“A Hidden Gem!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Brass Rail - Locust Valley

The Brass Rail - Locust Valley
Reserve with OpenTable
The Brass Rail - Locust Valley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Weirs Lane
Description: We give people great food, selections, drinks and service in a casual atmosphere at a reasonable price
New York, New York, United States
“A Hidden Gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

This American Brasserie has wonderful food, good service and reasonable prices! Don't let the strip mall location fool you - this is a terrific restaurant. Standouts on the menu for us were the lamb chops Wu style, the pork chop, and the shrimp and oyster po boy. We have been here many times with and without the kids and there is something for everybody and the food and service are always terrific.

Long Island, New York
“An Unexpected Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a hidden gem! We went for dinner with three other couples. The service was great and the food even better! Great choices on the menu. My husband started with the duck sliders that were topped with onion rings and fried oysters. A pure culinary delight! Our friends started with the fish tacos and loved every bite. I had the branzino and it was cooked perfectly and was served over a bed of spinach. Yum! My husband had the crab cake as his entrée and was very happy with his choice. We ordered a few desserts for the table and they were accompanied with a thick chocolate sauce that was delicious! I could have eaten an entire bowl of it! I can't wait to go back to this purely delightful hidden gem.

1 Thank VIvian666
Sayville, New York
“The Christmas Gift”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Every year at Christmas, my wife's brother Steve gives us one or two gift certificates to a restaurant somewhere on Long Island. This year, he hit the nail on the head! First, let me preface this with how he found this place: He went in and had an appetizer of a fish taco at the bar. They are known for their small plate menu.

We decided to try the place out on Valentines Day Weekend, which Feb 14th is our wedding anniversary. (Before you say "How Romantic", know that we were married on the 14th because 1) it fell on a Sunday, 2) Monday was a Holiday and 3) because it was the last Sunday before Lent and all the alters in the church were about to be covered in black for the next few weeks.) That being said, Try getting a Table at a restaurant for your Anniversary (Not Valentines Day) that doesn't have a "Special" Menu planned for Valentines day.

So we had reservations (requested) for Saturday. It snowed. Locust Valley is not known for being "flat and level". Don't believe me? Check out episodes of "Royal Pains" on USA network. They film a lot of exteriors on the main street of Locust Valley to substitute trekking all the way out to the Hamptons. See them trudging up hill? That's NOT Southampton. Still, despite slipping all over the road, we made it to the restaurant on time.

From the front, a very small hole in the wall. Inside, a huge Bar to the right. 2 High Tables in the Window, 8 or 9 tables along the left wall, and a back room with a fireplace that we couldn't see due to the large table positioned in front of it. There were several tables on either side. We had requested a table near the fireplace but wound up in the front room, which was dimly lit. It made it difficult to read the regular menu, which I had already read through on their website, but that didn't matter as we chose our appetizers and dinners from the "Specials" menu.

In the process of trying to finish work and run errands, I never had time to eat Lunch that day. So when we got to the Restaurant, I was quite hungry. Good News: Service was very quick, and very attentive! We both knew what we wanted right away, my wife ordering the tri-color pear salad and chateaubriand, which is very unusual for her, she usually prefers a Fish of some sort, while I requested the Tomato Soup (Can't remember the exact name) and also ordering the chateaubriand. (A first for us to order the same dinner - and funny, because most restaurants have "Chateaubriand for two" on their menus, but the Brass Rail has them as single dishes)

My wife noted that her Salad was very tasty, while my surprise with my soup was the accompaniment of 2 wedges of Grilled Cheese. The best grilled cheese I've ever had. Which is funny because it was snowing outside and I'm having Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese. I had to wonder if the snow was melting off my sled in the entryway! By the way, I mentioned earlier in this review that I hadn't had lunch that day.... This was it.

The chateaubriand was sliced into 2 nice cuts of meat, presented over 4 very large and hearty grilled asparagus and a nice amount of Mashed Potatoes surrounded by a brown sauce. Not a gravy and not a broth, but somewhere in between. The meat cut like butter and both of us stared into each others eyes on the first bite, which was heaven on a plate! After we left, we talked about the meal for an hour.

We're already discussing the plans on who we need to take out to dinner in the near future and how we're going to talk them into traveling the hour or so (in much better weather) to eat at the Brass Rail.

If you live in New York City, or somewhere on the North Shore of Long Island, you can take a train on the Glen Cove line to Locust Valley. The Restaurant is a short walk (uphill - Sorry, remember, once you're full, it's downhill back to the Station - And there's an Ice Cream and Yogurt shop on the way) north and then west (left). It's worth the walk, I'm sure!

Hicksville, New York
“A pleasant surprise in a commonplace area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I have past this stripe mall numerous times - but never knew this restaurant was there, so it was a pleasant surprise when a family member suggested we meet there for a Birthday dinner. We were a party of 5 and were seated at a comfortable table. The atmosphere was very nice, but the lighting it is a bit dark. We started w/a variety of appetizers. I would highly recommend the 2 that I sampled: Fried Calamari in an Asian spice sauce and the grilled Octopus (I would have that as a main meal, next time I return). For the main meal I had the Cappellini w/shrimp, lobster & mussels in a LIGHT pink sauce. It was excellent, and I put the emphasis on light- as it was just right & not to heavy. Although there were too many mussels in this dish - would have preferred less mussels. My husband had the roast beef & my step-daughter had the salmon - both said they were very good w/a nice flavoring. The waiter was pleasant, but he messed up on a few things,,,, (1) he did not ask if we wanted a refill on our drinks when a few of us had already finished & others were close to finished. (2)We were celebrating a birthday at our gathering & the waiter brought out a small key lime cheese cake w/candle & we all sang H.B. he brought out several spoons (I guess he thought we would share) then came back a bit later w/the check before he asked if anyone else wanted dessert of coffee. That was weird. But I would go back, as the food was very good & there were a lot of choices on their menu. Reasonable priced.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Earth2Sea2Sky
Glen Cove, New York
“great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Went there for a birthday lunch & the food and service are both excellent.
They have a very good mix of small plates & entrees. Dessert was the best though!

Visited November 2013