Maplewood Hotel
$55
$214
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfront porchsmall bathroombox fanfront desk staffsinkhauntedrockersrefrigeratorhalllake
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Having been to Lilidale in the past and enjoyed everything about the peace, tranquility and history of the place, when my daughter and I decided to participate in a late evening workshop, we booked a room to stay overnight at the Maplewood Hotel. I booked months before the arrival date for both the workshop, which was excellent, and the room which was not.

We didn't expect the amenities usually enjoyed at a modern hotel, understanding the age of the place, but did expect the basics. We went up to the third floor and opened the door, and although sparsely furnished at first glance it seemed OK. As the evening went on, however, we noticed that there was garbage under one bed, and the beds, although made up to look like a soldier had made them, were actually used bedding. My bed still had a large wad of kleenex in it. After that, neither of us would use the bathtub as it seemed that we were assigned the room that the cleaning crew forgot! Although the desk clerk came right up and remade the beds (not enough linen available) there was no apology or sense that this issue would be taken any further. As we then went to bed (on top of the sheets), we heard the bedsprings creak - at least they drowned out the snoring next door. They could not however drown out the party on the porch, and the after party on the picnic table under our window, keeping in mind that every window in the hotel was open. We asked that they please lower their voices as we had been trying for over 2 hours to get some sleep - it was their third time being asked. All in all, I got about 2-3 hours sleep.

I will write a letter to the management, but since the same sort of complaints have been posted here over the years and nothing has been done, I'm sure the effort will be futile. I wish I had visited this site before booking.

Overall, I enjoy Lilidale as lot, and the workshop was excellent, but next time we will head home afterwards - we would have been much better off.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
27  Thank Sukie453
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Any one who's coming to the Maplewood knows that this is an old place with alot of character, but not alot of amenities. There's no tv's, radios, telephones. You go there to look within yourself and not be distracted by modern technology. The Maplewood is so charming and has great energy. The people are fantastic. Hang out on the big porch in a rocker and listen to fascinating discussion. I've tried hotels outside the Dale but they either cost way too much money or are disgusting. Plus, you miss something just coming and going, rather than staying there overnight. You'll have a great stay if you manage your expectations and aren't looking for luxury! Bring a fan if it's going to be hot, and take an extra blanket if it's going to be cool.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
11  Thank Nkwoman
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I didn't have a problem with the hotel being old, but there this place needs a major overhaul. Little did we know that "bathroom" attached means a toilet and a tub with the world's smallest faucet so you still need to go to the public bathroom to take a shower and wash your hair. The rooms are SO hot and they were out of portable fans. You can hear everything, including people walking by your room at 3 a.m. and the partying on the porch. I didn't come close to a good night's sleep the entire week. After speaking to several people who go there every year, we will stay at one of the little B&B's in Lily Dale the next time we go.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Zazu22
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We made a reservation at this hotel with no high expectations of a 19th century structure. In fact we were looking forward to experiencing some old world charm. Upon checking in we found the room was not equipped with the number of beds we needed which was fine, a roll away cot was brought up right away. We were all in desperate need of a nap but couldn't immediately settle in because the room was disgustingly dirty and the window seemed nailed shut. The room was furnished with antiques which were covered in thick layers of dust and dust bunnies. The bathroom which still had its original fixtures was something out of a horror movie. We are aware that rust stains can be very difficult to remove and doesn't necessarily equate to being unsanitary but upon seeing fresh urine stains on the toilet seat it make us recoil. There was only a soaking tub but by then we had a serious aversion to using it. It was too Silence of the Lambs.

We were determined to make do with the accommodations up until we woke up from our two hour nap. One of us had a bite on her arm and to my horror, an engorged bed bug was crawling on my pillow. I immediately killed it between my thumbnails. This was the last straw and we hauled out of there. We let it be known to the young man at the front desk though he clearly thought we were making it up. He said we won't be charged for the balance we paid upfront but will have to speak to the manager regarding getting our deposit back. We returned the next morning to speak to her but I did was not able to get a word in at all. She had already made up her mind about us. She said there has been no complaints before, their mattresses are covered with plastic and the young man checked our bites and saw none. He didn't ask to inspect anything. Plus plastic or no plastic, bedbugs also live in floorboards and behind walls. Our room has two large cracks in the walls where these critters could very well live. We were asked whether we had proof of the offending insect which of course we didn't have since it was a nymph which ceased to look anything resembling an insect after I had squashed it. So note to self: if you see a bedbug, do not freak out and kill it. Store it in a jar which I will henceforth always carry with me in case of bed bug dispute.

I would recommend staying in the guest homes instead or 7 miles away in the chain motels. After Maplewood, they all seem 5 star.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
19  Thank Georgetrotter
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I spent 10 days there this summer. It was my first time and I loved it. It was quiet and peaceful and the lake was beautiful. I loved the cool rainy weather and the interesting people I met on the porch of the Maplewood Hotel where I stayed. The hotel is old and not very luxe but was clean and the price was right and the front desk people were friendly and helpful. I am planning another trip in September. The streets were muddy so I'd bring better shoes next time.

6  Thank Lisa90274