“The Worst Part of My Wedding Day. I will Never Go Back.”
Review of Allegria Hotel

Allegria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
Rockville Centre, New York
“The Worst Part of My Wedding Day. I will Never Go Back.”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife wanted to wake up at the beach, since we were flying out for our honeymoon a few days after our wedding, so this seemed like it would be perfect. I was so wrong. When we got there, still in our wedding clothes, the front desk ignored us because it was late. The other guests greeted us before the front desk realized they should. It was about 12:30 when we got up to our room, and we decided to order room service and unwind. After 3 phones calls, room service arrived and woke up up at 3:40 with half of the order and the other half cold. Completely unsatisfied, I left it in the hall. By this time the other couples from the club downstairs were getting back to their rooms. It was impossible to get back to sleep because you could hear everything in the rooms next to us and the couple above us that must have been bouncing a basketball in their bed. By 6am we had enough and checked out and went home. There was no manager or anyone to talk to about our experience, or anyone to try to make us feel better or even care that we were leaving 5 hours after checking in. They simply wanted to make sure they got their $500 and send us on our way. I would have been happy for someone to just say sorry or listen to the terrible experience, but customer service is not on there list of important features, and if not for being one of the only nice hotels on LI on the beach, I'm sure they would be gone. A complete waist of money, an embarrassment to treat people that way on their wedding day, never mind on any other day.

Room Tip: The walls are thin, so you can hear everything on the South Side by the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank J K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel that is still hurting from the hurricane. Some silly annoyances during the visit--phone not working, housekeeping did not bring extra towel or pillows requested, misplaced car keys--all for which graciously apologized and voucher given for next visit. Would have given sleep quality a higher rating if the pillows weren't like torpedoes--too hard--but bed was great. You can't beat the location, the pool is sweet and nice change from the sand on the beach if you are tired and just want to vegetate without extensive clean up...The club seemed rocking though my hubby and I passed. Just wish the bathroom wall was more sound proof from the sleeping area--need I say more? Complimentary water bottles would seem appropriate, too.

Room Tip: Make sure to let the front desk know of any issues that arise so they will offer voucher or discount...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
malibu
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is run terribly. Only one example: The kitchen wasn't working when I ordered an omelet which never arrived after an hour's wait! Two servers and managers kept telling me it was being prepared "right now." Finally, an honest waitress told me the problem.
Also, the only reason to stay here is it's location on the beach. Guests get passes to the beach and chairs and an umbrella. However, on Sunday, they had run out of chairs and umbrellas by noon. So we had to rent a cabana for $40. which barely kept us out of the shade. One of the staff told us that they lost 70 beach chairs in hurricane Sandy, and the owner refuses to spend the money to replace them despite the unhappy clientele who don't get what they pay for all too often.
Find another way to enjoy the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lizMalibu

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Long Beach, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel has reopened better than before and you will not be disapointed. The boardwalk will also be completed shortly! Their cabana boys are wonderful with the service and the rooms are ready for guest! The Sunday brunch is now being held in the bar/dinning area on the first floor rather than the roof. We loved the lobster as always and would ask you to stay and PLEASE help the town recover from Hurricane Sandy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Hey,what an awesome experience,great staff and great food,at first thought it was on the expensive side but 3 lobster tails and 5bloody marys later I was not complaining,could not have picked a better setting for Sunday brunch,thanks to all at the alegria hotel for a wonderful day,Tadhg ny

Stayed June 2013
Redlands, Ca
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I can confirm that all of the prior negative reviews, and there are many, are unfortunately right on the money. And that is what you will spend if you stay at this wannabe upscale hotel. On arrival I inquired if there was a charge for valet parking. I was told that if you were a "guest" it is free, but if you stay overnight that there is a $25 charge. Presumably the "guests" are those wanting to go to the bar or eat at the restaurant. If you stay overnight, you are not a "guest." You are certainly not treated like one. Save your money and look for nearby street parking. Save even more money and look for another hotel.

On the positive side,the hotel that has an attractive lobby with chic rooms decorated in a minimalist modern style with upscale bathroom fixtures, comfortable beds, a large plasma screen T.V., and a small refrigerator. It is right on the beach, and they gave us passes good for the stay. No small deal, as the daily pass costs $13. In New York, it seems, they have this quaint custom of charging you to go to the beach in the very antithesis of Hawaii and California. The hotel restaurant also served up a pricey but very good dinner. The pluses end right there.

We arrived to find the chair by the desk marred by a red streak of lipstick, while the floor under the desk was spotted with black marks. No wash cloth available, as reported in a prior review. I found a member of the housekeeping crew right next door to us and requested one. I was told that he had just given out his last one. I asked if I might have that one, but was told that he couldn't as the "guest" was in the room. Obviously he didn't realize that none of us were "guests" at this hotel. He offered no apology, and no offer to get one. Apparently they are not only understaffed, but underwashclothed at this hotel. I know that they are understaffed, because we put a "please tidy up" sign on our door at 9 a.m. the next day, only to return to our room around 4:30 p.m. to find the sign still on the door. A door which, by the way, wouldn't open to either of our plastic card keys. Down to the lobby to get two new keys. Clerk there said that they must have become demagnetized. Both of them?

I am a generous reviewer, and have never given anyplace I've stayed two stars. At this point I was thinking, two stars or three stars? Maybe so far we've just been unlucky? Actually we had been very lucky, as we had quiet neighbors. When a chair was pushed away from the desk in the adjacent room a very loud screech was heard in our room, and when they spoke or someone passed by talking outside we heard voices. Can't imagine what it would have been like if we had had noisy neighbors. So maybe a very generous three stars? But that is when the toilet wouldn't flush. Well, we were leaving that morning, so no big problem. I paid my bill and was about to roll my suitcase a half block to where our car was parked when my wife noted that we had booked on Expedia and that the bill had already been paid. Oops. Went back in and got the excess charge credited. We did, of course, have to pay $12.95 plus tax, make that circa $14 for our one day use of the Internet.

So when looking at my two star review, remember what I said about being a generous reviewer who is willing to make allowances. I expect that anyone else who had had our experiences would have given this hotel one star. Or perhaps none, if that were an option. Stay at the Library Hotel in Manhattan and come out to Long Beach only for the day. You will be glad that you did.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Gloucester, Maine
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Air conditioner broke, room service 1hour late more than once.. over priced. Even with repeated phone calls they failed in every way. Its ovious that the owner(s) do not care about guests or there employees. Its sad to see a place in such a great location wasted like this place. Stay in Manhattan. You dont want to ruin a moment here.

• Stayed June 2013
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton R...
#1 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Best Western Mill River Manor
Best Western Mill River Manor
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Ramada Rockville Centre
Ramada Rockville Centre
#4 of 4 in Rockville Centre

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!