All reviewsrooftop restaurantshuttle servicequeensboro bridgenew yorkeast riverfree shuttlemanhattan skylinesubway stationcentral parkbalconycitynyccabvernonlicbrooklyn
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ravel Hotel in mid-October 2012. The pictures online looked nice, the reviews were decent, so we figured we would give it a shot. Turned out to be a huge mistake. Before we even booked the room I called the hotel to see if our credit card would be charged when we got there or as soon as we booked (I was booking the room online). The associate on the phone told me we would be charged upon check-in, and nothing else was said. To our surpise there was a security deposit of over $100 that we found out about as we were checking in. You'd think there would be something mentioned about that either over the phone or on their site. When we got our room key and entered the lobby I was surprised at how nice it was. It was very well decorated and luxurious...Too bad the luxury ended there. As soon as you round the corner it starts to resemble a cheap motel. The halls are small, dirty walls and carpet, ect. I didn't pay much attention to it as we started to head to our room. Once inside our room I look around to make sure everything is clean, and (as with every hotel i stay at) I check to make sure the sheets on the bed are clean as well. As I'm checking the bed I notice a brown stain on one of the pillows. I pick it up, happen to smell it, and the stain turns out to be feces. There was Human [--] in our bed! Being the clean freak that i am I start to freak out and am ready to leave. My boyfriend talked me out of it so we go downstairs to the front desk. I told them what happened and they gave me another room key. Go up to the next room and it smelled like someone used the corner as a bathroom. We get 2 more keys from the front desk and try a different room once more. FINALLY we find one that was sutiable. When we got back to the room that night the outlets and 2 of the lamps did not work. I wouldn't really complain about something so minor usually, but for a room that cost over $500, things were getting a bit ridiculous. We stayed 2 nights at this place and on the morning we left I found out that "housekeeping" was not giving us clean towels but picking the dirty ones off the floor, re-folding them, and putting them back on the rack to be used again. How do I know this? My lipstick from the day before was on a "clean" towel I grabbed from the shelf. Even the view (which is the top selling point of the hotel) was ruined by two huge smoke stacks blocking most of Manhattan... AND to top this lovely trip to New York off, the overpriced snacks in the vending machine were expired. By Overpriced I mean 6 bucks for a 6 oz can of soda and a coffe cake. When we got home I called the management team at Ravel to complain about our experience and they offered a refund. I was very happy with this until I found out a refund for a room that cost over $500 came out to be $60. Don't stay at this hotel unless you like sleeping in [--] and being ripped off.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kim L
RavelGM, Manager at Ravel Hotel Trademark Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you for your review and we appreciate your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. Deposits are normally taken by every hotel whether they inform you or not. All credit cards must be authorized for validation. Also, our deposit information is posted on all websites and on all confirmation pages. Here at Ravel Hotel, we like our guest to be informed of all policies, which is why our front desk agents inform all arriving guests of our security deposit and house rules before authorizing any cards. We like to allow our guests to have the luxury of not having to pull out their wallets for any form of payment. When staying with us you can charge everything to your room, things such as breakfast, dinner, room service, in-room movies, a night at the lounge, private shuttle service and other cost amenities offered. This is the reason why deposits are taken. We also allow you the choice of not leaving a deposit. This however, makes the Check-in process longer due to the removal of the Mini-bar and all purchasable items. This also restricts you from making any charges onto your room. Our Hotel is small we cannot deny it. We are a luxury boutique hotel. No worries, we are expanding with additional rooms, a pool, and an additional rooftop! We stress all our guests to please identify the situations at hand immediately so it may be corrected then and there. You seem to have several cleanliness complaints but still decided to stay your entire time at the hotel and did not seem to alert management. Our housekeepers are supervised on a daily basis and our vending machine soft drinks are currently/have always been $2.50 not $6. They are inspected weekly. Please contact us to further discuss and to allow us to rectify this situation. We look forward to making this right for your partner and you.

Ravel Hotel
Management

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Me and my sister stayed at the Ravel for a week this December. The staff are reasonably friendly, offered advice on how to find places etc. The best part of the hotel is the penthouse rooftop bar. The food is amazing (although quite pricey), the drinks are fanastic (not being a big drinker myself but i enjoyed a few cocktails!!), the view is amazing at night, you can see the city from the rooftop all lit up and queensboro bridge. I was surprised how I didn't hear any loud music from the rooftop at night (and I was on the 4th floor!) The only noise I did hear was from outside the hotel when there was building works going on (the builders start at 7am so not good if you want a lay in)

The only let down about the hotel was its location. Every time we needed a taxi from the city back to the hotel (espcially at night) no taxi driver would take us, and the ones that would could not find the hotel. The hotel does have a shuttle service which we used in the morning to the local subway station. But as I have mentioned, walking back at night (especially in an area we didn't know) felt unsafe.

The room was cleaned everyday, with fresh water and toileties put in the room. The room had a very comfortable double bed, massive double shower (which was lovely) and a TV with basic channels. The hotel had good room service too.

The only let down was the location (for travelling) but the views were amazing. I'd recommended staying at this hotel, but if you do go into the city at night, I'd advise hiring a private taxi from the hotel (only costs $25)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2012

loud music, noisy hallways, doors slamming, terrible service, bad location... but a good view.
the place reminded me of a bar with bouncers as front of house staff.

i asked them for one thing on my executive room reso and that was to not be on the first floor and they put me on the first floor. when i went and checked it out and saw the security bars like a cage outside my window starring at a rotten building across the street with cars racing by, i went and asked nicely, hi there, is it possible to change the room? i'll take anything else.

they were looking at me as if i was inconveniencing them. they said, no, sorry, theres nothing, mabey you can check tomorrow. as if i want to keep all my stuff in my suitcase and then come back and check. why cant you just give me a yes or no answer. im sure you can see on your computer ahead of time. anyways, i said thanks and got on with my trip.

they also mentioned that the bar and restaurant are closed for a private function all night and most of tomorrow. pretty much useless. the one time i did go up, i grabbed a drink and went outside. the bouncer came up to me and said i had to check my coat. lol, now, dont forget, im outside in the windy 3 degrees with a drink and he wants me to check my suit jacket. i handed him the drink and said have fun and left. what a joke these guys were running.

i was overdressed! for a new york hotel. cuz it was a dump.

good luck Ravel Hotel staff. continue your snobby attitude. you have been exposed once again...

Room Tip: they dont listen anyways. you can ask for whatever but they dont care
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank samncompany
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here from Dec 29 2011 till Jan 2 2012. The price of the room was $189 per night us. The
rooms were loft style and had a modern feel to them. The close proximity to the sub way may heading in to the city a breeze. They also have a limo service that will take you any where in Midtown for 25$. We took advantage of this our first night when we went out for dinner at Sparks Steak house. The service was out standing at this hotel the front desk staff would go out of their way to help you. The hotel has a restaurant on the top floor which serves a buffet breakfast. the view here is out standing. The hotel has a shuttle service to and from the sub way station take advantage of this. I would stay here again no question. This hotel is a close to Manhattan you will get with out paying the high prices.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have just had a 4 night stay at this hotel and found it to be ideal for a our trip. The room was spotless and the toiletries and towels were replenished every day. The shuttle to the station was very handy and we did walk back from the station one day. It took about 15 minutes. The staff were very helpful but we found the rooftop bar a bit pricey (9 dollars for a bottle of water) also the service charge inflated the costs to a very unrealistic amount - so beware. We had the continental breakfast one day which was reasonable and cost 7 dollars and you could have a cooked breakfast for $12. I would guess that some of the rooms need refurbishing from reading previous reviews but our rooms were ok. The view of the Queensboro Bridge at night is nice but the view of Manahttan is slightly marred by the two chimneys. Overall though a good place to stay and for what we paid it was well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bridge when booking
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends