“A yummy slice of history.”

Heid's of Liverpool
Ranked #1 of 118 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a bit biased when it comes to Heid's.
My parents, who got married in 1943, used to go to Heid's on their dates. This is a special place. And I guess you could say this is one of my happy places. I started going there around 30 years ago and it's a must whenever I visit Syracuse.

First, the deco architecture is a feast for the eyes (at least eyes that have a thing for the nostalgic). And then there's the food. The dogs/franks are very different (in terms of size, girth, color, flavor) from what we have here in NYC (Gray's Papaya), but equally as delish. And I don't know anywhere else that has buns like Heid's—split on top instead of on the side and melt-in-your-mouth soft. As for the Coneys, I always eye them on the grill and WANT to order one but predictable me ends up going for the regular hot dog/frank every time. My other faves here are the french fries with gravy, the onion rings, the dill pickles and the birch beer.

It's been about 16 years that my parents have been gone, but Heid's is still hoppin'—providing great memories and food for new generations. They've been in business since 1917 and hopefully they'll be around for another 100 years. Check it out.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I needed a place to stop for lunch to break up a long trip on the New York Thruway. We wanted something a cut above what the service areas offered and found Heid's almost by accident. The sign "Food you will like" painted above the door and the line of customers drew us in. Heid's specializes in hot dogs and coneys with various toppings and sides. The ambiance is very spartan but the food is good and the service is fast. If you are near Syracuse I recommend you give Heid's a try.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

A neighbor in Massachusetts who grew up in Syracuse told us we HAD to go to Heid's. Clearly a local favorite, to judge by the line out the door. You go here for Hot Dog's and Coney's -- and I recommend you go for the Coney -- a slightly more flavorful hot dog. Your choice of toppings -- our son made a version of a Chicago dog with his Coney's and thought it was the best dog he'd ever had. Fries were good. It's a unique local institution!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I am a Hot Dog lover. I had a Hot Dog and Coney with grilled onions. They grill fresh onions to perfection. Both were served hot from the grill. They serve german style Hoffman products. Tasty with a nice snap when you bite into them. Fries were so so.

I had a medium Vanilla Custard Soft Serve in a cone afterward. Not very flavorful. May want to go for their scooped Ice Creams. Their outside seating is across from Wegman's Landing (a park with museum.) Might consider eating in the park rather than sitting outside Heidi's.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Heid's is an institution. You can't get dogs like this on your home grill. It's not a five star restaurant. It's a five star hot dog and it is worth a visit anytime you are in the area. If you haven't been there. Go! If you will be in the area for a visit, go! Locals go for the hot dogs with chocolate milk. Yummy.