendly and helpful staff . If you need a good restaurant in the area, or some advice on transportation – they are always there to help you.

Second, a very clean and spacious room. ( We had one with a small balcony – not so much of a great view, but still a nice feature). Door to ceiling windows, a lot of light.

Third, and for us some of the most important features that nowadays many hotels ignore: a small real frig ( not the one with the mini bar temperatures), free Internet and a coffee machine.
It happened so that a weekend before staying at the Holiday Inn L.I.City, we stayed at DoubleTree hotel on Lexington Ave in Manhattan. Not only the rate was much higher – than on top of that you had to pay for the Internet, no refrigerator, a tiny room and no coffee maker. There was even no comparison.

As for the parking, it is a very safe neighborhood. Instead of paying the garage rate, we just parked off the street for 2 nights. No problem.
We did not eat at the restaurant, but it was packed at the night time .
We sent couple friends to stay in this hotel and they were more than happy with it; we definitely will be back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank trips365
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback and time in expressing your experience at our hotel. It goes without saying, Value and Space is the great thing about staying outside of Manhattan. I pride on our service and you will not meet a more knowledgeable and helpful stay in Long Island City! I will share your feedback with our team. We are delighted you found your stay comfortable and to your expectations. Thanking you for making this "A Great Place" and referring guests to our property. Travel Safely......

Warmest Regards,
Duryea, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

This hotel is located a block and a half from a subway stop and will get you to Times Square in no time flat. If you're lucky enough to get a city view room, you'll be bowled over by the nighttime view. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is limited parking on site, but there is a parking garage next door, where you pay Queens, rather than Manhattan rates. Overall great value for the money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank David S
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear David,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and travel tips for our future guests! Value, Service, and Convenience is our mantra. We hope to see you sometime in the near future. We appreciate your time and again, thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View.

Travel Safely.....

Warm Regards
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We recently took a vacation to NY, and staying at this hotel was a great choice! Upon our arrival at LGA we took a cab ride to the hotel for only 20 bucks! We walked in the hotel where we were greeted by Elizabeth, who was amazing. Super friendly and helpful since it was our first trip to NY. She explained the subway system, where to get on/get off for our hotel. She had great recommendations for things to do in the area and was a great source of information.
Elizabeth was warm, friendly, and very hospitable, as was everyone else at this hotel. We'd definitely recommend our friends/family to stay here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank converse_emopunk
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn L.I. City for your visit to NYC! We continue to see more and more guests prefer the convenience from the NYC airports to our hotel and the close proximity to Manhattan. The subway is great way to get around and puts you in the city center in minutes. Elizabeth is the Welcome Ambassador of our family. Elizabeth sure knows how to make guests feel comfortable and enjoy their experience while staying with us. I will certainly relay your kind feedback to the entire family. From all of us, thank you for staying at our property and we are delighted you enjoyed your time. We look forward to many visits and thank you for referring our family to yours.

Sincerely