“Flea Bag Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Locust Valley
Abington, Massachusetts
“Flea Bag Hotel”
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I am a National Convention Manager and travel for a living. I was in town for some College Fairs on Long Island and decided to stay at the Tides Motor Inn from 9/20 thru 9/23

I checked in on 9/20 around noon and was given room 17, I went to the room and dropped my bags and left to Farmingdale State College for the 1st of my 3 college fairs here. I returned to my room at around 10:30PM. I turned on my laptop while in bed and within minutes noticed a Flea crawling across my computer screen and killed it with my thumb, I figured no big deal right…. Well then I saw and killed another, then another, and yet another…. Started getting bitten on my shoulders and back… I then noticed them crawling across the television screen as I was watching the football game, got bit a few more times and then freaked out…. I grabbed my bags and left the room immediately. I went to the front office at around midnight and checked out. Told the gentleman at the front desk I couldn’t stay because of what was happening and he refunded me the next 2 nights but said he needed to speak to a manager in the AM to see if he could refund the 1st night

I didn’t stay in the room, and in fact all together was only in there for a couple of hours before making my escape

After midnight I drove to Garden City, where my next college fair was taking place the next day, and I was lucky enough to find a hotel near the college so I didn’t have to sleep in my car.

No Refund given for the 1st night by management, STAY AWAY FROM THIS FLEA BAG JOINT!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank Xntryx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York
Reviewed October 6, 2009

The room was clean with new rugs and tile, the bathroom was immaculate with a great shower, the air conditioning kept the room very comfortable. I enjoyed complimentary morning coffee and conversation with Jay the owner/proprietor as well as a mid week discount. The beach is directly across the street with a view to die for. For business or a get away I think this is the best kept secrete on Long Island.
I firmly believe the naysayers of the establishment are simply saboteurs for what ever reason.
I would stay there with my children in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank LoneTraveler19
long valley nj
Reviewed August 7, 2009

the rooms smell musty and they are not clean - behind the bed was disgusting - the bathroom is small and awkward to use - the bed cover and sheets came off the bed if you moved - the first room we looked at had bedspread so old you saw the threading on the thin thing all worn out...water marks in the ceiling tiles...NEVER again will we stay at this place - it is too bad, Bayville is a great little town

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank btbycb

Travelers are raving about these Locust Valley hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I checked in on July 2nd and left at midnight for the East Norwhich Hotel!

When I arrived at the Tides Motor inn we checked into the room. It smells awful,and when i lifted the bedspread and blanket on both beds there were hair in the bed. I am not a picky travellern but cleanliness is essential and this place is plain gross!!

Go to the East Norwhich, a little more expensive but 1 million times better with great coffee, bagels etc for breakfast, very clean and comfortable rooms, and a clean pool.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank Avidtraveller44
Scranton, PA
Reviewed May 5, 2009

If you need a fairly cheap place to crash, this might work for you. If you're headed here on vacation and your hotel is a destination ni and of itself, don't stay at the Tides, unless you can compromise comfort for location. Cover to A/C was off completely and the A/C didn't work, plus the window didn't open so it was very stuffy even in early Spring. Bedding was stiff and uncomfortable but it did seem clean. Bathroom was fine. We were only in town for one night for a funeral, and spent less than 12 hours there, so we lived through it, but I wouldn't stay there any longer than that. It's a shame because it's the only spot on the beach and ithas great potential. Nice thing is no one else stayed there so it was nearly empty and therefore quiet. I understand it's been extensively renovated but it seems it still needs more work. Staff were accommodating enough.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank aria1326
Glen Cove
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I ben going to the tides for two years now jsut to relax and get away from my family. its a quiet spot. Big property. The best location, next to the bayville adventure and across from the beach, and the busy bayville strip is in walking distance. The owner is very peaceful. The tides and the bayville adventure park work together, because you can go to the park and then sleep a night or to at this great hotel. The pool is great for the summer! 5/5

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank JoeyBeans
NYC
Reviewed September 16, 2008

They were extremely accomodating - and WHAT potential that property has! Right next to an amusement park, and across from a beach!!!! WOW! Room wasn't huge, but it was clean! Bathroom looked brand new, and the staff was GREAT... I felt like I was on vacation, and I live only 40 minutes away, in NYC!

• Liked — convenient to beach n boardwalk
  • Disliked — very simple setting
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels
Chalet Inn & Suites
Chalet Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Centerport

Been to The Tides Motor Inn? Share your experiences!