WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Ravel Hotel

Ravel Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
New Jersey
“Perfect Location for Silvercup Studios”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed here one night because it was very close to where I was working the next day, Silvercup Studios. I got a great deal on line and when I got to the hotel I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby is small but very funky and nice. The guy at the front desk was very friendly and upgraded my room at no extra charge. I forgot my toothpaste and he was happy to give me a few packets. My room was spacious, with two big beds and a large bathroom with a shower and a tub. I was on the first floor (107) and that was fine with me, as my car was right outside in one of the parking spaces provided by the hotel. Parking spots are first come, first serve, so I lucked out. (It looked like there was some construction going on in the parking lot.) I also didn't want a room too close to the rooftop bar, in case it was noisy. Turns out it was a relatively quiet night, regardless, and the view from the rooftop bar was pretty awesome.

One thing to note: the neighborhood is very industrial and I would not recommend walking around alone at night. Like I said, it was the perfect location and price, since I was heading over to Silvercup Studios in the morning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

The hotel itself is pretty easy to find on foot, and only a 10min walk from either 23rd and Court or Queensboro Plaza. We always head to our hotel via the AirTrain so being just near the E line was handy.

The hotel entrance is via the car park which threw me slightly as we headed to the front of the building for access unsuccessfully.

Checkin was quick and easy and we had been allocated a room on the second floor, overlooking the car park, as it was a low room and the blinds needed to be kept closed at all times to ensure privacy as anyone walking or driving upto the hotel could see straight into our room. We had asked for a high floor with a manhattan view which obviously we didn't get, but were just pleased the room wasn't on the ground floor with barred windows.

The decor was ok, it is styled after a boutique hotel but unfortunately has been done with a small cost envelope and this shows, with worn vinyl floors (wood effect) and poor fixtures and fittings. There is a mini bar and other items in the room, all chargeable, no complementary tea/coffee. The biggest issue we had was the storage, there was a single small closet, but no drawers at all other than a 3cm deep drawer on the unit under the TV, which was suitable for papers only, leaving only a single shelf at the top of the closet some 6ft off the ground and not exactly easily accessible for clothes storage. In addition, even in NYC we are very used to having a separate desk area with a chair, as a work area and have experienced this in every hotel we have stayed at in both Manhattan and Queens over the past 6years at over 10 hotels, the Ravel hotel does not have this, but does have a lone chair in the corner of the room(?!)

Housekeeping was fine and the room serviced no problem at all.

Reception staff are friendly and welcoming and happy to help when needed and the shuttle can be used to and from local subway stations as needed. We only used this when it rained though as it wasn't a bad walk, although the neighbourhood is typical Queens industrial but safe enough.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone visiting for a first time as it could be a misleading initiation to NYC, as it is in what could be seen on the surface as run down and intimidating area.

We didn't experience any noise issues but were not at the hotel over a weekend.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor, with a Manhattan view (staying for a week) and got neither, by all means...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Island City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Chose this Hotel To surprise my Husband as part of a little surprise for his Birthday.
We loved the room . Was very stylish and accommodating! Breakfast was not included. The rooms service attendant was very attentive and helpful.

Thanks for a great short stay! .
Will definitively stay here again!!!!

Stayed in R207 on 11/19/13 .

Room Tip: Choose a room with a CITY VIEW.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

The hotel was fab. The room was amazing, especially that we could see the empire state and chrysler building from the balcony. The room was very modern, with huge beds. The sliding doors on the ensuite were funky and reminiscent of a traditional Japanese ryokan (which i loved, envoking memories of my travels in Japan last year). The rooftop bar was really good, great food and gorgeous cocktails. I have to say a big thank you to George on reception as he really made our day with such a lovely welcome, after a difficult and long day travelling on the way over. Nothing was too much for George, very friendly and welcoming despite being on the evening shift :) The breakfast was very good with lots of choice. Although you are in danger of spending a lot of time just soaking in the view and enjoying a meal - which is fine if you have the time and are not trying to cram everything into a 5 day break ;)
Yes the nightclub was noisy on the Friday and Saturday night. The music could be heard from our room, which was on the second floor. I was still able to sleep (It may have been a different story if on a floor closer to the nightclub), but was woken by a drunken row between a girlfriend and boyfriend early hours of Sunday morning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here when me and my wife went to NYC this spring since it was a better bang for our buck. We wanted a place that's modern and luxurious and that's what we got. We had a hotel shuttle to take us to the subway and then it was only a 5 minute ride to downtown Manhattan. The restaurant and club upstairs was really fun! You can't beat the skyline view from the top while having a few drinks! We also had the same view from our room below. I would recommend this hotel for young couples that want a great place to stay while enjoying the city.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gardengnome2012
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We founded your hotel quiet noisy during the night due to traffic on the bridge. We hope that your new part will be much better isolated. Especially the sliding doors are poor isolated. Futher on was the breakfast poor in choice : limited sorts of bread, no meat nor cheese. Although modern of infrastructure, the rooms seems to be very used (scratched everywhere on the furniture, the walls and the floor.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Quincy, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My first stay at this hotel and probably my last. Was in NYC for business but did not want to pay the NYC prices (which I should have). I took a cab from JFK to the hotel which was easily accessible. Lobby was nice, staff was reasonably friendly. The room however left a bit to be desired. To room was loud due to the Queensboro bridge traffic and poorly sealing sliding glass door as well as noisy neighbors. Finishes were sub par...looks like it was remodeled on the cheap. The toilet ran on it's own every few minutes and the shower took forever for hot water. I also wanted to watch the baseball game, but the TV did not get half of the channels. I called the front desk and they said all of the TV's were having the same issue. At breakfast I asked my colleague, and he said he was able to get the game. I was not impressed, or even satisfied by this hotel. If your searching....keep looking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business