“Old fashioned diner”

Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Followed advice of Trip Advisor reviews and had the hotdogs. Very good quality dogs, nice crisp exterior and a burst of flavour and juicy when you bite into it, liked their special mustard, fries were ok. Not sophisticated by any means, but obviously good when you see the continuous lines at the door and the locals who know what and how to order. Overall a fun quick lunch. And I don't know what was up with the chocolate milk, but so many people were ordering it that I regretted not doing so. There were too many people in line for me to go back, sadly for this chocoholic!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Let me start out by saying I'm not the biggest fan of hot dogs to begin with, but wow. The place isn't the most sophisticated, but wat do you expect from a hot dog joint anyways... The German franks were terrific! I was expecting the dreaded after taste that I generally get with hot dogs, but was pleasantly surprised. The nice factor is that you can do up your own dogs as you wish with the fixings. Enjoy the scenery of Onondaga lake while you enjoy a solid frank. You will not be disappointed and they are still good when they are cold. Just an FYI.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stopped in one night because we saw the place featured on Man vs. Food. I had the Italian sausage with peppers and onions. It was great but my favorite part was their homemade mustard. If I thought I could have gotten it on the plane I would have bought some to take home with me. Fast service and good prices.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

we go out of our way to go to Heid's when we are in town...went over on a Saturday and the line was over 40 people long outside the building...never made it in...went back the next day a the line was a lot shorter...seems they were having a two for 1 special if you brought in a poster...love the hot dogs...bought some heid's mustard to bring home...you can't beat it...go once you will be going forever.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Heid's is a local landmark, beloved by many in the area as a great place to get delicious, locally made hot dogs. The building itself is unique. If you are looking for a quick meal in an interesting place, Heid's is worth a visit.

But don't get carried away by the locals who revere Heid's as if it were a holy shrine. It is, after all, still just a very basic hot dog fast food restaurant. It would earn 5 stars in the limited world of hot dog fast food restaurants but if you keep your culinary perspective, the truth is that you can buy the same hot dogs in a local market and get the same results at home.

I like Heid's and occasionally will indulge in their tasty Hoffman's tube steaks but truthfully, this is not a 4 or 5 star restaurant, and was never intended to be one.

1  Thank Joe H