“Pleasant Surprise, (Thank Goodness)!”
Review of Bay Vue

Bay Vue
Reserve with OpenTable
Bay Vue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 84 Restaurants in Lindenhurst
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My wife and I just moved our boat to the marina where the Bay Vue restaurant is located and decided to check it out last night for dinner. However, having read the negative reviews that this restaurant has been getting, not only under its present name, but also under the name that it used to go under, "Lighthouse On The Bay," we certainly had reason for concern.

Thus, when we went last night -- to celebrate our wedding anniversary -- the very first thing I did was introduce ourselves to our waitress and immediately let her know that we were VERY concerned about the poor reviews the place was getting, but were willing to test the place out anyway. I made it clear, however, that she AND the chef were on notice; that they should try hard NOT to disappoint us. I also told her that either way the night went, we would be posting a review to tripadvisor. In her favor, she was thankful for our honesty and promised that she would do whatever she could to make our visit a pleasant one.

In short, she did, and it was.

We went with their specials of the night, figuring that if the chef is calling those dishes "special," that they very may turn out to be "special." For an appetizer, we split a baked clam dish that they had, and it was very, very good, was presented very nicely, and was spiced perfectly. Then, my wife had the salmon special which she absolutely loved, evidence by the quickness in which she devoured it. I had the linguini with clams and there were plenty of clams onboard to keep me happy.

When we couldn't decide between two wines that we wanted, the waitress brought us samples of both, which was very helpful and allowed us to make a pick that worked well for our dinner.

All in all, I'd have to give this trip to this restaurant "two thumbs up," and pay it the best compliment that anyone could give to a restaurant, and that being: We WILL go again!

2  Thank RobertCep

Reviewed August 5, 2013

"Sprouting up from the coastal devastation of Super Storm Sandy, rises this unexpected surprise along the waterfront of all places, Lindenhurst. Formerly known locally as a beer and shot, fried fish favorite that closed, the Bay Vue has morphed into a dining experience that stands out among dockside eating along the South Shore. The New England Clam Chowder with a slight smoky flavor was memorable and an essential starter. For appetizers we veered off the main menu onto an unusual sushi supplement looking for old favorites. Yummy Balls are worth ordering just to watch the waiter's shy reaction to "How's your Yummy Balls?" They are delightful tuna-stuffed rice balls that arrived three to the serving and was a perfect tasting to share. The menu described the entrees completely, as did the server reading the dinner specials for the day that seemed to underscore the results of a highly trained chef with a culinary passion for adventure. Waterfront dining outdoors at Bay Vue on a beautiful July evening surely enhances the experience and ensures a return visit. But in this case, I'll also look forward to a weekday indoors, in January, as well.”

2  Thank jackier251
Reviewed July 22, 2013

DO NOT EAT HERE. I do not recommend this place to anyone. I don’t typically write reviews however I had the worst experience ever at this place and I want to prevent others from dealing with the bad service and headache this restaurant gives out. A group of us had recently went to dine at this establishment hoping to have a nice relaxing time unfortunately we experienced the opposite. Our server had no idea what she were doing or any knowledge about the food/ drinks. Our server also would disappear for quite some time leaving us to be without food or drinks for 20 to 30 minutes at a time. When we did place our order the server had brought out something different. When we requested alterations to be made to a dish, i.e. sushi without the rice, our server needed to check if it was available and again did not return for another 20 minutes. It took excessively long to receive any drinks or food and we wind up having to send back the drinks several times since it was not what was ordered. The food was a major disappointment as well. We received our food after it was already cold, and was not what I thought it would be, especially for the price. The price on both the food and drinks were excessively over priced which I felt that the atmosphere, service, and quality of food and drinks did not live up to the price. When we requested to speak to the manager, she did not seem too interested in our situation. Although we had sent many of the items that were wrong back, we were still charged for them and the manager felt that it was justified. This place is NOT customer friendly at all and made for the whole experience incredibly awful and disappointing. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT. Absolutely horrible experience, and NONE of us will be back.

2  Thank Teresa K
Reviewed July 22, 2013

In all my life never have I ever had such terrible food, service and treatment. This business owner needs to go back to school and study business 101. I go out to eat at least twice a week and have been doing so for well over ten years. The waitress had no idea what she was doing. She was not familiar with any of the items on the menu. and was no where to be found whenever we wanted to order food or drinks. The drinks and food were very overpriced. When the food arrived it was cold and was not even remotely close to what the menu had portrayed. In addition, we were over-charged by 100 percent on all drinks. i.e. $16 for a single serving Rum and Coke. I had to do a double take to remind myself I wasn't at the W Hotel in South Beach Miami. I asked for the manager and she wasn't interested in making us happy. I paid the bill but refused to sign the receipt because I am disputing the charge with my credit card company. If the manager had done the right thing, I would have at least gone back for a few drinks because the view is beautiful. I will never go back to this restaurant and would never recommend this place to anyone. DZH BABYLON.

1  Thank Dan H
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We visited and from the outside didn't expect the beauty that lay within. The water view and Fire Island lit up at night could take your breath away. The decor is very basic. Nothing fancy. We started with fried calamari which weren't greasy and came with a tomato sauce and a sweet sauce. We liked both. Three salads and one soup were all very good. My main was halibut over polenta with a corn emulsion. It was to die for delicious. Everyone else liked their main course a lot too. We shared the cookie monster for dessert. I'm not quite sure exactly what was in it but it was fabulously delicious. And big enough for all of us to have a nice portion.

The negatives....there were many empty tables when we arrived and the bar was busy but not stuffed by any means. Yet we were told it was an hour and a half wait for an outdoor table. We were hungry and opted for in door. We were seated next to a party of 10 that were very loud. We couldn't even talk to each other. We asked several times if we could at least sit in the covered patio (which had 5 empty tables - we counted) and were told no. Finally, for dessert, we were allowed to move outside (where there were now 8 empty tables - it was late at this point).

The food was great. The view was unbelievablely beautiful. Would we go back. I'd have to think about the attitude of the sitters before I do. (The wait staff was wonderful, by the way). It's funny the things you remember most AFTER the dinner is over.

1  Thank Yayaof7