“Excellent educational side trip”

Lockport Cave and Underground Boat Ride
Ranked #1 of 31 things to do in Lockport
Orlando, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Excellent educational side trip”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a day with nothing really planned and was told by a front desk agent at our hotel to try this. My wife and I were pleasantly surprised by this 1 hour tour and the guide was terrific. My wife had never seen "locks" operate before and we got lucky that a boat passed through while we were there. We always visit any cave on vacation so it was really interesting to enter into a man-made cave used for waterflow to power factories years ago. If you enjoy seeing something interesting with an educational theme - dont miss this.

1 Thank Canyonman68

Buffalo, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great for grandchildren.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We took our three grandchildren, 7, 9 and 14 years on this tour. They were entertained and interested. Our tour guide was funny, adding just the right amount of history, and a few ghostly suggestions. The tour is definitely not for those who have trouble walking or negotiating stairs. When the tours began years again, the name included raceway, but no one really knew what that was, so they call it a cave for lack of a better designation. The cave is an old - long - water raceway that originally supplied rushing water for power. The tour starts with a look at the locks on the Erie Canal and continues on inside the raceway, moving to a flat boat for a short water ride - all inside the embankment above the Erie Canal. Afterwards, tour the locks and museum, and have some homemade Lockport ice cream at across the street at Lake Effect.

Mississauga, Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Very Interesting!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We recently went to the Lockport Cave and Underground Boat Ride. Our tour guide was great and very knowledgeable. As people mentioned there are stairs but for most people they are doable. Our kids are aged 8 and 11 and they really enjoyed the tour. The tour lasted about 70 mins or so. There is some lighting in the cave and my kids were not scared. There is no crawling. There is some water on one side of the cave for most of the path so you do walk along one side. The boat ride was fun. It is only about 10 mins and the boat goes back the same way. You just turn your body around the other way to go back as the boat doesn't turn around to go back. I think this was an interesting thing to see and the staff are great and friendly. I like that it wasn't too long as I wasn't sure how I would feel in a cave for a long period of time. The ceiling was rather high so I think most people would feel fine. The only thing is that I would make the effort to get some photos when you feel like it as I felt a little bad as the tour guide was talking a lot but I did want some photos. I know it is a little dark but the ones I took with a flash turned out. So we weren't really told we had time to take photos so if you are waiting for the right moment to not bug anyone to take a photo it is not really stated so I guess just take a few quick ones as the moment may be lost if you don't. We went to an ice cream place within walking distance for a treat at the end.

1 Thank Me683
Clevelan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Incredible attraction! Great value”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

For $12, this is one of the best tours we have ever done ( after visiting 46 states and 15 foreign countries). It was incredibly interesting, just the right length, and very well produced. Tour around the locks on your own afterwards, and then go for some yummy ice cream at Lake Effect!

1 Thank bobsense
Ellicott City, Maryland
168 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 148 helpful votes
“Fun cave tour”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Lockport cave an underground tour was a fun stop and worth the trip from Niagara Falls. As others have mentioned, the caves are man-made, so don't go on the tour expecting to visit a natural cave. Despite that, it was interesting to learn about the history of Lockport and the Erie Canal while touring the remains of one of the first hydro-mechanical factory ever built.

The tour started by taking us around locks 34 and 35 of the Erie Canal. After that we walked along the canal and into the cave. We walked a good distance and then boarded a boat with trawling motors, which we took to the back of the cave. The tour was nice, our tour guide was very knowledgeable about the history of the area, and it was good to spend some time in a cool cave on a hot day.

The tour does require some walking and will require going up and down some steps. Most people should be able to do it without issue, but it is not a wheelchair accessible tour.

Other than the cave tour there isn't very much to see in Lockport. However, I'm glad we made the trip to see the canal and learn about the history of Lockport.

Visited June 2013