“Average at best... then check your bill.”
Review of Allegria Hotel

Allegria Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Long Beach
Astoria, NY
“Average at best... then check your bill.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Recently stayed here as it was convenient to a wedding nearby. It looks terrific and has a great location. The room itself was contemporary in it's styling but average in size if not a bit small. On the downside, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's appearance, price, and attempts to be 'chic and trendy', are out of place in a working place town like Long Beach. It already had issues with solvency in the recent past and worked out a deal sometime last year. In my opinion it is way overpriced for where it is and what it's trying to be. Adding insult to injury, upon checking her account, my wife found a charge for $188 added to the original price of the room. When she called the hotel, she was told it was for "incidentals" but couldn't give any specifics. It was removed after quite a bit of complaining up the ladder. Would I stay again? Not a chance.

Room Tip: Beach side would be better.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Sponge_Rider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Do not stay in this hotel. To start off they lost my reservation, obviously so annoying. Then my boyfriend and I arrived at 1 am after a late night and a friends wedding, and they gave us a room with a broken air conditioner unit. It took them 2 hrs to get us fans, and it was the worst sleep I've had in a long time. The rooms are average a best, and the beds are so uncomfortable I slept on top of the sheets without any pillows. The next morning, the manager claimed that she had NO IDEA, that they were having air conditioner problems in the hotel. Funnily enough, we then overheard may other guests complain about the same issues.

The only nice staff were the bartenders upstairs at the bar. We told them about our horrible stay and they were sympathetic to comp us a round of drinks. We had lunch and the food was just soso and our waiter was slow as molasses. This hotel knows NOTHING about customer service, and is way over priced. Save your money, take the train back to the city, because the Allegria is not worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank CNDGirl44

Travelers are raving about these Long Beach hotels

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This hotel is horrible! From the very beginning, in my efforts to book a 5-room block for a girls' weekend, I had nothing but a hard time trying to work with these people. I was told on more than one occasion, when calling to follow up on my reservation status, to "call back later" as they were "swamped" and unable to deal with my call at the time. I had no confidence that my reservation was taken correctly, but by some miracle of God, I had a somewhat-simple check in. That was negated, however, when the security guard working in the lobby proceeded to hit on me and my friends. Gross, talk about unprofessional.

The frustration increased when I called the hotel restaurant around 9PM to request that some cutlery be brought up to our room, I was told by an extremely snotty woman that it would cost $15 to have that done. When I told her that was absurd, she said that I could come downstairs to the restaurant to pick up the cutlery myself, in which case I would not be charged anything. She made it a point to note that the cutlery that would be given to me would be PLASTIC ONLY. Ugh. So, one of my friends and I went to the restaurant to pick up said cutlery and happened to run into the restaurant manager. When we explained to him that we were spending a good amount of money on our hotel stay (one suite + 4 additional rooms) and that we didn't appreciate the obnoxious behavior of the woman we spoke with, he simply said, "No, that was a mistake on her part. We have a bunch of new staff and they don't all have the rules memorized yet." He then said that he'd deal with her misunderstanding.... no apology, however, and no attempt to reconcile our frustration.

Add to that the false charges on my friends' credit cards for incidental fees for a buffet breakfast and a cot that were not even ordered by our party, and you can see how the entire visit rounded out to be extremely disappointing. I would never come back here, and suggest that anyone who values customer service not stay here either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dana S
New YOrk
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I think any review of this hotel has to include what exactly the reviewer was expecting and/or looking for. It is not a place for a week long vacation with the family. It is a great quick getaway from Manhattan and, although a little pricey, the location makes it feel like a million miles away. That being said, Long Beach is NOT the Hamptons nor the Hamptons crowd which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you want. The good: the hotel is directly on the ocean. The beach is huge and sparsely populated but is not a private beach. That means you get the local mix and their blaring radios and plastic cups full of beer. What you do get is a nice and comfortable beach chair with towels and waiter service if you want to eat on the beach. Umbrellas and cabanas are extra. Non hotel guests can also purchase chairs for the day. The water is clean and there are lifeguards. There is also the rooftop pool which has an amazing view but...it is essentially a bar with a small pool so when it gets crowded it is not extremely pleasant. Groups of twenty somethings, loud reggae music and parents with babies and kids in a relatively small place. Better mid week but come Friday a bit too crowded and noisy. The other crazy thing is the cabanas at the pool. They charge $200 for the day. No one buys them..people sit on them and then are shooed away by the manager. The whole system is stupid. YOu have lounge chairs jammed together and at least 8 cabanas empty all day. Big turn off.

Restaurants: all pretty good but nothing particularly great. Better then I expected but Atlantica well overpriced. YOu can order a couple of small plates which are plenty big to keep it in check. Rooftop lounge/pool has decent sushi but they need a new bartender for sure. The one drink I ordered was very week and watery.

Room: Again a pleasant surprise. We had a standard king room with town view but it was clean and spacious. Very comfortable bed and nice shower/bath products and surprisingly quiet at night. Only noise was from the housekeeping staff at 8:00 am who seemed to be screaming in Spanish in the hall way and woke us up. They should really mention this to the staff.

Overall I would stay again for one or two nights at most and definitely mid week. It is pricey but you can find discounts on some third party sights which I did. Lots of tipping, nothing included...not even coffee. For my need of a quick close getaway it was far from terrible and pretty darn good.

2 Thank kalodie
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed last weekend at the hotel, very nice location and the room was spacious and nicely arranged.
But when I tried to contact he lobby to ask a question , the phone was not working. So I went to the lobby and asked in person and mentioned that the phone was not working and was told they would contact "engineering" to have it fixed. The next day the phone still wasn't working.
During checkout, we were presented with a bill for $540 ($499+tax) per day although during check-in, we were quoted $399 + tax per day. Luckily, the person that checked us in was at the reception desk and confirmed to this other guy that the rate was $399, so he printed another bill with the correct amount. Not very reassuring.
We noticed that in general the staff is composed of very young people, who may not have the necessary experience.

2 Thank Rob A
Belgium
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I like the Allegria, rooms are spacious, clean and classy. Just a pitty that Internet is charged for, and the problem is also that this hotel hosts many wedding parties and private parties which make the place VERY VERY noisy on week-ends. Just 5 mins away of the train/bus station, many restaurants and shops in the vicinity.

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank perks787
Mike W, General Manager at Allegria Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Perks787

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and are so pleased you were able to enjoy all that the Allegria and the city of Long Beach has to offer.

Weddings are very popular here at the hotel. With our organic menu, service and location - we offer much more than a typical catering hall. This past weekend we had only one wedding on the rooftop so my apologies if the guests disturbed you while they were coming and going from their rooms.

We look forward to welcoming you again the next time you choose to visit the east coast and hope that you have a safe journey back to Belgium.

Hospitably,

Mike Witte
Allegria
Mamaronec
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Although this hotel is beautiful and the location is superb, I would not recommend this hotel. Upon check- in I was told I did not have a reservation. I quickly showed him a confirmation that was sent via email and coincidently he found it. We arrived early with all intentions of waiting until the designated check-in time and using the facilities. When we asked if we could get a bite to eat we were told by a gentleman(who worked at the restaurant) he didn't know he was new and we should go to the front desk to see what time they started serving. We wound up walking into town and had a wonderful lunch at Sutton Place. We finally checked in after 3 with an adjoining room with our friends. We walked into their room and the door locked behind us with the keys locked in our room. I called the front desk and they said they would send an engineer. 45 minutes and 3 phone calls later he arrived to let us in. He told us he was not contacted until 5 minutes before he arrived. We finally settle in to find that our room phone did not work. Thank goodness for cell phones in case of an emergency. We ordered dinner in from the restaurant on premise and was told it was a limited menu but if we came downstairs we could order from a larger menu. After making our selection, we were told they can not send it up to the room because we "chose" from the main menu. What a crock! If I weren't so hungry I would have walked out. We waited for what seemed like an eternity only to arrive upstairs to find they had forgotten one of our entrees.
Our husbands awaiting patiently while we run back down because they won't send it up. We
arrive back to the room to be informed by our spouses while we were gone a gentleman came to
the door and said he received a noise complaint. Mind you we have 9 month old twins who are
sleeping in the same room. Who in their right mind would make noise to wake peacefully
sleeping babies I ask you? The next morning I take my son to surf camp on the beach a bit down
the way which I arranged through the concierge and surprise, he's not on the list. The staff at
this hotel should be wiped clean and replaced with experienced people who know how to treat
their guests. I would never come back here again and I'm hoping my review will save some of
you the troubles that we have experienced. My advice, save your money. They act like they are
doing you a favor by letting you stay here and spend your money. No thanks .... We'll pass.
Location is the only thing they have going for them.

7 Thank Wendy T
Mike W, General Manager at Allegria Hotel, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Dear Wendy T:

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. Firstly, let me apologize for the challenges you experienced - we do take your feedback seriously and see it as an opportunity to lift our level of service.

While we cannot do much about the guests who complained about noise coming from your adjoining rooms; as a result of your post - we are taking a hard look at our menu policy. The staff in question has been redirected.

The phone system has been checked and the room phone is operational and safe for occupancy. We also reached out to the surf camp to ascertain what happened with your reservation because our log book and the phone itself indicates that a call was made from the concierge line and a reservation was made on your behalf.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Hospitably,

Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Rockville Centre
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton R...
#1 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Best Western Mill River Manor
Best Western Mill River Manor
#2 of 4 in Rockville Centre
Ramada Rockville Centre
Ramada Rockville Centre
#4 of 4 in Rockville Centre

Been to Allegria Hotel? Share your experiences!