WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not a bad hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here for 3 nights on a trip to NYC. It is nothing fancy, but it served its purpose. It's a clean hotel but the rooms are very small. We had a king size bed but there was not much room to walk around at all. The bathroom was clean, but would get extremely hot with the door closed. This hotel has 6 floors with 12 rooms on each floor, with only 1 elevator. During the day during the busiest hours we did a lot of waiting for the elevator, and sometimes it would seem to get confused. We stayed on the 5th floor and we would be on our way down to the lobby and the elevator would stop, then go back up because someone on another floor hit the down button. The elevator moved slow as molasses on top of that. It got to the point where we just started using the stairs. Although this hotel is not in Manhattan, it is two blocks away from the subway station on 33rd St, and it's a quick 10 minute ride, if that, to Times Square. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and happy to answer our questions when we needed something, but the maid service was below average to say the least. All they did was make our bed and hang our old towels back up. They didn't take any trash out of the room at all, and if you're not out of the room by 11 am they don't even come in. This is why I gave the service for this hotel an average rating even though we were very happy with the way we were treated by the people at the front desk. The continental breakfast was awful. All they had were scrambled egg patties, cereal, oatmeal, oranges and apples, and donuts if you got there early enough, no bacon or any other breakfast meats either. Even though they say breakfast is from 6-10, they start putting every thing away at 9:30. If you really want the continental breakfast I would recommend getting there not much later than 9:00. The subway ran right next to the side of the hotel we stayed in, and you can hear the trains flying past all night long. It didn't bother us at all though. We just cranked up the fan on the AC and it drowned out most of the noise from the subway and the street below. If the noise is an issue for you it would probably be a good idea to request a room on the opposite side of the subway. Like I said, this hotel is far from fancy, but it got the job done. It's basically your typical budget hotel. Oh, another word of advice I almost forgot. This hotel only has an 8 car parking lot, (parking is free) so if you do get one of the spaces DO NOT move your car from it for your entire stay or you WILL lose it and have to park down the street or up by the subway station on 33rd St. Take the subway! You can get anywhere you need to go on the NYC subway sustem.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Slovak first
Syracuse
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Glad I read previous reviews, as I did end up with the room in the basement. Luckily I took a chance on the hotel anyway. It turned out to be a good couple of days stay. Pleasant staff, nice touch of refreshments in the lobby on a hot day. Small breakfast area can be solved by taking your food to your room. My main concern in cleanliness and no bugs, and that was met. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

1 Thank Katalin M
Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The receptionist (Mody) of your franchise at long island city (31-36 Queen's blvd, long island city), was just terrible. With very poor listening skills, extremely rudely behaved and just unprofessional.

Couple of examples:

1. The rooms we saw were advertised as one's with Microwave available, but this was not the case, as the Microwave was available only in the common breakfast area.
2. We had booked a double room and we were six people(4 adults and 2 children). Our impression was that we'll have two rooms, to our surprise we found that the rooms had two queen bed. When we checked with the receptionist about our predicament, he not only rubbished our pre-sumptions but also didn't listen to the feedback that we'd had to provide. I understand that our understanding was different from what was offered, and we could have been wrong, however it would have made a difference if the receptionist 'listened' to our thoughts and calmed our anxiety by offering a solution. What he did was totally 'reactionary', 'demonstrate unprofessional attitude and behavior, by constantly interrupting when we were speaking', when we booked a second room, and the confirmation was not received by the franchisee, he not only made me call the toll free number but also took my phone and started speaking with the representative, as a customer what I'd have liked was for him to make a call from his business phone and resolve the delay, this was totally unacceptable'.

3. I had to look for some creamer and was looking into the fridge, he not only shouted at me telling 'hello hello', and motioned with his hands that I should not be taking anything from the fridge, rather than meeting me personally and addressing me with courtesy and letting me know that he could help. This wast so crass, and I almost lost my temper at him, but remained quiet as there were other guests.

4. The rooms were crazily cramped with little or not space to move around the room.

5. The price I paid was $129/night for a king size bed room, and I would have got the same for a better deal at Holiday Inn near the LaGuardia airport.

Overall experience: Will not make the same mistake of booking at your place and nor will suggest another.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

1 Thank Sri S

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The only reasons I can think to stay here is it is much cheaper than staying in Manhattan and it has easy access to the train. Otherwise, the rooms are super small and the doors are extremely loud, so you will find yourself woken by slamming doors. There is free parking but it is VERY limited. Once we got a spot we could not move the car for fear of losing our spot. The breakfast selection is limited and the breakfast room is small. The housekeeping staff was pretty unhelpful. If you are looking for a cheap room and access to the train you can pick this hotel, but don't expect anything beyond that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple