“the menu had promise, but that's where it ended.”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We tried this new restaurnat on a Friday night. We got right in, and were greeted by a hostess who told us she was temporarily out of menus. A little strange considering at the time there were only about a dozen people in the place. However, we were quickly seated, and menus soon came. The atmosphere was warm and attractive given the small size they had to work with. The menu was full of things we wanted to try, but I stuck to the ropa veija due to the good review it received on this site. The rest of the family had sandwiches of pork,ham,etc. the names of which I don't recall. It took 31 minutes for the food to arrive, probably due to the growing pains of a new restaurant.
The ropa vieja was delicious, although a bit pricey in my opinion.
The sandwiches, though tasty, were extremely small for the almost $9.00 price, and came with no sides at all. For this alone I would not go back. A family share order of caribbean salad was $10.00, and did little to make up for the skimpy entrees.
The owner stopped by the table, as she did to most tables, to greet us. We took this opportunity to offer some constructive criticism, which she readily welcomed. We mentioned the small sandwich situation, to which she seemed to give some thought. However, what she did do was admit that the bread she was using for one of the sandwiches was smaller than she wanted from the baker. For this she offered one of the sandwiches for free. While I can't argue with that kind of customer courtesy, I have to wonder how many other customers received less for their money before us.
The service was good, the owner courteous and caring, my water glass kept full, but overall not our cup of tea.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

My friends and I were so excited that Cuban food finally arrived in Long Beach. The restaurant looks great, the drinks were good but the service and food were lacking. My friend and I had the chuletas (pork chops) which were tough and chewy.......when we grew tired of trying to cut the pork chops with our steak knives which was futile, we just picked them up and gnawed on them! The rice and beans were bland. Another friend had the pernil which was tasteless and went home in a bag for our dog. All that said, will try once more because we all really WANTED IT TO BE GOOD. The service sucked. The Cuban steak was edible.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

The food is classic Cuban food. The vibe is hip. The drinks are great. And the price is right. The pulled beef (ropa vieja) and the picadillo (spiced ground beef) are out of this world and the appetizers are amazing. Went with friends for the grand opening weekend; this place is a great find. Highly recommend it for a date or for dinner with friends.

3  Thank Winelover2011
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We went to the grand opening of the Cuban Crocodile. The atmosphere is fun, causal. It's a great place for a get together with friends, for a nice dinner with a spouse, and a for a family dinner. The food is authentic Cuban cuisine. We tried almost every dish on the menu. Everything was delicious! The Ropa Veija, empanadas, and madurors are must haves. They serve you very good portions, so bring your appetite. All entrees are under $20, and appetizers under $7.00. Also, the mojitos are excellent and they have a good selection of Spanish wines! If you are looking for a fun, new place to try and want to taste some delicious Cuban food, the Cuban Crocodile is the place to go!

2  Thank WineGossip