“A hotel with no maid service??!! Don't bother staying here”

Knights Inn Liberty
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Liberty
Richmond, VA
“A hotel with no maid service??!! Don't bother staying here”
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My husband and I are originally from Liberty NY and traveled up there for the weekend of March 21st for a family event. We decided to rent a room rather than impose on family. We made our reservation on Howard Johnson's site but when we got there they had no record of it, fortunately we had our confirmation page. The posted room rate at the hotel was less than the rate with our supposed discount on the internet!! The area does suffer from a lot of deteriorating buildings so the run down appearance wasn't too upsetting, though this should have been another warning sign. Office staff seemed friendly.

On Saturday morning we left a ten dollar tip for the maid and instructions just to make up the bed, don't bother changing the sheets, and give us fresh towels. When we returned around 6 pm we saw no one had been to our room. My husband was told that they only change the towels and do the rooms every other day, and today was not that day!! And we were reluctantly given fresh towels!! Now we understand that some hotels are trying to conserve water and resources, however there was no sign in the room indicating this. I make my own bed at home every day, who wants to do that when you are PAYING for a room? I have never stayed at a hotel where they didn't AT LEAST make up the room.

In case this sounds picky, try dealing with the loud, argumentative sounding people in the parking lot and then up and down the hallway, slamming doors for about an hour after midnight.

This hotel should not have the Howard Johnson name. If it had been my first stay at a Howard Johnson, I would never consider another in the chain.

Do not stay here!! If no service is ok with you, try camping!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SuperSuzyM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2008

This is the worste hotel chain i've ever stayed in. From the looks of the exterior we didn't want to stay there, but the days inn down the road was booked so we had no choice. First of all the hotel staff was extremly rude. It took forever to book the room b/c the lady at the desk never would greet me and proceeded to talk on the phone while i stood there trying to ask her the rates and such. We needed it for a week and the sign said weekly rates $400, but when we asked it was $600, false advertisement! We ended up only stayihg one night b/c the room was so filthy. They told us that the ceiling had been leaking (a little) but when we got in the room everything was very wet, the beds, floor, and even the toilet paper! When we tried to get another room four employees came into our room along with their young children and proceeded to say that it just "felt" we b/c the air conditioner had been on. They showed us another room we could change to, but when we went in to that one it was even worse. The beds were no joke, soaking wet! It was so aweful! Not to mention the walls are so thin that when i went to sleep i could actually hear the people in the next room turn their light switch off.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Southeast
Reviewed July 28, 2008

July 25-26, 2008

The hotel is old and not well maintained. It looks as if things should have been replaced or fixed years ago. The stairs to the upper floor were a prime example. The front of the stair was missing so it easily created a dangerous footing if you weren't paying attention. Another example were the green bathroom fixtures where the water has dripped over the years. The shabbiness of the hotel could be overlooked if the place was clean, but it wasn't. The room looked as if it hadn't been wiped down in a long while and the bathroom needed much more cleaning, especially the walls of the shower and the tub itself. We could see shampoo/soap scum on the walls and mildew in the grout. The bedding was long past its prime and not clean. We used the sheets but avoided the bedspread and blanket (it was disgusting). The towels were old and many had brown stains. Excess hair around the bathroom and on the towels was another problem.

We did have trouble communicating with the desk staff because they did not speak English very well. They were often abrupt/rude with us. We should have known there were going to be problems when they asked us to "check the room before we decide to stay." A cursory glance at nine at night does not always show you everything right away. If we had an alternative, we would have left.

I might add that the "free breakfast" consisted of an English muffin, bagel, two choices of cereal, juice, and coffee. Cream cheese and jelly was "community style" with everyone dipping their knife in at will. There was some fruit but the flies were thick around it.

I could go on and on about this place but I won't. I suggest you drive to Middletown to stay or look into the Days Inn next door to this hotel. Overall, the place gave us the creeps but we had no alternative.

• Liked — absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — the whole place...it's a dump
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank SoutheastWeed
New York
Reviewed March 1, 2008

When we first arrived at the hotel we noticed that there was hair on the towels and the door didn't lock properly but we just brushed that off. But when we went to get into bed we noticied there was blood on the sheets. We felt very disgusted so we packed up and went downstairs to try and get our money back. The poor customer service did not want to give us our money back. She just wanted to just change the sheets. I don't think so. They should have done that before we checked in. We finally got our money back after speaking with 3 different people and a half hour later. One reason they didn't want to give us our money back was because they told us that we did not follow the policy of checking your sheets within the half hour of checking in. Who has that kind of policy? And if they do have they policy they were neglient in telling us. When they finally gave us our money back they put me in the computer system that we were not allowed to stay there and make reservations with them again.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Jasrob
Rockford, Michigan
Reviewed January 11, 2008

This Hotel has lacked basic maintenance and cleaning for some time. I only booked here because my other choice was not available; I will never do that again. Not filthy, but almost. Not broken, but almost. Nothing in this location justifies the cost of the room.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — staff surliness
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank dwynep
bronx new york
Reviewed September 17, 2007

Never go there! service is horrible. We got there late friday and the lady at the front desk did not greet us. I told her we had a reservation under gonzalez. She looked on a sheet of paper and said that she didn't see my name on the list of reservation for today and that maybe I had cancelled my reservation. I told her "why would I cancell my reservation and show up today after driving 2 hours from the city". I told her to call expeida to confirm. Whild she was confirming she found my name on the list with my name revearsed. She said is was my fault because I wrote it down that way in the internet. I told her here is my itinaray and my name shows Gonzalez first. She proceeded with telling me she only has a smoking room with full size bed. I told her that I booked a NONSMOKING ROOM and 2 double beds. She asked if my kids were small I said NO CAN"T you see for yourself that they are big!! She couldn't also believe that we were getting a room at $69 a night too. She made it known that i was paying very cheap and that the room rate is $100. THis was a horrible experience. I never have recieved this type of service before. The entry of the hall smelled like cigarettes. My bathroom tub needed more cleaning. The furniture is very old. THe walls were DIRTY. The coplimentary breakfast sucks. The fruits were old. The bagels were old. Everything of this place is old. I will never go there again. SOrry i had booked this place!!!!!!!!1

Stayed September 2007
2 Thank gonz2305
New York
Reviewed August 18, 2007

While this was not the worst place I've seen, it certainly wasn't the best. This was a Howard Johnson, so of course, I didn't expect any extras but I do expect the place to look clean upon arrival. The place was okay but as I walked to the desk to check in, I could smell the scent of curry in the air which only got strong as I went up the stairs. The stair well floors were dirty adn could have used a vacuuming. As I got to the other side of the hallway, to my relief, the smell of curry faded. I opened the door to the room and upon first inspection, it looked okay. Nothing luxurious or new. You can tell the place has some years on it and there are obvoius signs of water damage. The bathroom was not the best. There were visible signs of mildew on the tiles and the toilet didn't flush. We called the desk and that was immediately repaired. During the night, we pulled back the covers on the bed and discovered a yarmulke in the bed. Imagine the horror to find something that was meant to be worn on someones head, in the bed! It was in the middle of the night and we only needed to use one bed so we just jumped into the second bed. We complained at the desk because what this makes us suspect is that the sheets weren't changed. Somewhere along the way, our complaint may have been lost. When we came back to the room, the sheets appeared to have been changed but the yarmulke was now placed on OUR clothing stack. At this point, you just don't know what to do. I don't even know if they understood that we had FOUND something in the bed that wasn't ours. Like I wrote at first, while this is not the worst I've seen, it certainly appeared as if these people are somewhat new to the hotel business and are winging it. I won't stay here again. If you can deal with the fact that the sheets may not be changed between customers, then go right ahead and stay. At least the towels were clean.

• Liked — clean towels
  • Disliked — overall dirty run down place
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank HDarchan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liberty
Best Western Monticello
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#2 of 3 in Liberty
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Knights Inn Liberty? Share your experiences!