“Three Strikes. You're Out.”

Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City / Manhattan View
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is my third visit to this property. As a Marriott platinum elite member, I know what this property should be like. It is NOT. Very limited parking for cars and if you have a bus forget about this hotel. Parking is three blocks away and not very secure (when I asked the hotel employee how secure it was, he laughed). This hotel has no in room WiFi. I was informed I could use the data cable haphazardly flung around the lamp. Sure...where does that go on my iPad again? The area around this hotel...sucks. Heavy industrial (think semi traffic starting at 4 am). No food in the area except a small little breakfast doughnut shop. My first stay here the front desk personnel were the worst I've ever had. The second year they were stellar, but they have both since moved up and away. This year when I told the man that I have always parked my motor-coach by using the hotel vans to hold my space. The guy told me "well that was the past two years, not now" I called down to the desk to ask if my premium Internet (for my laptop using a wired connection) was complimentary as a platinum elite member (keep in mind this service is $28 a week) and was informed that the standard Internet was free and had the same download speeds as the paid, sounds like a scam to me. I personally occupied room 911, a handicap room. Sub-par. The handicap shower had no lip on the floor and flooded the entire floor, the vent on the ceiling fell down, and the Internet and phone lines are just haphazardly wired together next to the bed . after one night , I was switched to room 203 MUCH better and picks up the lobby WiFi (however only one bar) , but when I arrived into my new room after they moved my luggage for me, I found my room empty. It was in room 805!!! Luckily the people occupying that room were part of my group so nothing was wrong with my luggage. In short, I, my company, or the 45+ people we bring with us a year will NEVER stay here again. Two bad experiences is enough for this traveler.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at this Fairfield for 1 night with some friends and, as always, I had another great night at a Fairfield Inn. :D The bed was comfy, they did make arrangements for my friends to all be on the same floor within a few rooms from each other, & great food in the morning. The shuttle was of great help and they went above & beyond with helping us. It is nearby a train station- the shuttle will get you there. The area surrounding the hotel is quiet- they are actually located next to some entertainment production studios. And they are near the highway as well. I would stay here again! :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GothicblueCJ
Reviewed October 28, 2012

the room was nice and clean with e wonderful view on Manhattan. the staff was nice and helpful.
but the breakfast was very poor and always the same.
there is absolutely nothing to do around the hotel
fortunately they take you to the subway and it's free

Room Tip: ask a room viewing manhattan
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This was the 2nd time we stayed here & we were quite happy with the hospitality and the reasonable rates. This was the first time we drove to this area instead of flying, as we knew they had a small parking lot and the area around the hotel had parking. The desk attendant informed us when we got there that they had a small underground lot as well, and to just call when we were getting close, and they would let us know if there was a spot available. The first night we stayed, there was a spot there, so they opened the door for us and we parked in the very small lot (only about 7 spaces). When we left in the morning, an attendant must have seen that we took the elevator down, and followed us there & informed us how to get out. The other 2 nights we were there, we used on the street parking and had no problem. The room was a typical Fairfield Inn room. It was very clean, the bed was comfortable, the shower was great....the walls were a bit thin, but luckily I wear earplugs and the people next door settled down after a short time. Lots of pillows to choose from, as well. The breakfast buffet was adequate, kept clean and well supplied. There is a shuttle service to the train that becomes the subway into Manhattan. The shuttle driver stops into the breakfast room to let you know when the shuttle is leaving, too! We didn't use the shuttle, as we were visiting our daughter in nearby Greenpoint, Brooklyn. That's correct. North Brooklyn is about 3 minutes away from Long Island City, Queens. We have walked to our daughter's from this hotel previously, which is totally possible, and there is bus service not too far away. We had a nice view of the city from our window, too!

Room Tip: Higher floors facing west have a terrific city view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Gallagherbeth
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My friend I stayed there for about a week and it worked great. The location was not ideal to if you are wanting to explore NYC and want a place that you can easily get to so that you can drop off your things from the day or to change to go out for the night, but the staff made the experience great! We had flown in on a red eye flight and thought we would be ok to just drop off our bags and hit the city, but when we landed we were more tired then we expected to be, so when we arrived to the hotel and the front desk informed us that check is was much later, they were kind enough to do a early check in. They were so understanding and didn't charge us for it. (btw, let me mention we hadn't even asked for early check in, they are the ones that mentioned it to us). They continued to be helpful through out our whole trip, with tips of places to go and things to do and not to do. The breakfast there was great as well, it was a nice way to start the day. I would stay there again just because of the staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank k H
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel itself is spotless and well maintained. The room are slightly larger than the average NYC room. Very clean and new. The staff couldn't have been nicer. There is a business center with computer and printer in the lobby. The breakfast was great. It consisted of make your own waffles, eggs, sausage, breads, fruit cups, yogurt, muffins, oatmeal with fixings, coffee, juice, tea, hot chocolate. There was plenty of seating and there was an outside deck as well for the overflow crowd. The breakfast space was NOT claustrophobic like Manhatten hotels. Breakfast items were replenished promptly.

Obviously the hotel is less money due to the location in an industrial neighborhood consisting of warehouses and body shops.
The shuttle they offered was horrible. We called when we arrived by subway for them to pick us up. After a half hour they never showed so we called again. They said the driver was running late due to rainy weather and traffic. We didn't see that much traffic at 11am. So we just walked.
I counted 7 blocks from the subway station to the hotel. Here is how you walk to the hotel from the subway station. When you get off of the #7 train at the "33rd/ Rawson St. station" you go down the stairs to the street and wind up in an island in the middle of the street. Cross the street to where the EMPIRE chinese restaurant is located. When you are in front of the EMPIRE chineese restaurant look up at the elevated subway vaiduct. You'll notice at this station it changes from concrete to steel. Follow it in the direction the steel runs about 2 blocks and you will run into Van Dam Street. Make a left on Van Dam Street and continue for about 5 more clocks. When you go under an overpass the Fairfield will be on your right hand side. Its a 22 story building. There are 10 parking spaces out front. Also there is free off street parking out back as well. So if you have a car this is the place to stay so you don't have to pay $80 a day in manhatten.

The guests were mostly French-Canadian. Many came in tourist groups.
We took the shuttle that leaves on the hour and 1/2 hour once back to the subway station but did not want to wait again at night so we walked back again to the hotel in the dark.
Just a word of caution. When RETURNING TO THE HOTEL make sure you grab the (7) train with the circle, which is the local train that makes all stops, including 33rd St. Don't grab the <7> diamond because this is an express train that bypasses this station. You can take the manhatten bound train to times square, grand central and bryant park (which has ice skating in the winter). But don't shy away from taking the FLUSHING/MAINSTREET bound train one day to "flushing/main street" (the last stop in the other direction) It a great place to grab some oriental food at reasonable prices, shop and see a mish mash of people, stores and everything!
A WORD OF CAUTION. The city is working on the 7 line and there have been service interuptions on the weekends. If there are you can walk to the "QUEENS PLAZA" underground subway station from the 33rd St station. (10 minutes) Just make sure you are on the side of the street OPPOSITE to the empire chinese restaurant first, then follow the STEEL elevated subways vaiduct for about 4 blocks. You will be walking along side a blocked off expressway uphill. You pass over a small bridge and then go downhill. On you way down you will run into the street stairs to the underground QUEENS PLAZA subways station. (not to be confused with the elevated queensboro plaza station) From there you can get the E train into manhatten.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: See if you can get a high floor or a city view. Check out the roof top deck.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank pedromichael
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed 3 nights visiting our son. Room was very clean, bathroom super clean and nice size. Parked our Lexus 400h on the street all 3 nights and no problem whatsoever. Employees were great, friendly, helpful. Breakfasts were very good, always fully stocked. We always had room to sit while we were eating. Shuttle ran all the time until 11:00 PM and we were able to get anywhere via subway. We even got back from the subway around 12:45 one night and walked back to the hotel. It was a jaunt but we never thought "we shouldn't be walking". Always felt safe. It is in an industrial neighbourhood but we didn't mind. The drapes are a little short so it doesn't block out all the light but I wear a sleep mask so it was more of a problem for hubby than me. We were in room 310 and it was a little noisy but only because there is a distribution center right across the street and they start early during the week. We never heard people in the hall or anything. Our first trip to NY, we will definitely stay here next time we come.

• Stayed: September 2012