“Still a beautiful location with very good food.”
Review of Beardslee Castle

Beardslee Castle
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in Little Falls
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been to Beardslee before- 6 years ago. Unfortunately this time we happened to be there during the first week of school. The place was deserted. Literally we were the only people in the entire place at 8pm.
The menu is much different than the last time I was here.( was hoping for the BBQ eels ) I'm told the menu is different all the time.
The server was very nice and is very versed in the menu, she was able to answer all my questions. BIG plus here - they make gluten free bread in house.
The food is good - the portions especially of the soup were large - you might want to share with a couple of people if you're ordering soup.
I still recommend their seafood- I had scallops this time and they were well seasoned and cooked perfectly. My friend couldnt eat anything else after the french onion soup she was totally stuffed and didnt even finish the bowl. :)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

One of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Close your eyes and when you open them you would believe you were in an Irish Castle.. Food is wonderful and menu changes daily. Service super good! Grounds beautiful. Everyone should visit and dine here at least once. We make it a point to take all of our out of town guests here even though it is an hour drive. recommend highly!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was a super bad experience, which is a shame because at least one of the service people (Hannah) seemed to be really trying hard. The "speed of service" (I use the term loosely) my group experience here was absolutely horrific. As an example, it took 12 minutes for us to receive menus once we were seated, and 27(!) minutes for our drink order to be taken. I should probably mention that there were somewhere near 7 other people in the restaurant other than my table.

Additionally, our drink glasses were very often empty. In fact, I actually went downstairs into the bar area at one point to order a round of drinks, since there was no table service forthcoming. The downstairs bartender was fantastic, by the way. Once our salads arrived to the table, the one waitress (never gave her name), literally dropped them off while she was still moving! It was my first ever "drive-by salading".

Once our meals finally arrived (one hour and 44 minutes after we ordered - which was a long time after we were seated), it shouldn't have been a surprise that 50% of the entrees were incorrect (2 were very cold, 2 were misprepared (rare/well done), and one was completely the wrong dish.

So...what could I do? I asked to speak with the manager (owner). Wrong move on my part. I got to have a conversation with someone who acted _very_ defensive. I even explained that I was only trying to provide feedback, not really, y'know, complain. I just shared the facts of my evening so far. I basically was told "Sorry if _you_ think the service is bad". When I got back to the table, the rest of the party said "Was she actually arguing with you?!".

The food was marginal, but even if it had been fantastic, it wouldn't have made up for the poor experience overall. On the upside, the physical restaurant itself is stunning. Very very pretty. I wonder if you can bring your own food in and just rent a table?

3  Thank Greg W
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great food, the service for a pass dinner was a little slow. The venue is breathtaking. There Craft Beer selection was very nice in the Dungeon. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Frankly, I wasn't really expecting much - I wanted to go for dinner with my husband, based solely on the fact that it was a "castle" - needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised! The portions were generous & the food was quite good (brussels sprout appetizer was excellent - try it even if you think you don't like brussels sprouts). The gator cake, on the other hand was a miss - more filler than gator, a little tough, however, the sauce it was served with was excellent! I had the steak that was cooked & seasoned well, however, I found it a little tough, but the sides (blackened green beans & creamy mashed potatoes were right on the money). All in all, the meal was pleasant, the walk around the grounds was lovely & because we were early for dinner (5:00) we were able to explore the dungeon and main dining room which both have a lot of character before sitting down to dinner. It was a fun night out & with 3 appetizers, 1 gin & tonic, 1 glass of wine & 2 mains the bill was about $93 - not an unreasonable sum. I took away a star only because communication was a bit of a nightmare - they are only open Thursday - Saturday. I requested my reservation date and time via email (as instructed on their website), followed up with 3 more emails (no response to any of them) & finally just showed up on the appointed date 3 hours early (I'm a 6 hour drive away) & hoped for the best. The wait staff was accommodating and attentive - needless to say, I would have been very disappointed if I couldn't have dinner there after driving all that distance!