“its was more like going to a bar than a hotel”
Review of Ravel Hotel

Ravel Hotel
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed December 13, 2012

loud music, noisy hallways, doors slamming, terrible service, bad location... but a good view.
the place reminded me of a bar with bouncers as front of house staff.

i asked them for one thing on my executive room reso and that was to not be on the first floor and they put me on the first floor. when i went and checked it out and saw the security bars like a cage outside my window starring at a rotten building across the street with cars racing by, i went and asked nicely, hi there, is it possible to change the room? i'll take anything else.

they were looking at me as if i was inconveniencing them. they said, no, sorry, theres nothing, mabey you can check tomorrow. as if i want to keep all my stuff in my suitcase and then come back and check. why cant you just give me a yes or no answer. im sure you can see on your computer ahead of time. anyways, i said thanks and got on with my trip.

they also mentioned that the bar and restaurant are closed for a private function all night and most of tomorrow. pretty much useless. the one time i did go up, i grabbed a drink and went outside. the bouncer came up to me and said i had to check my coat. lol, now, dont forget, im outside in the windy 3 degrees with a drink and he wants me to check my suit jacket. i handed him the drink and said have fun and left. what a joke these guys were running.

i was overdressed! for a new york hotel. cuz it was a dump.

good luck Ravel Hotel staff. continue your snobby attitude. you have been exposed once again...

Room Tip: they dont listen anyways. you can ask for whatever but they dont care
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank samncompany

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here from Dec 29 2011 till Jan 2 2012. The price of the room was $189 per night us. The
rooms were loft style and had a modern feel to them. The close proximity to the sub way may heading in to the city a breeze. They also have a limo service that will take you any where in Midtown for 25$. We took advantage of this our first night when we went out for dinner at Sparks Steak house. The service was out standing at this hotel the front desk staff would go out of their way to help you. The hotel has a restaurant on the top floor which serves a buffet breakfast. the view here is out standing. The hotel has a shuttle service to and from the sub way station take advantage of this. I would stay here again no question. This hotel is a close to Manhattan you will get with out paying the high prices.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have just had a 4 night stay at this hotel and found it to be ideal for a our trip. The room was spotless and the toiletries and towels were replenished every day. The shuttle to the station was very handy and we did walk back from the station one day. It took about 15 minutes. The staff were very helpful but we found the rooftop bar a bit pricey (9 dollars for a bottle of water) also the service charge inflated the costs to a very unrealistic amount - so beware. We had the continental breakfast one day which was reasonable and cost 7 dollars and you could have a cooked breakfast for $12. I would guess that some of the rooms need refurbishing from reading previous reviews but our rooms were ok. The view of the Queensboro Bridge at night is nice but the view of Manahttan is slightly marred by the two chimneys. Overall though a good place to stay and for what we paid it was well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bridge when booking
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was an overnight guest at the hotel. My first time back in the old neighborhood in about 12 years.
I found the hotel to be very nice and comfortable. The staff was very attentive to my needs and were very polite. I will be going back to the old neighborhood soon and will stay at this hotel again for sure.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I was here with my wife for a getaway . With 5 things i can describe my expirence.
1) The view its nice but if you remove the industrial chimneys in front of the building.
2) Location isnt that safe if you try to walk at night ( Project housing next to the hotel).
3. The furniture and the bathroom needs major renovation.
4. The Penthouse 808 horrible and so pricey .

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank dnyc80
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed our stay in the Ravel Hotel. Were upgraded to a suite but to be honest it was wasted on us as we only slept in the room - up early every morning and back late at night. We were glad that we had chosen this hotel as the view from our bedroom window was amazing, especially of the sun rising against the Manhattan skyline and the Queensborough Bridge. Yes there are industrial smokestacks but they dont take up the whole view. We made use of the free shuttle service to the subway station every morning and took a taxi back at night. On a downside the breakfast was poor and not worth the money.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the river is a must
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed overnight at this hotel and enjoyed my stay. The staff was pleasant and pictures online are accuarate. The hotel lobby/lounge/bar area looks bigger in the picture than it actually is but clean. I saw a review where someone complained of cracks in the floor and this is true but I was looking for them. The few cracks are small in comparison if reviewing the hotel as a whole. The hotel room floor hallway rugs either need a good shampooing or new rugs all together (no smells in hallway, just well traveled rugs) BUT when I entered MY room (512) that all went out of the window. The room was very NICE and clean and just as it is pictured online. I am a New Yorker and the view from my room of the city Skyline was AMAZING!! YES, the hotel is located in somewhat of an industrial/vacant area and there are eye sores. THIS DOES NOTHING TO THE AMAZING VIEW. Its like a DOT. You can stay in MANHATTAN and skip the couple of eye sores for about an extra $200-300 a night, be my guest. Manhattan is just across the bridge. I will suggest and recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family. In fact, I already did. I would go again.

Room Tip: Get a room with the balcony!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple