“Great food”

Dining options: Reservations
Westminster, Colorado
“Great food”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We were in Lockport for just a night. A friend took us to Shamus. The restaurant is a favorite of locals and we had to wait a bit for a table. It was well worth the wait. We started with steamed clams, delicious! We all had fish in one form or another. We all loved our meals including the sides that come along! The owner is visible, greeting customers and helping her wait staff.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Yvonne P

Kenmore, New York
“A Nice Find”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

My friend and I were looking for a place to eat lunch on Thursday, July 3, 2014, so we headed to Lockport, New York to find a restaurant where we had never previously eaten. We came upon a cute establishment that advertised both lunch, dinner and an open patio. We were promptly greeted and seated by the friendly lady behind the bar. Shortly thereafter our pleasant and efficient waitress, Leslie, stopped by to take our drink orders and to tell us about the afternoon's specials. We both opted for the french onion soup, which was one of the best we had ever eaten. The soup was very thick and had a nice layer of cheese on top. I chose the crabmeat/shrimp (mayo based) salad which was accompanied by juicy cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, grapes, strawberries, carrots, cucumbers and onions, atop a fresh piece of lettuce. A delicious roll was served on the side. My friend chose the beef on weck; however, Leslie informed us that she had just served the last one. Therefore, a 5-ounce open tenderloin steak with a large piece of garlic bread and onion rings was selected. The meat was perfectly prepared. Leslie excellently described the desserts, but we passed on the choices, even though they sounded very interesting. The Shamus does accept Simply Certificates. I accidentally left my unused certificates at the table and Leslie was alert and honest enough to return them to me. After I ate lunch I viewed the beautiful outside patio, where, perhaps I will eat on a sunnier day. I look forward to my next visit here.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Aseabird
Webster, New York
“Excellent eating in Lockport NY”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Found the Shamus Restaurant in Lockport NY by chance driving around last fall. Had an excellent meal. Could not believe how good it was. So decided to try them again last week. No surprises ,,, just another great meal. Sat out on the patio. Service was perfect ,,, as was the food. Cannot rave enough about Shamus. While a little out of the way (from Buffalo or Rochester) it is well worth the drive. Wide selection of food, wine, and spirits. Small intimate bar for before or after dinner drinks. No rushing or hassling so you can truly relax and enjoy your superb meal. Fine dining at a reasonable price.

1 Thank Luke1015
“Seriously ??”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just finished dinner at this well rated restaurant. We met someone on the way in that assured us we would enjoy. This was not the case. We ordered a shrimp special and the famous seafood pie. We enjoyed a terrific show from the next table as four patrons were quite upset for the $.65 cent charge for blue cheese dressing. The food was really mediocre. The seafood pie was bland and boring, topped with broken crackers and filled with I believe was fake crab chewy scallops and grey small shrimps. The service was friendly, wine reasonable We would not return.

2 Thank N N
Rochester, New York
1,980 restaurant reviews
“Good food for the locale, nice place inside”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

A group of us went to Shamus this past week following a meeting, and we did so without a reservation. We hadn't counted on the restaurant being busy on a Wednesday evening, but it was packed. Still, they seated us at a "waitress-less table" until they could take care of us. (They said it would be about 20 minutes, although it was closer to 45 minutes.) Regardless, they had warned us that there would be a wait, and it wasn't excessive. Plus, once they started serving our table, everything was wonderful, so it was OK. Still, I'd recommend getting a reservation in advance, even on a work night.

As far as the food, I thought it was pretty good, given the fact that it is in Lockport, which is not known for its extensive culinary institutions. I ordered a seafood pie for my entrée, which included scallops, shrimp and crab in a nice creamy seafood sauce. The entire dish was baked into a pastry crust and sprinkled on top with more pastry-and-cheese crumbs. The overall affect was quite pleasing, although if I had to make a suggestion it would be to go with the larger sea scallops than the smaller bay scallops which they use. (That would cost more, though, and this dish was actually around $20.00, which was a lot of seafood for the price.)

By the way...about that 45 minute wait in the beginning; they brought us a round of drinks for which we were never charged, which we brought to their attention. They said "don't worry about it...thanks for your patience." Very nice of them! Then, they brought out some complimentary strawberry shortcake, which was also "on the house." This was not expected but certainly appreciated! I enjoyed my meal here, and I certainly would go back. Once again, though, I do recommend getting a reservation before you go.

1 Thank Larry W