“Excellent Service and good value for money” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Long Island City
Frankfurt
“Excellent Service and good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

Let me start by stating that if you are looking for a luxury get-away in New York this hotel is not for you. But if you are looking for a clean hotel with good service and easy access to Manhattan then this hotel is worth considering.
I will try and give a pretty accurate overview.
Location:
Positive: 2 blocks (1 minute walk) from 33 St Rawson Street Underground Station. The train took you straight to Times Square in less than 15 minutes. By taxi the same journey would easily take you double the time due to traffic on the Queensborough bridge.
Negative : As the hotel was directly next to the underground line it was very noisy. Our room was on the 4th floor and our window was directly on the same level as the railway line overlooking it. So ear-plugs really were a necessity if you wanted any sleep. But then you are in New York, a city that never sleeps so don't expect peace and quiet.
Hotel Rooms:
Positive : Room itself was clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable and the sheets crisp and clean. Bathroom was totally spotless and towels were clean and were changed daily.
Negative : As many in NY, the room was pretty small. And although otherwise clean, it had not been vacumed before we arrived and had some crumbs and whatever else on the carpet. It was vacumed the day after we arrived but I am pretty sure that was the only time during our 5 night stay. However, I must say, that was the ONLY gripe I had about the cleanliness of the room or indeed the general cleanliness of the hotel, otherwise I found no reason to complain.
Breakfast :
Positive : The complimentary breakfast although basic, in my opinion was adequate. They offered coffee, tea, 2 types of juice (always nice and cold), toast, 2 types of bagels, 2 types of cereals, 3 types of danish pastries, fresh apples, jams, butter, cream cheese, eggs....The breakfast was served between 0630am and 0930am and no matter what time you went there was a member of staff constantly replenishing everything.
Negative : Nothing! For a complimentary service in a small reasonably priced hotel it was above any expectations I may have had.
Service :
The staff were EXTREMELY friendly and helpful. I travel a lot and I was very pleased about the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The front desk staff always greeted us on arrival, asked about our day, arranged taxi's and were always happy to help and answer any questions. On arrival they seemed to be expecting us and without even asking, they handed us a Fed Ex delivery which had been delivered to us earlier that day. There was a feeling of personal service and attention to detail without additional "fuss" or pretending. Just simple, friendly, helpful service.
Negative : Nothing negative can be said about the service.

Once again I would stress that this is a Days Inn in Queens, not a 5 star establishment in Manhattan. But it served us perfectly fine for a 5 night shopping & Theatre trip to New York and was excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 Thank MSSFrankfurt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Slovak first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

Very convenient and close to the subway for getting around. BUT The rooms were very small and dated. You need the wax type not foam earplugs to block out the steet and train noise! Breakfast was OK but teeeny tiny area so had to watch those fortunate enough to have a table and grab table as soon as their bums left the seat. The wireless internet did not work in our room. WORST of all were the sheets with holes, the handsized towel, no bathmat and the thick layer of dust around the room. Also the sheets were only changed once in the week we were there. Pretty slack! I think the housemaids were extremely lazy ...rubbish bins were left unemptied in the room and shampoo and conditioner were not replenished daily even when I politely pointed this out to the concierge it was not done the following day either. We had left tips daily but desisted after that. I think I would prefer to stay elsewhere in future despite the conveninece of this hotels location.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

stayed for two nights and would recomend hotel location very close to city

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank celestinekurt
Borlange, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

Quite small rooms and lots of noice from the street and a bit worn down but great beds. We had a small refrigerator in our room which was great. 5 min walk to the metrostation. It only took about 15 min to Manhattan. Breakfast was a continental breakfast: bagles with cream cheese and jam, oatmeal, juice, tea/coffe, fruit and cereals. It could have been more tables in the breakfast area though. The hotel wasn't any special, it was just a clean room to sleep in, a TV and a bathroom, all you need if your'e out exploring the city of New York all day.
Can recommend Pete's Grill a couple of blocks away, open 24/7.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We went for a long-weekend romantic getaway, and when budget concerns ruled Manhattan out, we stayed here. For our purposes it was more than adequate. The rooms are small, yes, but for a couple the room with king-size bed was a nice snug nest. An in-room refrigerator and coffee-maker made staying in pleasant, while stepping out was a breeze: the whole city is within reach via an easy 2-block walk west to a subway line that connects to Grand Central Station. Two convenience stores and a pizza parlor are around the corner; other quick-bite options are nearby. The hotel is fairly new, and the room furnishings and appointments likewise. A complimentary continental breakfast (coffee, various danishes) is offered. Free in-room wi-fi is available, and for those flying out, free internet access (located in the breakfast nook) makes printing a boarding pass easy. A fitness center is available. The hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms. There is free parking, but there are only 16 spaces, so don't count on it. The hotel is located on the corner of Thomson and Queens Boulevard. An advance-purchase reservation offers very good value. Overall we were quite pleased and would happily return.
But it wasn't perfect. Water pressure in both the faucet and shower was meager; this is likely beyond the hotel's control. Guest service is somewhat spotty: housekeeping twice neglected to replenish our in-room coffee. The hotel has no restaurant on-site. Noise was not a problem for us, but the other side of the hotel does face the elevated train tracks, and some reviews have complained of that. Still, for the value, comfort, and convenience of the location, we can recommend this hotel for others seeking an affordable alternative to Manhattan.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Very small rooms, hardly any room to unpack, VERY LIMITED OR NO PARKING,Trash and big stains all over the corridors, Subway train passes every min right beside your bedroom windows. Wont be able to sleep all night. The hotel manager and the front desk clerk (day time) need to go and take some Customer Service classes. They do not smile or say Thank you. They do not even look at you, when you need their service. They seem too busy arguing with guest at all times.It is a very common trend there. However, the night clerk, "Syed" was very nice and helpful in everyway. Felt bad when I saw some guests are arguing and screeming at him about parking and other unkown issues. The area is shady however very close to the train staion.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank SamDaskundu
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Worst experience of my life
So i will try to make this very long and complicated story as shot as possible. let me start off by saying that i am a flight attendant, and that i spend more time in hotel room beds than i do my own. That being said, this was the first time i have ever encountered a situation like this. on the second night of our 4 night stay, my boyfriend and i discovered bedbugs on the pillow, under the pillows, and when i pulled the sheets of the mattress, we found more bedbugs. now when i checked in i checked the bed for signs of bedbugs and found none, so finding them on the second night was unexpected. we immediately removed our stuff from around the bed, and called the front desk. the attendant said, sorry, i will give you a new room, i even had to ask him to bring us the key, he wanted me to go downstairs to get it. we moved our stuff, temporarily, there's no way we were gonna stay there, after checking the room, and still having bedbugs, who's to say that all the rooms don't have them. I went down stairs to talk to the manager Rahul ...when i told him that i was the one who had the bedbugs in my room, he said, `thanks for telling me.` That's it!!!, i proceeded to tell him that i wanted a refund and that i wasn't going to stay here another night. he told me sory, your room is non refundable. after discussing back and forth for a while in the lobby, he sent me back to my room to call Expedia. he wouldnt even let me use the phone in the lobby to make a call. so after talking to Expedia, they said they would refund me my money but they needed approval from the hotel, so they called the hotel manager, who i had just spoken to, he then denied the refund. i immediately called Days inn customer care and asked them to refund me my money, they were also no help and said that because it`s a franchise location they are not able to make those decisions. Thank you Melanie, from customer care presidential office!!! i went back to the lobby, furious, because he made me go up stairs, waste my time calling Expedia, when he very well knew he was going to deny the refund anyways. at this point my convo with him wasn't as pleasant as before, there was another gentleman in the lobby who over heard , and said he had the same problem, he was in town for a funeral, and only supposed to stay 2 nights, but he couldn't even handle that, after the first night he too wanted a refund,and change of hotels. after the gentleman walks away to call days inn corporate, the manager starts talking about him, in front of me and other hotel room guest, how very professional of him. i wonder what he said about me when i walked away. the manager kept telling me that he cannot give me a refund and that my new room was "good". how would they know, from they time it took the front desk attendant to make a new room key and bring it up stairs there's no way he could have checked the room. he was the only one on shift at the time. then the cleaning lady who "cleaned" the first room we were in, had no idea there were bedbugs. the manager allowed her to go in and clean up with out taking the proper steps to prevent spread of the bugs. and with out taking precautions for her own safety. I, for the third time called days inn customer care, and they again did nothing for me, both the hotel manager and the customer care people did nothing for me, and left me in the lobby of the bedbug infested hotel crying, broke, and homeless.
I want to make it very clear that the Days Inn is a terrible company, and they have no accountability for what their franchise owners do, and that their customer care department (Melanie, from the presidential office) are the most unhelpful customer service agents i have ever encountered. only one of the women i spoke to was understanding of the situation, and truly felt bad for me. but again wasn't able to do anything. And the staff of the days inn, primarily the manager Rahul B... are the most unprofessional, inexperienced and rude staff i have ever had the bad luck of dealing with. I will be filing a lawsuit against the Days inn Long Island city franchise, If anyone out there reading this has had the same experience please email me at ---------@-----, or even if you would like more info about my experience feel free to write me.

• Stayed July 2010