“Famous Hot Dogs”

Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I were heading east on I-90 two days ago and left the highway to find a place for lunch. I saw Heid's and remembered reading about it on Roadfood.com. It was a hard driving rain so we decided to stop there and I was glad we did. We each had hot dogs with sides of baked beans, potato salad, pickles and a delicious red birch beer.

The hot dogs were grilled to perfection. I ate two of them. The potato salad had a spicy, pickled taste and was very good as were the yummy baked beans. Pickle spears are sold as a side order. The house mustard was perfect and the selection of relishes make it hard to choose. The red pepper relish was a standout. This is a self-service place and the line moves fast. They really have it down to a science. The art-deco building is unique. I really enjoy time-tested places like this and hope to make it back here.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I hate to write a negative review. Especially if everybody is marvelling about how great this place is. Many folks are attached to this place for many reasons. True, the diner is loacted in the middle of the action - or let's say used to when cars looked like cars and traffic wasn't chocking the crossroads. Today this place is lost in space and time despite its classy sign. I also bet the hot dogs were better decades ago. Today, nothing special. At least not special enough to wait in line for half an hour; and there is always a line. So why would you want to go there and eat classic American junk? Because memories die hard and we are bad in letting go.

1  Thank Spladi
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Very good food, great atmosphere. A Must stop anytime you are in the Syracuse area. Very friendly folks.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was heading to Niagara Falls with my husband, when we decided to get off the thruway to get lunch. Much better than the rest stops. Anything to hot dogs, burgers, sausage, which my husband said was great and the sea dog, to me a fish fry which was also very good and portioned just right. They also have great onion rings which were nice and crispy. Given it was a warm day, we ate outside and we met a lot of people with their pets. So no need to leave them in the car, with the window cracked.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

It's a hot dog place! Been there since 1917! They serve the classic Hofmann's White Coney Hot Dog (Pork, veal, and egg whites) on the classic New England Style Split-Top Roll. You can get other grilled items there too, but... Why would you?! You can have that with fries if you want, but I much prefer their fresh-cut onion rings! Excellent onion rings! The place is a small diner, with indoor and outdoor seating. The architecture is unique, with streamlined neon-enhanced structural features, rounded windows (check out the restrooms), and back-lit glass block at the entrance. The ambiance is... Just kidding! It's a hot dog diner people! It's a great place for families to go to (inexpensive), but you'll also see teens out on a first date, and Baby Boomers out on their hundredth date too. The ice cream parlor is in a separate building, so if you want a shake, you'll have to go there. I believe they close the ice cream place in the Winter. The view outside is of the local lake and park, and many locals take their dogs out to the park to consume in the Summer. Great place. Highly recommended. A "Must Stop" if you're in the area!