“Awesome staff - great savings”

Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City / Manhattan View
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
Chesapeake, VA
“Awesome staff - great savings”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Very nice hotel in a convenient location to the subway. The staff was awesome in all manners from cleanliness of hotel/room to check in/out procedures. The subway system was undergoing major repairs and the staff helped us find alternate routes into Manhattan. Hotel runs a shuttle van to the 7 train line, but is within easy walking distance. Although on a major street, it was always quiet in our room. Great amenities, great price and FREE (although limited) PARKING!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Ohio
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn in March. We weren't sure what to expect, as we had been to Manhattan several times but never to Queens. We were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is obviously new, and is very clean. Our room, on the 5th floor, had a view of the Empire State Building (if you turned your head a bit!). The room was decently sized, especially for NY, and the bathroom was very clean and quite roomy. The continental breakfast didn't change much, but it was good and filling. The free shuttle to and from LaGuardia was a definite plus.

There is no room service, but the staff will provide you with local menus that offer delivery; there were three that we tried, and all three were very good. The staff was friendly, if occasionally a bit brusque.

The train ride is quite short; it only took us about 15 minutes to get into Grand Central, and that was on a busy day. However, the train was re-routed during part of our stay, so we had to go farther into Queens before catching another train back to Manhattan.

The one negative to this hotel is that it is quite a trek from the subway, which isn't a problem during the spring or fall, but could get too hot/cold in the summer or winter. I wasn't terribly uncomfortable in the area on the nights we walked back, but I wouldn't want to go it alone. However, if you call ahead, the shuttle will come pick you up at the station if necessary.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester
Reviewed September 26, 2009

When we looked at hotels in NYC this hotel was by far best value for money. The actual hotel is very nice, modern, and I found it to be very clean. Breakfast did the job.

Only downsides, we landed at JFK, so had to make our own way to the hotel. Ended up going via manhattan, then to Queens. Luckily I had a map so could walk from the subway as we had no idea how to get shuttle bus to come and pick us up.

Shuttle bus was only useful for getting to the subway, afterwards we found it easier just to walk back.

The areas not ideal, but is very industrial so is ok to walk through.

Wouldn't recommend it for families or those with walking difficulties as my boyfriend and I ended up walking a LOT. Also, if you want to go into Manhattan at night probably best not to stay here as can't imagine the areas great at night. Luckily I am under 21 so me and my boyfriend just stayed in the hotel at night.

Good little Irish Bar just round the corner that we went to one night,was friendly and nice food.

Still had an amazing time in NYC, and this hotel meant we got to escape the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, and for the price we paid, which was equivalent to a Manhattan Hostel, we thought it was great.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Northeast
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Not surprised to already see a review mentioning bedbugs. We didn't SEE them since we didn't really look...but we left with multiple bites. I understand lots of hotels in the NYC area are infested. If you go, check the beds carefully. Best thing to do though is to find another hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank birdwatcherplus
Chicago
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Would have never suspected since it is a relatively new hotel... However, after lifting the mattress I found a couple of buggers crawling around. Didn't get bit but had to sleep over the sheets, with lights on and covered with DEET.

Staff is very inattentive and the rooms are not very clean. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere and the shuttle service is infrequent to the point of being useless. There is nothing to eat around the hotel and the rooms don't have a fridge so you cannot stock up on supplies.

Overall very bad experience. Developer probably underestimated the importance of location and now they are letting fall the place into disarray (in terms of service, cleanliness). Would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank Tim023
ILM
Reviewed September 8, 2009

When I first arrived at the airport (LGA) I called the hotel and they said they would pick me up. I asked where should I stand and they said to go out to the island. I stayed there for over an hour and then I called them saying I am still waiting for the shuttle bus. They said it was on the way and that they would have the driver call me once we hung up. So I waited another 30 minutes without a call back, so I got a taxi. I was on the way to the hotel in the taxi when the driver finally called. I just shut my phone off. I arrived at the hotel within 20 minutes of getting into the taxi. So I wonder what took the shuttle bus so long. The area the hotel is in is very questionable. There are a lot of auto shops around but nothing else. There is no place to eat or walk to. The moment I got in my room the fire alarm started going off. No one was rushing out of the hotel. This is suppose to be a smoke free hotel and it ended up someone on the 7th floor decided he/she wanted to smoke so the alarms have been going off for 2 and half hours now.

I haven't eaten lunch and now I won't be able to eat dinner since there is nothing around here and there are few and far drivers that come by this area. I can't blame them, I won't want to drive around here. I didn't want to stay here in the first place but the hotel was about the only thing that was within the budget that my company would approve. The hotels over on Manhattan were $300 per night the week of Sept 11 2009 so this was the closest hotel that we could find within our company's budget. I will be writing my company that this place was not acceptable for me and my collogue. I am very disappointed with this hotel and Marriott. Usually Marriott has better standard this this. This is a real shame.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank clancycook25
birmingham uk
Reviewed August 24, 2009

we stayed here early march, the hotel was clean and welcoming. The hotel offered a shuttle service that would pick you up and take you to the subway station, a few times we had to call the hotel to pick us up and they did at no bother (remember to tip)!!

the staff at this hotel were friendly and answered all of our silly america questions with no bother, we especially loved the guy who does breakfast think his name is david?? we called him bass because he was the ''ambassador of breakfast'', that bloke will never know how much we loved watching him run round laying out eggs etc!!

the night staff were really friendly and welcoming, they were happy to sit up talking to us after we got back from drinking, klein was a star, very professional and deserves promotion!!!

the bar up the road ''bantry bay'' was also an advantage point, the locals that drink in there were really friendly and made us feel at home.

this hotel was ace, the rooms were nice the lobby was nice, the view was amazing, the area looks a bit scary but we walked around it at night with no problems, the breakfast set us up for the day and was presented well. cant wait to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends