“Excellent Valentine's Day Dinner”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Barney's Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Visited on Valentine's Day, we had an early (6 pm) seating. The restaurant is warm and inviting, upon entering we were greeted by three staff members, all of whom were very friendly and made us comfortable immediately. Seated in the main room, near the fireplace, the atmosphere is cozy and romantic, sort of like an old country inn.
Our server was prompt, knowledgeable, and friendly. Drinks arrived quickly, followed by rolls and butter. Main courses of braised short ribs and filet mignon were cooked as requested, served with very tasty sides. Portion size was fine, the food was well prepared and hot. Short ribs were very tender and not at all stringy, while the filet was tender and had excellent flavor. Dessert sampler was outstanding, and a fine finish to a great meal. As this was a price fix menu, we felt that the value was also excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, and plan to return in the near future.

1  Thank Paul B
There are newer reviews for Barney's Restaurant

Reviewed October 25, 2013

The maitre de was rude from the minute we walked in. Had a scowl on his face and never smiled. We asked to sit in a different location other than where he put us and he wouldn't do it. My friend found a bug in her glass of wine and he didn't believe her. No apology. No offer of another drink or money back. Don't care how good the food is. We will never go back there again because of this experience!

4  Thank Asharons
mitch h, Owner at Barney's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Hello. I am terribly sorry to hear about your recent experience at Barneys. But I am glad you brought it to my attention. This is how I can correct my establishments flaws. The service staff should have been smiling and positive with you, and tried to correct there mistakes rather than choosing to ignore them. A replacement glass of wine, a new table, and how we could have attempted to find an acceptable menu item for you to enjoy (like we do not have hamburgers, but you may have our beef sliders with French fries or a petit salad), I am in a service industry, and I apologize for my shortcomings. I hope I can correct some of these. And would like the opportunity to make amends to you and your guests. Thanks , Mitch Hauser, owner.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I took my family of six to this famous local spot for an early(6pm) Saturday dinner. The house setting is immediately warm and inviting and the photos of 700lb Barney(who lived there) and his enormous belts hanging on the wall were fascinating to the two grandkids. I'm glad I made an early reservation because the service really slowed down to the point of being annoying when the other tables filled. The appetizers and main courses were excellent. I especially enjoyed my lobster salad appetizer and halibut entree. My grandson loved his Filet Mignon. I was very disappointed that only three beer choices(no IPAs which is what I wanted) were offered. How hard can it be to stock an interesting selection of bottled beer? My wife and daughter wanted a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc but they didn't have the one shown on the wine list. My two grandsons(13 & 11) ordered the Chocolate Lasagna and didn't finish it and said it was too dry. All in all, what should have been five stars overall ended up only four which is a shame when you have an excellent chef and a beautiful setting in an affluent community.

1  Thank matinecock
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Barney's has a great formula, marrying high-end food with a cozy, country inn setting. The duck was a fantastic dish, and their scallops and shrimp in Hoison glaze and soba noodles was excellent. The part you would think would be easier - service - was severely lacking and clouded the overall experience. Our drinks arrived only after following up with various staff several times. The appetizers were late also, but the entrees came less than five minutes after, and needed to be held until we were ready. The waiter disappeared for long periods and in the end, was not available to produce a check. After the check was produced, it took a trip to the bar, and over 10 minutes, to close out. Maybe it was just a bad night for Barney's. Five star food and one star service make for a three star overall rating.

2  Thank Cliffster1162
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I suggest taking advantage of this menu if you can get there early. Barney's has have great quality food and good sized portions. The wine list is also very deep.