“Good place outside Manhattan”

Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
Bergamo, Italy
“Good place outside Manhattan”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

in New york, if you look something cheaper than manhattan's hotels this is a good choice.
very close to the subway, and 3 stops to Manhattan.
Located in a quiet area in Queens, not nice but quiet.
The hotel is a classic Holiday Inn style. Very clean, nice room, and kind staff.
I racommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Ciao Fillipo!

Grazie! For the great feedback and we're estatic that you have enjoyed your stay with us! We appreciate you sharing the convenience and quiet neighborhood to fellow travelers. Its very important and again want to thank you for staying with us!

We hope to see you again!

Appreciatively,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Southampton
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is my second time to this hotel and would certainly return again. Good value for money and great location. The deli on the corner opposite the hotel is also excellent. The front desk staff are excellent and really helpful. Small, but very clean, modern gym equipment. Could just about sneak a Manhatten view from my window as well. Cab ride downtown about $20 on the meter, about $45 to JFK and $30 to LGA.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest!

Thank you for your kind feedback and we look forward to your visit in the future! They say 3's a charm! We appreciate your time and thank you for becoming a fan of the Holiday Inn Manhattan View!!

Kindest Regards,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We recently stayed here due to needing to be near our daughter's apartment. It is a very nice and clean hotel. We were upgraded to a bigger room and had two queen beds with a flat screen television, a nice view of Manhattan, and a nicely appointed bathroom. The bathroom had a shower, but no tub, which was fine for us. It is about a two block (five minute) walk to the subway. There is a brazilian steakhouse in the lower level but we did not eat there. Overall the hotel was very nice and the staff accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Manhattan view. We had a nice large balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you again for staying with us! We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the neighborhood! I'm sure there will be many special occasions in the future so let us know if we can assist you moving forward. Again, thank you for your time and happy traveling.......

Best Regards,
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The Holiday inn Long Island City Manhattan View stands 15 stories, and faces northwest. There is no 13th floor, so the top floor is 16. The best views are in the western corner. These are queen-bed rooms with numbers 901, 1001, 1201, etc. The second-best views are in the north corner - king beds - 902, 1002, 1102, etc. There are suites on the top floor, but I do not know how they are arranged. Other than the suites, only the 01 and 02 rooms have Manhattan views. Only the 01 rooms have southern exposure with good views of mid-town Manhattan: the Empire State, Chrysler and UN buildings, although I think you can see these buildings while standing at the window of the 02 rooms. You really cannot see downtown because of other buildings in Queens.

The kicker is that there is a new skinny 11-story apartment building across the street, northwest of the hotel (it does not yet appear on Google maps). This building obliterates much of the view from all rooms on the 11th floor and below, and compromises 12th-floor views.

We booked a queen-sized view room, but when we arrived, we were told that we had been upgraded to king-sized. We were on the 9th floor, and the view was poor. Since we were staying for a full week, I was able to haggle ourselves the 12th floor queen-bed view room. The view was good, but the machinery atop the skinny building did block a small part of our view.

The view to the northwest is dominated by the Ravenswood Generation Station (locally known as Big Allis). Other than that, the view of Manhattan is excellent.

The northwest windows above the 11th floor slope towards the building, so they are not very clean.

The furnishings in the room do not take advantage of the view. The television is right in the middle of the main window (although this mostly blocks the view of the power station). The curtains cover a lot of window even when fully opened. We tied some curtains back with belts.

The bathroom is beautifully appointed, with a nice shower, but no tub. The space is poorly used, though. Just a small counter and no cabinets.

Another hotel is being built behind this property (southeast side), so that may create noise issues.

Evening fare at the restaurant has been changed recently to include a Brazilian steakhouse feature. For $20 you get a bit of a buffet, and servers come to your table with a variety of excellent barbequed meats - chicken, beef, pork in different configurations. I really enjoyed this. Note that this doesn't count as an entree, so the coupon they give Priority Club members at check-in does not help. Still, it is an excellent deal - especially if you are hungry.

Breakfast is standard Holiday Inn. Convenient, but a bit expensive.

Two blocks southwest is a subway station, and you can get everywhere in New York from there. Get a seven-day pass for $29. Fantastic deal. But the subway is not a convenient way to get to any of the airports. The front desk will call a sedan for you. Flat fare of $40 plus tax plus tip to JFK. There is a taxi lot around the corner which I walked to and hailed a yellow cab. Because it was early on a Sunday, we got to JFK quickly, and saved a couple of bucks over the sedan. I think the sedan is a better call.

Across the street from the hotel is a convenience store. We got a couple of hot sandwiches and a very large beer for $9.50. Across from the subway station is a hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Zante's. You want to eat like a typical New Yorker? Eat at Zante's. Or walk north to 36th Ave to find many local restaurants. (Joe's Pizza is greasy, so avoid it.)

Next-door to the convenience store is a barber shop where you can get a haircut for $10 - but they don't open until after 11:00 am usually. A bit further up 29th St is a laundromat where they will wash and fold your stuff for under a dollar a pound.

I heartily recommend the Holiday inn Long Island City Manhattan View. Its location is good and the price is excellent. But, if you absolutely require a good view, call the manager, Rosario, and explain your situation months in advance. I don't know what good it will do, but try.

Room Tip: Talk to the manager when you are booking to get the best view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ronstew
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time and feedback in your recent review. Thank you for the wonderful detail and pictures of our property to provide travelers. I'm delighted you enjoyed your long stay and the services including the accommodations. Our NY City View rooms are limited indeed. We have many rooms with views which actually extend to the 17th floor.

Thank you for the restaurant feedback and local attractions ideas as well! Since our concept in the restaurant is new, this really helps our viewers. Convenience and value are still our most talked about features.

I hope to have the opportunity to hear from you in the future! Please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Challenge Accepted! We have more than 7 rooms with views not including suites! Light Heartily of course…….

Laval, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2012

PROS
- Great location. The metro is literally seconds away.
- The metro is also 3 stops away from the heart of NY.
- Cheap corner store right in front of hotel.
- Cheap parking, IF you can get one. Paid 20$ a day.
- Great view of the city from higher floors.
- Clean and new feeling everywhere.

CONS
- BRING YOUR OWN PILLOWS! They only have these awkward small square pillows.
- If you don't like firm beds, bring your own mattress pillow. Back felt sore in mornings.
- Food is average at best.
- Pool was 15 x 10 feet.
- Internet was super slow on 15th floor.
- Vending machines. Ice on one floor, snacks on another, drinks another.

Room Tip: As high as you can facing the Financial District.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Travaholick
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review and feedback we really appreciate it. Being a Travraholic, I understand your need for comfort and services! I apologize again and want to alert you that in the future please ask for a bed board as we have them on hand for guest who desire a firmer bed. We also have larger pillows on hand. Our goal is to make everyone feel comfortable in our home!

We look forward to your return and please request these items in the future so we can have them available prior to your arrival.

Travel Safe and Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn L.I. City Manhattan View....

Yours Truly,
Cornwall
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 8 nights from July 31st 2012. We being me, my partner and our 15 year old son. We had decided to get married and chose NYC as the perfect place for a summer wedding. I contacted the hotel a couple of weeks before we arrived to ask if they could place in a high room with a view of the city, something special for our wedding / honeymoon to which the manager replied would be no problem.
When we arrived we were placed on the 4th floor facing away from the city - so much for customer service. We were too tired from travelling to mention it, don't know if we'd have been moved if we had.
The room was clean, as was the bathroom and this was kept immaculate throughout the stay - well done to the cleaning staff. The bathroom was very modern with a large shower. On the downside, there is no safe in the room, any valuables need to be kept behind the reception and you have to sign etc everytime you wanted to access the safe. We found this a little bit frustrating, particularly if the reception staff were serving other guests and we had to wait. We thought all modern hotels would have in-room safes.
The hotel itself is 200 yards from the 39 Av subway station, which takes you to central park, times square, etc within a few minutes. The area isn't great, but we never felt unsafe, even arriving back at the hotel after midnight on a couple of occasions. There is a local shop opposite the hotel, which was great for snacks and drinks and the Zante Deli next to the subway station that serves a great breakfast - we ate here most mornings, highly recommended. Also, the hair / nail place opposite the hotel is recommended by my better half.
We didn't try the hotel bar / restaurant so can't comment. We used the pool once, it was clean as were the changing rooms, but very small pool and only open on certain times during the day.
We found the hotel staff to be friendly and helpful so no problem there, check-in and check-out was painless.
To summise, this is a clean budget hotel, well placed, close to the subway and if we return to New York, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, but used the hotel airport transfer back. They cost ap...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bizzsaltash
Rosario B, General Manager at Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and feedback on a long stay with us! Congratulations are in order! I’m delighted that the staff and service were up to your expectation! Thank you for the recommendations as well! We look for input from our guests to improve services and we will look into in-room safes. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to your anniversary with us! Please contact me directly for your complimentary upgrade upon your next visit with us! We value your business and your status as a “Senior Reviewer”…

Yours Truly,
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Big shout out to Danny Sanchez-Toro and the entire staff at this hotel.Just a wonderful experience and great location for this fine hotel. The location is great located in a residential neighborhood only a 1 and 1/2 block walk to subway train. The views were spectacular from our Staten Island suite on the 16th floor. enjoyed every aspect of this hotel. Only hotel in this area with balconies and best kept secret is the Brazilian Dinner they offer in their dinning room where it is only $20.00 all you can eat and most Brazilian restaurants customarily charge about $50.00 for the same meal.I truly recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jimdallas54
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback! We appreciate your enthusiasm and thank you for being our guest!! Danny and the team will be excited to here from you, I will certainly high-five them! The Restauarnt really adds value as well! We look forward to your next visit with us.....

Warmest Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Long Island City
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York ...
#5 of 32 in Long Island City
Hotel Edison Times Square
#308 of 466 in New York City
Lower East Side
Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Side
Holiday Inn NYC - Lower East Sid...
#215 of 466 in New York City
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhat...
#190 of 466 in New York City

Been to Holiday Inn L.I. City - Manhattan View? Share your experiences!