“It was decent I guess”

Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Well, the exterior seemed nice and there was a large lobby but I was a bit disappointed in the size of the pub, especially considering the size of the hotel. I was in a room with two queen size beds and was shocked at the teeny tiny bathroom. Also, couldn't believe that breakfast was not included. Pool was fun for the kids at least. Staff was very friendly, Jose was the man behind the bar. Poor guy had to deal with quite the crowd. Fun was had by all. I could see that the rooms had been updated but the "restaurant" could be jazzed up a bit, seemed outdated. Had wanted to stay at another hotel but this was where everyone else in our group was staying. Wouldn't have been my first choice.

• Stayed: November 2009

Reviewed October 28, 2009

Don't be fooled by the current 8/11 tripadvisor rating, as most reviews were from before the recent renovations. Stayed 4 nights for some Crunch/Orangemen games last week.

Pros: Conveniently located right off the I-90 and I-81. Downtown Syracuse and airport under 10 minutes away. Far off main road and not in flight paths, thus the rooms face minimal exterior noise. Warm and charming lobby area. Terrific, well-trained staff throughout the hotel go above and beyond and make one feel welcome. Clean, beautifully remodeled rooms with modern artwork and quality linens - this HI would rival most 4-star Sheraton properties in room attractiveness. Super-quiet and efficient A/C unit. ~60 channels on 32" flat plasma with several upper channels not on outdated listings guide. Pleasant 20-25 minute room service with modest prices (ex: large pizza with 4 toppings $10.95, wings $6.95, sampler $9.50...all very tasty, btw). Trendy little bar area off lobby. Two PCs with color printers in business center.

Cons: All minor. Beds are unlike most other HI offerings. These are softer and springier. Could be a plus or minus depending on your taste. I prefer a firm bed, which is more typical of the HI franchise. Ice machine on 5th floor non-working and leaking, though ones on other levels were efficient. Whirlpool closed for renovation; pool heaters broken (water felt a chilly 65 degrees). If the rest of the hotel serves as any indication, by 2010, it will be well worth it. Tight bathroom with odd 45-degree toilet configuration could use a night light.

Not sure if pro of a con: For a laugh, check out the bizarre vernacular littered throughout the in-service menus... "eggery," "Italian, of course," "beginnings" "kitchen sink" etc.

Tip: If you have an afternoon, I highly recommend the Rosamond Gifford Zoo situated 10 minutes south. Over 1,000 animals with large enclosures in a well-designed manageable space with gorgeous and tranquil surroundings. Relative to most zoos, one can get much closer to the animals, paricularly the lions and penguins, making for some great photos.

Overall, a terrific experience, miles better than the other listed 3-star Best Western down the road. When re-visiting Syracuse, I will be back at the HI Liverpool Exit 37.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This hotel was just remodled and it is very nice. The rooms are very clean and modern. We had a nice convention there and all the personnell were very helpful and kept us well taken care of. The hotel restaurant was also remodled. The food was not as good as I would have expected and it was a bit expensive as well. I would stay there again though.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2009

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool. I wanted to take a few moments to comment on the experience I had while staying at this property. I first wanted to say that the hotel has undergone an amazing renovation. When I first arrived in the lobby area I couldnt believe that this was a Holiday Inn it is so upscale. The staff here was amazing they made us feel like family. The guest rooms were outstanding, with flat screen televisions I felt right at home. I know when people are reading these posts they are usually only reading the bad experiences that people had but that was not the case here. Our stay was amazing and we will be back here to stay soon!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This hotel just went through a major renovation and it all turned out lovely. The rooms were very clean and fresh with new everything. The meeting rooms looked very nice as we walked around the building. The best part of the hotel was the fantastic service from the friendly staff. The whole stay was very pleasant. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2009

When traveling for the weekend with my family we booked a room without any knowledge of the ongoing asbestos removal going on at the hotel. Floors 1-6 would be undergoing the removal for months and neither the website nor the reservation desk had informed us of this! It was not until our arrival and the Health Department signs posted on every door as well as the entire lobby covered in tape and plastic did we find out about the construction/removal project! We promptly cancelled our reservation for a full refund (thankfully) and moved to another hotel nearby. Fortunately, the hotel granted a full refund.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I stayed here for four nights of April of 09. First I asked for a room with a double bed and was told after reserving the room three months in advance no rooms available. I had to move the following day when my roomate arrived to a room with 2 double beds.
The hotel is old, dated and dirty. In both rooms I was in the A/C controls looked like they were never cleaned since the hotel opened. They was a green mold around the industrial toilet in both rooms. When I asked the front desk about ventilation I was told to open a window. The elevators are slow so i used the stairs and there was food in the stairways. Another disappointing experience at a Holiday INN. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liverpool
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse North Airport Area
Staybridge Suites Syracuse/Liverpool
Maplewood Suites Extended Stay - Syracuse/Airport
Best Western Plus Liverpool-Syracuse Inn & Suites
Knights Inn Syracuse/Liverpool
Comfort Inn & Suites Syracuse Airport

Been to Holiday Inn Syracuse/Liverpool Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!