“Excellent Service in High-rise Fairfield Inn”

Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Huntington Beach, CA
“Excellent Service in High-rise Fairfield Inn”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

June 22, 2011 – Traveling for business, I had the opportunity to spend one night at the Fairfield Inn in Long Island City, New York. The hotel is located a couple of block south of 495, the Long Island Expressway/Queens Midtown Expressway on Van Dam Street. The official name of the hotel includes “Manhattan View” and from rooms X2-11 on higher floors there is a good view of the skyscrapers a couple of miles away on Manhattan Island.

Check in was fast, even by Marriott standards. Giving my name I was handed my room key and asked if I needed any assistance, which I did not. The whole process took about 30 seconds – great!

My room was 714 which faced Van Dam Street. This was my second stay at this hotel and this room was considerably smaller than the room I previously stayed in. Since I was the only one in the room and was only there for about 10 hours, the size did not matter. For two in the room, it would have been somewhat crowded, especially the bathroom. Rooms X (X for floor number) 14 and X15 are, I think, the smallest rooms in the hotel. I had previously stayed in 910 and it was larger with a much larger bathroom. Rooms X14 and X15 are also probably subject to the most noise from Van Dam Street while rooms X6 to X11 are probably the quietest. An ice machine is located next to room X11 and X12.

The décor of my room was contemporary and everything was very functional and comfortable. The room was perfectly clean when I arrived and everything was in good working order. The windows in the sleeping area and bathroom both opened which I appreciated.

The room had a small desk with good lighting and a comfortable office-style chair. There was a single outlet below the desk. I connected to the internet via the hotel’s network using the free plan which was 384Kbs. The connection worked well, but was very slow. I ran the Speakeasy internet speed test and both download and upload speeds were about 40Kbs – s l o w. The hotel offered a faster connection for $12.95 per day, but I did not try that.

The room had a flat screen high definition TV mounted above the desk and I was pleased that high definition programming was available. There was also a small coffee maker on the desk making working space somewhat limited.

The bed was firm and very comfortable. Nightstands on both sides of the bed had lamps, but I had to move the night stands out from the wall to access the electrical outlets. Pillows and linens were all good quality. I slept well.

I did not hear any other guests, even though I think all rooms around mine were occupied. I did notice street noise, but it died off after 10:00 PM. It was not a problem for me, even with the window open.

I had breakfast in the bright and comfortable breakfast room. The selection was limited, but fully satisfactory for me. There were hard boiled eggs, make-your-own waffles, fruit, a good selection of bagels and breads, oatmeal, breakfast bars and the coffee was good.

The hotel has an exercise room, but I did not check it out. There is limited parking underneath the hotel and I was happy that there was a single space left when we arrived at 9:00 PM. There were also cars parked around the hotel, some actually on the sidewalk, but that seemed to be normal for the area.

Both stays at this hotel we had dinner at Bantry Bay Pub, less than a five-minute walk away. The place does not look like much from the outside, but the menu has a good selection and food is really very good! I would eat here often if I lived in the area.

Service at the hotel was excellent. Everyone that I came in contact with was friendly and helpful. I can recommend the hotel highly for anyone needing or wanting reasonably priced accommodations very close to Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank LakersFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This is a super good hotel with good service and mordern room and good location.
I bought more rooms, so i want to re sell it with total USD245 (INCLUDE TAX)
check in July 3, check out July 6
Pls contact 438-862-2048 (montreal) or Junkie2mtl@yahoo.ca

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed June 15, 2011

If you come to this hotel for holiday - this may be right for you. Prices seemed affordable, but it comes at a price. I can NOT recommend this hotel for business trips.

- It is impossible to get to/from if you work in Manhattan:

The hotel is quite a way from the nearest subway station, and unfortunately it seems to be located in the middle of an industrial estate, so you don't want to walk. The hotel offers a shuttle service to/from the subway station which is supposed to be going every 30 minutes, but rarely left on time (not good if you have business appointments).
The hotel offers to call you a taxi, but the service they use takes $50 for a trip to Manhattan (this includes toll and 10% (!) credit card charge) while city cans charge roundabout $20 (including credit card charge).
It is also very hard to convince and cab driver to go through the traffic and take you from/to Manhattan. You are stuck.

- The service was actually bad:

The in-room brochure listed a number of services that the reception desk had no idea about, for instance it said that reception desk had postage stamps for your mail (it didn't, and reception staff had no idea what I was talking about until I showed them the brochure, which they took and never returned to my room.)

Upon checking out, the reception desk staff said that it was impossible to put my employer's address on the bill/receipt. Unfortunately, German companies need their address on the bill or they won't get the tax back by the German state. It has never been a problem in ANY hotel I've ever stayed at. In the end the put the address on there, but not without a pointless discussion.

The so-called high-speed internet was incredibly slow. Wifi was only available in the lobby, not in the actual guest room, so I could not use my work smartphone in my room.
I appreciate that it was free, but it was barely usable and should not have been advertised as "high-speed".

- Breakfast menu was a joke:

Plates were styrofoam and cutlery was plastic.

The breakfast menu consisted of what looked like a supermarket shelf, and two microwaves. It included microwavable burgers and microwavable scrambled egg (?) and Kellogg's cereal (no muesli). The healthiest cereal I found was Raisin Bran, which is 30% pure sugar (12g out of 43g). In short, my daily breakfast consisted of a banana (bananas and apples were available).

- This hotel is not "green":

The barely touched soap bar was thrown away every single day and replaced by a brand new one.

I thought it was pretty much standard nowadays for hotels to follow the policy: "if you wish your towel to be washed, please leave it on the floor", but not in this hotel. Every single towel was washed every single day.

No recycle bins were available in the rooms OR in public areas.

Again: breakfast was served (well, self-served) on styrofoam plates and with plastic cutlery.

- What went well:

The room was always clean and tidy, and after I left a note in the bathroom to please not remove the soap bars, the cleaning staff did that, so that worked.
Some (I would estimate about 50%) of the reception staff were actually friendly.

I consider myself an easy to please person (I rarely find anything to critisize in hotels at all) so this is a first for me. When I saw this was a Marriot I assumed that it was going to go okay, only to be thoroughly disappointed. I will stay away from this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank mkalfa
Westlake, Ohio
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Our family spent three nights at Fairfield Inn while we visited NYC. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel shuttle ran every half hour as advertised (even making additional runs if there were more people waiting than could fit on the shuttle). The room was bigger than I expected (though we were in a handicap accessible room - so that might have made a difference). Clean room with nice flat screen tv. The free breakfast had very good variety. Overall, the hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rakarp
Glastonbury, CT
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Most reviewers here were spot on. This is a great hotel with a friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms, and ideal location to New York City. Yes there really isn't on-site parking, but there is ample street parking alongside the hotel. We stayed in Room 707 and at night you have a perfect view of the NY skyline including The Empire State Building. We only stayed one evening, but we will be returning to this hotel soon.

Room Tip: We used Priceline and recieved $50 off
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CraignKim
Boston
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I've become a fan of Long Island City as hotel headquarters for a New York trip. The subway is only 15 minutes away from Times Square and Penn Station. Hotel prices are remarkably less than Manhattan and the Fairfield Inn offers a room that rivals Manhattan name brand hotels for comfort and furnishings. Two big pluses: free breakfast and free internet.

You have to get past the first impressions. It's an industrial-style neighborhood with a highway interchange, auto repair shops, and not much else. But it does not appear to be dangerous and I had no qualms about walking around late at night. The fast subway to Manhattan is somewhat offset by the fairly long trip to the station. The hotel offers free shuttle service every half hour until 11 PM. Otherwise it's about a 6 block walk - and make sure you have studied a map ahead of time.

Once you're there, you're enjoying a near-luxury hotel experience. The Fairfield is modern and clean. Front desk service was friendly and helpful. My stay here was short but my experience was just about perfect. Elevators were fast. The hallways and rooms were quiet and the bed was exceedingly comfortable. The flat screen TV offered free HBO and several HD channels. The free breakfast area featured a large selection of food and free wifi. Rooms had free wired internet but no wifi.

If you want a very nice hotel that saves you $100 a night or more over Manhattan prices, if you don't mind a quick 30 minute trip to get there, and if you can overlook the unglamorous neighborhood, I strongly recommend the Fairfield by Marriott for a New York trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MarkLBoston
Madison
Reviewed May 26, 2011

The good things - staff was friendly enough; overall the hotel was clean however the cleaning staff did minimal cleaning in the room, straightened sheets and left new towels (although never enough); The location is adequate, but take note it is a 40 minute ride from the time you leave the hotel on the shuttle until you reach Times Square. Not a bad trip, tho.
The bad things - the internet was down for three days; no cold drinks in the snack purchase area for three days which was a bummer because there was no place close to walk to for water or sodas; Shuttle stops running at 11 pm in the 'city that never sleeps'....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends