“Great Hot Dogs are a local favourite.”

Heid's of Liverpool
Ranked #1 of 121 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stopped in for lunch on our way from Buffalo to Lake George because we heard good things about Heid's in the available tourist info and comments about the food scene in Syracuse. It dogs were tasty, the staff was efficient and the trimmings, including some local ones like sweet red pepper relish and non-sweet dill pickle relish and Heid's signature mustard were excellent when paired with the dogs. Our 23 month old son loved his frank and we tried both the coneys and franks to compare and enjoy the "full" experience. We all preferred the franks to the coneys but were able to say that these were probably some of the best franks that we had every tasted.
If you're in the area around meal time, Heid's is definitely a worth-while stop.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Having grown up in the Syracuse area, I had to go back to Heids and renew the experience. Heids' stock in trade is the Hot Dog and Coney, both made by Hoffmans of Syracuse. While there are other items available such as fries and pickles, most people come for the dogs which were every bit as good as I remembered. While the building is the same as I knew over 50 years ago, it seems to have been cleaned up a bit. If you find yourself in the mood for a "dive" type dining experience, I highly recommend a visit to Heids. Hopefully it won't be so long before my next visit.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great dogs! We had franks & coney's and fries and everything was great. Service was friendly and prompt, and the eating area was clean.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Warm and friendly staff serve up the best of hot dogs and sausages at Heid's. As the Sterns say in their Roadfood guide, " They are handsome sausages with a delicate casing and plump muscular insides." We'll be going back!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This establishment is almost 100 years old and the current restaurant has 1960’s feel to it. Because of all the hype I made a point to grab some doggies on this trip to Syracuse. The location is about 10 minutes north of downtown Syracuse. There is a small eating area inside and more seating outside under a covered top.
When you get in line to order you’ll notice there is a very narrow passageway down the counter. The first stop turns out to be for drink and French fry orders only. You have to wait for the line to move down toward the griddle before ordering the dogs. You can order beer here which is also a treat when having some dogs.
There are two choices of dog, a traditional frank and a coney. The coney is a light gray color in contrast to the red frank (beef and pork). The coney they tell me is a combination of egg whites, pork and veal. Regardless of which dog you order, the price is $2.65. If you got the double dog is $4.69 which is 30 cents cheaper than the single dog. I ordered a double frank and a double coney along with a Texas hot ($3.99) which has chili on it. Once I saw the size of the hot dog roll I quickly came to realize spending the extra 30 cents was well worth it. They use Friehofer ‘s rolls which can hardly hold one dog. These are the New England style, known to be used for lobster roll sandwiches. So at the end of the day you have a “two pounds of boloney in a one pound bag” scenario. If you like to put a lot of mustard on top you better eat with two hands or one of the doggies will be sitting on your lap. The dogs are griddled on only two sides and have a “burn stripe” on them.
The service was sub-par. Everyone that was ahead of me or immediately behind me had some type of a problem with their order including me. Once you complete your order I was tasked with fighting my way back up the narrow corridor between those in line. I came to find out after that a best practice is to not fight through the line but go out the back door, walk around the building and then re-enter the seating area.
The frank was the better of the two and had a little snap to it. The coney was bland and a non-event. As for the Texas hot, the chili was OK but not great, even with raw onions and dark mustard added. Overall a good choice but not in the top ten of hot dog stops. Worth a stop if in the area.