Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Gem”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed 3 nights here and the room was clean and much bigger than we were expecting (given all the other hotels in NYC we had looked at. Really convenient for the subway and staff were very friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay again if we return to NYC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear KJW,

Thank you for your time and feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to work with you and the team and I would llike to send our very best wishes and thanks for your wonderful feedback. Friendly, Clean, and Convenience are words we very much llike to hear so again thank you and hope to see you on the next visit to our city!

Appreciatively,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel was perfectly suited to our needs. It was only a 3 minute walk to a subway and I felt very safe there. There is a really tasty dining place called Zantes next to the subway where we would go for breakfast. The view really was wonderful and the place was clean and comfortable. (Beds were very comfortable.) Most importantly, however, the staff was awesome -- everyone from the maids to the restaurant waitress to the front desk clerks! They were helpful, friendly, and fun. We had a wonderful stay! I can't say enough nice things about them!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Cindy,

Thank you for your recent RAVE review and appreciate the details regarding the local area and staff! I've mentioned before that the hotel staff are the best in long island city and really take the time to ensure our guests receive the best service! Another good tip for travelers to use when they visit us!

I want to again thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your time and consideration!

We'll hope to see you at the next time......

Appreciatively,
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here as the prices in Manhattan were outrageous and this hotel was easily 3/4 less. We had a king sized bed in the seventh floor which offered floor-to-ceiling windows on two walls, a sliding glass door on to a balcony and was one of the most spacious rooms I have ever stayed in when visiting NYC. The hotel is just a two block walk to the N and Q trains. The neighborhood is certainly the drawback as it doesn't have the same Manhattan feel. The little bodega across the street offered great breakfast sandwiches and adding avocado is free! It is a Dominican owned place so lots of flavors from the island. Overall, I would definitely stay here again. After a long day doing meetings in Midtown, followed by dinner and a glass of wine, being only three/four stops from my hotel was so
appealing.

• Stayed July 2013
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Blaize

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and area. You have found value in the boroughs and noticed the convenience as well! We apprecitate the feedback and want to thank you for highlighting your day with a short subway ride back to your hotel. Nice picture off the balcony! Till the next time, safe travels and an authentic empanada awaits you when you come back!

Warmest Regards,
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel was clean, modern and fully functional to meet our needs. We were meeting friends in Brooklyn one day and seeing family in Queens the next, so we wanted to avoid the hassle of Manhattan. Although the room was a little small, everything was well designed so that we did not feel cramped - very efficient use of space. Great view of the Manhattan skyline.
The front desk staff was friendly and helpful.
We got a great deal from the Holiday Inn web site ($126 with AAA discount) and had no trouble parking on the street. Although much of the neighborhood is metered, we arrived after the meters went off in the evening, so parking was free and easy. We then just fed the meter in the AM until we were ready to leave. We found a great inexpensive place for breakfast on Yelp that was about a block and a half away (Zante) - where the locals (cops, construction workers, etc.) eat. It was nothing fancy, but as a former New Yorker, I appreciated that what are perceived as "special orders" in other places (i.e. I want my homefries crispy, my scrambled eggs well done, etc.) were received as basic instructions, no different than asking for rye vs. wheat. And, of course, everything came exactly as we ordered it.
The neighborhood is safe. As others have noted, it's in transition from industrial to becoming gentrified.
We will definitely come back and have already recommended this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Manhattan skyline!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Nancy,

Thank you very much for you time and feedback concerning out location, accommodations and services. I really appreciate the part about our location and local fare. Being from here really gives our potential guests a true feeling about Long Island City. A true testimony! Metered parking is a local perk, good job on taking advantage of it! You now know where we are and where to find great rates compared to Manhattan Hotels, we look forward to your future visits back home and thank you for recommending our property.

Well Wishes, Keep Reviewing, and Travel Safe!

Best,
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stay in Manhattan from time-to-time, but wanted something convenient to both NY (The City) and La Guardia, and we found it! Will surely stay here again. Good location in Residential / Light manufacturing neighborhood in Astoria/Queens. Really is just 2 subway stops from midtown, as they advertise. We have stayed in Manhattan hotels that were actually further from our Manhattan destination than this Queens/Astoria Hotel. Also, we met the Hotel's GM, Mr Rosario Bianchi, who is a lower-Midtown native; very nice and helpful man. And, could I forget(?), Front-Desk Natali and others were very helpful, especially in calling Car Service, which ALWAYS arrived in less than 5 minutes!

Room Tip: Sturdy, well-built facility showing no problem rooms we could find.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Manhattan View recently! We appreciate the kind feedback and I'm delighted the location, staff, and property were accommodating and convenient during your stay. I will pass on your comments to Natalie as well as our Housekeeping Team and we hope to see you down the road sometime. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Warmest Regards,
UK
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I read previous reviews carefully before booking this hotel. I think it is always difficult to select a big city hotel so to help others considering if to book. I would add -

Manhattan is accessible by N train (10 mins walk to the station) or Taxi (about $25) but you are very out of the city in terms of atmosphere and amenities. This location is a residential and industrial area, whilst I did not feel it unsafe, it is quite run down and not somewhere I would want to take a walk, other than to the subway station. If you are looking for a more affordable option than you will find in NYC, and can live with a commute into the city and without an upmarket neighbourhood and its restaurants etc to hand, then this is a good option.

Hotel staff are all without exception, very helpful and friendly and you really feel they are trying hard. A small bar and restaurant area was quite busy and given its limitations the hard working and friendly staff helped make it a pleasant place to relax.

The hotel is new (ish) and typical later style Holiday Inn. I found it slightly noisy with both corridor and street noise. One those hotels that when the next room flushes the bathroom you can hear the plumbing. Wi Fi is very poor, slow speed everywhere I tied to sue it within the hotel and constantly dropping connection.

Well done to the Management and team (Catherine and Rocky etc) you are trying very hard to deliver good service and it and works!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank OleDunk
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for wanting be close too us..... 251 cities beats the previous review.

Our Hotel and the staff would like to thank you for noticing their efforts and details regarding your stay. I must admit, my one expectation to all of my staff is too always try and never say no to a guest. We continue to follow this culture and our guests receive the best service. I certainly apologize for the speed of the internet, next month we will be receiving fiber cabling long awaiting boost which our property is excited about. Also apologize for any noise levels as the neighborhood is residential mostly.

Overall The fact that you mentioned Great Hotel is this review says a lot. I will mention your feedback to Catherine and Rambo (Rocky could be her new alias) and we all want to thank you for staying with us!

Until we see you again, safe travels!!!

essex
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at this Hotel upon recommendation of a friend and we were not dissapointed in the slightest, the only issue was that our Yellow Cab Driver from JFK did not know where it was but headed in the general direction and located it.
The Staff at the Hotel were welcoming and treated us from the off as though we were friends who had returned, eager to explain what was going on both in the Hotel and in the surrounding area including the best place to get breakfast (Blueberry Pancakes with a side of bacon and limitless Coffee).
The room was adequate for our needs and had a partial view from our 7th floor window over Manhattan, we had asked about upgrade to a Manhattan view on a High Floor with a balcony but unfortunately it was not to be.
Subway at nearby (two blocks) 39th & Bebe gave excellent access to all the areas of Manhattan and beyond (Coney Island) for $2.75 for a single trip or $2.50 if you buy a multi trip Metrocard, but don't ask the guy sitting in the booth at the station as he was most unhelpful.
Overall a great experience and we did not feel at all unsafe in the neighbourhood even when travelling back late at night/early in the morning.

Only one tiny negative was the darkness/blandness of the Restaurant which was used for both Breakfast and a BarBQ Restaurant in the Evening, however the breakfast (Not Buffet) was very good with Pancakes freshly cooked.

Room Tip: High Floor with balcony and view over Manhattan, don't be put off by the location it did not fee...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very detailed review of our hotel and location! I must say with having visited 80 cities your feedback with certainly help future visitors to get a sense of the area. I must thank you for choosing our hotel and for your kind words. I hope you have not adopted anyone here as our staff can become very attached to our guests and it’s great to hear of the warm welcome you received. Convenience is the key you said it!

The area is becoming more vibrant each day, the local Business Development Offices continue to beautify and add parks, culture and restaurants in our area. Our Brazilian restaurant definitely adds to the gentrification. We cannot thank you enough and hope to see on your next visit!

Warmest Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Island City
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York ...
#5 of 31 in Long Island City
Hilton Garden Inn New York Long ...
#2 of 31 in Long Island City
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York ...
#1 of 31 in Long Island City
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
#272 of 467 in New York City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 10,967 reviews
Wyndham Garden Long Island City ...
#13 of 31 in Long Island City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,101 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!