“Good hotel, great location, great price.”

Days Inn Long Island City
Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Sydney, Australia
“Good hotel, great location, great price.”
Reviewed November 23, 2009

*Review submitted by a 34yo Australian male*

If you're coming to New York you'll find staying in Manhattan very expensive. This is my third trip to New York, and I stayed at the Days Inn Long Island City.

It's a budget hotel, probably 2 or 3 stars. In saying that though, it's clean, still very new, nice huge bed, good powerful shower. They supply a pretty basic breakfast, but I never had it, always got something elsewhere. The room is pretty small but hey, who really cares? Not like you'll be living 24/7 in your room when you're in New York!

The location is excellent. Just a 5 minute walk to the number 7 train from 33 St - only 15 minutes in to Times Square. There is also Queens Plaza station also 5 minutes away which services around 4 or 5 different lines.

My room faced directly towards the overhead train line. Sure you hear the trains go past but it's not really noisy. If you're super hyper sensitive then you might find it annoying, but again, hey, it's New York, it's always noisy here!

There is FREE wi-fi too in all rooms.

All in all I definitely recommend this hotel if you're after a good cheaper hotel option in New York.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Slovak first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2009

I agree with most of the reviews on here. The hotel is fairly new and everything was clean. Our room was tiny but comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor facing the college. We did not have an issue with noise during our stay. You do start hearing a bit of traffic in the morning but no noise over night.

As far as the staff, I also agree with previous reviews. I would not go as far as saying they were rude but they were definitely indifferent. No welcome or greeting whatsoever. We made it a point to wish them a good morning and a good evening each day and never got a response. Answering questions appeared to be a chore. The only personable a friendly employee was the guy at breakfast in the morning. He interacted with guests and actually smiled!
As for the breakfast, it was enough for me. I'm not big on breakfast, so a bagel & juice is fine with me. They also had some fresh pastries. On a side note, I was aware that they offered breakfast from the website. Since the guy at check-in did not speak to us at all, he obviously never mentioned it, the times, or the location. Seek and you shall find.

All in all, it was an ok stay. Close to subway lines and very clean. When on a budget, I may consider staying here again.

(I chose that I would recommend to a friend only because they do not offer a "maybe." I would recommend with caveats.)

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed October 22, 2009

We stayed here for the last 3 days of our week in New York last year. We picked Days Inn as it was a lot cheaper than anything on Manhattan island and yet still wasn't too far away.

It is only a couple of minutes walk from the station so was convenient for public transport. The hotel itself was new so everything was clean and shiny.

The staff were bizarrely lacking in any sort of customer service. It was as if our staying there meant nothing to them. However we were in good form and chose to laugh off their rudeness.

We were given a room on the first flooe - facing the breakfast area. In comparison to the room we had just come from in the Murray Hill Inn in Manhattan, this place was luxuirous - lovely bed, nice and clea and it had a fridge.

However, first thing the next morning we were woken up by all the guests having breakfast - it was particularly loud, I woke thinking there were people in the room!

We went down to receoption half asleep and told them we needed another room which we were given on the top floor on the opposite side to the train tracks.

This room was perfectly fine and if I were to stay there again or recommend it to anyone, I would specifically request a top room on the road side as opposed to train track side.

Area was fine, we felt safe walking about. You can see the Empire State building in the distance so you wouldn't even really know you were not on the island itself.

The time we went there, it was at least half the price of an equivalent place on Manhattan island. I do feel things have changed a lot since then..if you can get your room here for significantly cheaper than anything on the island, I would go for it. Be prepared for rude staff and no frills, but the rooms are nice, and relatively cheap.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rachobri
UK
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Hotel was clean, rooms were small but adequate. Most important is the location - its 2 minutes from two subway stations - the E and 7 trains into Central Manhattan. It is located on a very busy intersection with an overhead subway line right outside (less than 30ft). We had room on the opposite side from the subway and weren't overly bothered by the noise but your heart would sink if you didn't know that before you arrived. Check Google street view for the real picture of this hotel. In all we would recommend it for the price and the convenience of the subway but not for those who are fussy on the 'looks' or looking for a quiet spot. Fitness centre = running machine and a bike, breakfast is coffee, toast, pastries and cereals.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This hotel was chosen for its proximity to subways that run to Manhattan. This hotel was also much cheaper than staying in Manhattan and still having a traditional room. It was able to meet this requirement.
This hotel is right next to a busy street and there is a train that goes above it also. We were on the second floor facing the street. This wasn't a problem because the had super insulated windows out. Still if you plan on opening the window much or you are a really light sleeper, beware.
Otherwise this place had limited amenities. Also no place to have them hold luggage before or after you check in/out. Safes are down stairs and not in the room.
I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
BUFFALO
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This hotel was in a safe area near a college, clean, easy to get to the subway. We had a real New York feel with the subway tracks right out side our window.. it was to COOL.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston MA
Reviewed October 4, 2009

Do not stay at this hotel. It is infested with bed bugs. After staying only one night I was covered in bed bug bites all over my body. When I called to report this the manager was apathetic. We stayed in Room 312.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple