“First and Last Time Staying at a HoJo”

Knights Inn Liberty
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Liberty
CANADENSIS
“First and Last Time Staying at a HoJo”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Words fail me as I try to write this review. At check in the desk agent was saying three rooms and I kept saying no four. It was til the end that she figured out that one of use had made a separate reservation.

The I woke up at 3 am and wanted some ice so that I could drink the soda I had purchased the evening before, cold. When I returned to my room the key would not slip into the slot. After waking up the night desk agent, I was asked about three time by different people if there was another guest in the room. Seems they didn't believe me when I said no. And if there had been would I have had to wake them up to resolve the problem. Then I was told they would put me in another room until the morning. My medications, money, motorcycle keys and clothes were in the room. That meant I couldn't do anything until the morning. Besides I was on a motorcycle trip with friends, we would not be able to start until they got the problem fixed. They also accused my friends of sabotaging the door. Finally others were woken up. Now that I felt they were trying to do something I was able to relax and went to another room. I was woken up two hours later saying that they had cut the door between my room and another down and I was able to get back into my room. Other than saying it wasn't their fault, which I agree with, it was their treatment of me that upset me. Not even an offer of a reduced rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 24, 2012

second day at hotel manager yelled down the hall to me about changing my room, when I finally realized she was speaking to me and went up to her she stated I would have to change my room due to expectation of college students and families who would need double room and she would get full price, whereas my agency was paying a discount rate. Fax machine was broken and had to go to Staples in order to fax important documents; couldn't get my room cleaned for 2 weeks and when it was done only changed the sheets made the beds and replaced towels in bathroom, did not clean bathroom or vacum floor. First time room was cleaned was told had to be in the afternoon, left came back room was still not cleaned, had to sit in lobby twice in order for room to be cleaned. Next request for room to be cleaned call desk about 1:00 p.m. and was yelled at over the phone saying "you have to call early", next request I went to the desk and was told maid does not come in until after 10;00 p.m. because there was only 3 check-outs enough for 3 hours of work and did not want her to stand around and talk while on the clock at this time the maid came into the lobby at 9:00 and was told she should not have come until after 10;00, this is the day my room was partially cleaned while I went to the store. Informed the desk of unclean bathroom and no vacuuming of room was told to tell maid the next day, never saw one. No one picks up the garbage and it is stacked by the back door next to the garbage can. This staff is obsessed with saving or making money and not with the guests, soda machine out of order for last two weeks with sign saying "sodas at desk". I am a travel nurse and have stayed at hotels short term and long term many times but have never seen such rudeness and unconcern from staff members before. I did not pick this hotel my company did and I am trying to see if I can be relocated at this time. Would not recommend this hotel to any other travelers that I know.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Livermore, California
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I don't know where to begin with what was wrong with this hotel. It is disgusting and they have nerve charging $129/night! Had we not been shut out of any other decent hotel in the area we would NEVER have stayed here. Upon entry to the halls an immediate stench up into the dark hallways with old cheap wood doors that are warped and hard to close and paper thin. Enter into a room with a high wood ceiling, dark carpet and drapes. The smell was horrible and indescribable. I think there must be dead mice or rats in the walls as that's what it smells like. Sheets, towels, bedspreads are old, stained and paper thin. They ought to be ashamed reusing them, don't even look clean as there are too many stains. We opened the drapes and released several flies that were also searching for a way out! The phone didn't work and I had to sanitize all table tops and chairs. Didn't look like the cleaning crew pay much attention to vacuum either. Air conditioner worked but we got terribly sick after from the bacteria that was blowing out of the ancient, filthy unit. I applied bug guard to my legs and ankles to make sure I didn't get bitten by bed bugs, didn't sleep all night!
Any positives??? The toilet and sink were relatively new and looked clean. Tub could've used some more cleaning as well as shower curtain but there was hot water. Ironically I received an online survey shortly after my stay and shared these concerns. The Hotel manager emailed me but didn't leave a return address, LOL. As for the breakfast, didn't even go near, had no appetite in this place. The smell of boiled eggs didn't help.
I endured two nights in this pit only to be near my daughter who was at camp. No wonder this hotel is not on the recommended list provided by the camp. Next time I will drive the 90 minutes down the mountain before I ever step foot into this hotel.

Room Tip: Keep driving!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vestal, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We spent a wonderful night at the Howard Johnsons in Liberty, NY. The king size bed we slept in was so comfortable. It was the best bed in all the hotels, motels, condos we have slept in. My husband and I are big people and we always have problems with beds, even in luxury hotels. This bed was wonderful. Plenty of pillows, toiletries, towels, hot water. The air conditioning was on when we arrived. The check in clerk was friendly and polite. Whatever we needed was provided. She even asked if we forgot anything at home that she could provide us. So Friendly!!! The continental breakfast, however, was lacking. There was not much to speak of. And we enjoy a hot breakfast.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 107 on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank krn
Maywood, New Jersey
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were up there camping but a terrible storm forced up to find a hotel. Since we already spend money on a campsite, we thought we would save a little on the unplanned stay in a hotel. The room was clean but there was a smell throughout the hotel. We checked for bedbugs first. then pillows had stains. Luckily we had our pillows for camping. The bathroom was skeevier than the campground.
The a/c was on Max. It never got cool in the room. :(
Someone asked the staff about a breakfast place nearby after looking at a unappetizing display of basic food items. "None I know of" HELLO the LIBERTY DINER is around the corner and it was packed.
The Room is whole $59 at best. "At least we were out of the rain for the night" as my daughter said.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
syracuse, ny USA
Reviewed August 2, 2012

When our van broke down across the street at 11:30 pm, they acted like it was an inconvenience that we stopped by looking for 2 rooms. At first we were told that there was only one non-smoking room. Eventually they "found" a second non-smoking room, but made us feel like we were lucky to get it. The bed on one of the rooms was broken and crashed to the floor. There was no fan in the bathroom. The complimentary breakfast was simple, and the tables were full. They did have swiss cake rolls for breakfast, which surprised me. I had to ask for a detailed receipt upon check-out, as I had only been given a basic credit card receipt the night before, which is not sufficient for work. There is a little pool out back, with crooked picnic tables and no ambiance. There is a desk with a internet-ready computer in the entryway, as well as a vending machine. Otherwise, I didn't look around too much.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I booked this room at least two months in advance and got a cheaper rate because of my AAA membership. The hotel was sold out because many of us were in town for a concert at Bethel Woods. When I checked in, the woman at the front desk kept commenting that my rate was soooo cheap and how lucky I was. I realize now that she was upset that they didn't charge a premium rate for that night since there aren't that many hotels in this area.

The room was awful! Granted, I made the mistake of booking a smoking room when I wanted a non-smoker. It smelled like stale cigarettes, mildew and sweat. The pillows were ancient and flat, the bedspreads had burn holes in them and were probably purchased in the 1970s. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked on the shower walls and falling off. The tub was stained and mildewing, and there was plenty of dirt not swept up in the corners and behind the doors.

This hotel is an absolute wreck. The siding and trim is falling off on the outside, there are piles of trash and weeds all over the place, ladders just standing around under the windows of the rooms.

Upon checkout, the owner just ignored me for a few minutes while I stood there, never looked up from what he was doing and just dismissed me with a wave of his hand. Very rude. There is a big sign behind the desk that states "No refunds under any circumstances." Gee, I wonder why? The AAA rate was $110. This place should only be charging about $50 a night.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liberty
Best Western Monticello
Budget Inn Motel
Budget Inn Motel
#2 of 3 in Liberty
Villa Roma Resort and Conference Center

Been to Knights Inn Liberty? Share your experiences!