“Pretty decent, with room for improvement”

AppeThaizing Thai Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 122 Restaurants in Liverpool
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I ate at this modern-looking storefront restaurant tonight, and had what I would call a middle-of-the-road" Thai meal. It was tasty, and the service was very friendly, but yet there was also room for improvement.

The decor of the restuarant is actually very pretty, witha fireplace in the middle of the main dining room, separating the bar from the front tables. It is a "storefront" place, with an entry right off the street, so the ambiance is probably a little nice away from the front windows. But it's all still fairly nice, and never dingy or dirty.

I placed an order for fresh spring rolls, which they could not serve since they were out of the wrappers. So I bypassed the appetizer entirely, as they do serve a small salad with every meal. I ordered mine with a peanut dressing, which was adequate but not special.

For my main course, I ordered one of my usual favorites, a panang curry dish with shrimp and pineapple. I ordered it "hot," although I later learned that hot does not mean HOT. If you want some real heat, you need to order "Thai spicey," which was not explained up front.

The food came out and I was surprised at the relatively small portions on my plate. My dish did have five shrimp on it, but there was little else; a few chunks of pineapple, some pepper, and the sauce itself, which was pretty good. But it was a smaller portion than any Thai place I've ever eaten. Also, I had to go up and ask for some ground red pepper, which I applied three times to bring the dish up to the heat that I desired. I also asked for brown rice instead of white, but this restaurant does not carry it...one of the only Thai restaurants I've ever eaten where they did not include brown rice on the menu.

Once I got the heat up to the level that I desired, the dish tasted pretty good, although there really wasn't enough for me for dinner. I used my rice to stir into the main course in order to extend it a bit.

As I said earlier, the service was very friendly, and the food came out pretty rapidly. But I must admit that this place ranked rather low on my overall list of Thai restaurants, and I probably will try some others than return to dine here.

Joe J, Manager at AppeThaizing Thai Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2013

Hi JKStayathomemommy,

Thanks so much for your thorough review and we're so sorry that you didn't meet your expectation. We took your feedback seriously and will forward to the chef for improvement. Again, Thank you very much for your feedback and hope you give us a chance to serve you again.

Best Regards,